Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am still waiting to hear a better "transliteration" for <<une>> than "yoon".

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:31 PM
rex
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't really know why Fodors shut down this thread - - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34545411 - - but at least two &quot;prominent&quot; and reasonably respected veteran Fodorites decried my &quot;phonetic spelling&quot; of how to pronounce the French word <i><b>une</b></i>. I wrote it as &quot;yoon&quot;.

The argument is NOT over how to pronounce &quot;une&quot;. I know how to pronounce it, and I know how to describe what to do with your mouth to do it.

But if a non-French speaker wants a &quot;cheat sheet&quot; reminder of how to say &quot;une&quot;, then I want to know - - what better pseudo-phonetic spelling could there be than &quot;yoon&quot;?

There is a hint of &quot;een&quot; or &quot;yeen&quot;, and clearly, &quot;oon&quot; way misses the boat.

What better representation would a French (and American English) speaker make, that is more on target than &quot;yoon&quot;?

I think this can be civilly discussed.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:33 PM

I think I might phonetically spell it &quot;eewn&quot;. But if I could, I'd only put in 1.5 e's. It's a shorter ee sound than ee implies, but longer than just one e would be there.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:40 PM
rex
Original Poster

Well, I do at least respect your serious reply, jlm. I even did think that maybe &quot;ee-oon&quot; might be better (there has been an objection to using a &quot;y&quot; to represent the vowel iin une).

But I go back to the notion that this is intended as a crutch for someone who has not studied French. Show

yoon

and

eewn

and

ee-oon (or even ee-yoon)

to a hundred people on the street, nd I think they will immediately know how to pronounce the first, and stumble over the other to (or three).

Moreover, record and play back whatever they say, given those three transliterations- - and I bet there will be NO correlation to what they were shown and what it sounded like when they tried to pronounce it.

But I will gladly ask for a poll - - if you have NOT studied French - - are you more comfortable knowing how to approach &quot;yoon&quot; or &quot;eewn&quot;?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:42 PM
rex
Original Poster

Thinking further, maybe &quot;ewn&quot; ought to be a candidate also. Would it really be pronounced different than &quot;yoon&quot;?

Does anyone actually propose that there is a difference between you, yoo and ewe?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'd say, put your lips like you are going to say a E but say a U. But I can;t do it
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:48 PM
rex
Original Poster

While we're at it, I'll take any candidates others want to thrwo out for Etats Unis, also.

I would write:

Ay-tahz-yoo-nee intentionlly expressing it as if it is all one word; ay-tah-zyoo-nee looks more intimidating to non-French speakers, I submit.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM
rex
Original Poster

No &quot;descriptive intructions&quot; allowed, mimi...

Write it as you would for a cheat sheet.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 03:54 PM

What does that mean?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM

Might as well add the &uuml; in the mix. The official phonetic representation of the French &quot;u&quot; as in <i>une</i> and &uuml; is a y, if I remember correctly.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:03 PM

My French teacher many years ago told us to form our mouths as if saying the letter &quot;o.&quot; Then, holding that pose, try to say &quot;e.&quot;

But the, I'm immediately pegged as an American in France, so I guess I'm not doing it right anyway.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:16 PM

I get by with <i>uhn</i> from the throat which forces you to eat the <i>n</i> sound.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:19 PM
rex
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;Write it as you would for a cheat sheet.&gt;&gt;

Author: cigalechanta
Date: 12/10/2004, 07:54 pm

============================

You're serious, I assume...

Write it, with <b>one</b> &quot;word&quot;, as if for a phrase book, like a Berlitz, or a Rick Steves...

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:21 PM
rex
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;I get by with <i>uhn</i> from the throat which forces you to eat the n sound.&gt;&gt;

This sounds like how you would try to represent &quot;un&quot;, not &quot;une&quot;.

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Author: rex ([email protected])
Date: 12/10/2004, 07:42 pm

Message: Thinking further, maybe &quot;ewn&quot; ought to be a candidate also. Would it really be pronounced different than &quot;yoon&quot;?

Does anyone actually propose that there is a difference between you, yoo and ewe?&quot;

Yes Rex, I propose there is a difference. I pronounce it &quot;ewn&quot; as &quot;ew&quot; doesn't have the &quot;y&quot; sound of &quot;yoon&quot;. I have taught French for 5 years, and still studying the language after 35 years. I have never been pegged as an American in France. Instead I am always pegged as a Brit. It's amazing. I have finally decided that it is something in my deep Southern drawl that sounds more like a British brogue than most of the American accents they hear.

Now, all that said, I am still unsure of why we are discussing this. There is not enough help on a travel board for a non-French speaker. And I don't think their pronunciation of &quot;une&quot; is going to make or break them.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Ok...OON
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:03 PM

actually &quot;une&quot; is easy once you have heard it said aloud. &quot;Un&quot; is harder to describe and harder to get right in speech, IMHO

Rex, let's hear you say (or spell phonetically) that most beautiful of sentences:

&quot;La lune ne garde aucune rancune&quot;
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:11 PM

T.S. Elliot? The moon harbors no ill feelings,, or maybe resentments?
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM

&quot;Yoo&quot; and &quot;ew&quot; are diphthongs: ee-oo, but &quot;une&quot; contains a pure vowel, pronounced as others have suggested by rounding the lips for &quot;o&quot; and saying &quot;ee&quot;. It cannot be represented in Roman orthography.
Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM
rex
Original Poster

&lt;&lt;Now, all that said, I am still unsure of why we are discussing this.&gt;&gt;

Because I was lampooned, without any alternative spelling, on the aforementioned thread.

But I admit that this is all a futile exercise. Representing &quot;une&quot; is a piece of cake, compared to yeux. I just <i><b>do not</b></i> have a good way to represent this word in (American) &quot;English&quot; spelling, I don't care what letters you want to put together. Ironically, it's not that hard to explain. Start with wood (or would or should or could or good), remove the &quot;d&quot; sound, and substitute &quot;y&quot; for the first consonant. Not perfect, but reasonably close.

Now for &quot;La lune ne garde aucune rancune&quot;

Recognizing that this butchers its beauty (byoo-tee)...

lah lyoon nuh gard oh-kewn raw-kyoon

- - or I might substitute raw(n)-kyoon - - but I would want to explain that the (n) means that there is a &quot;flavor&quot; of &quot;n&quot;, nut no actually &quot;n sound&quot;. I would use the example &quot;donkey&quot; versus Don Key (which has a clear &quot;n sound&quot. &quot;donkey&quot; isn't really pronounced &quot;daw-kee&quot; - - I would represent it as &quot;daw(n)-kee&quot;, as opposed to &quot;Dahn Kee&quot; (the name).

Un neuf, Inn dide... un neuf...

Old Dec 10th, 2004, 06:57 PM

&quot;une&quot; does not have a y in front of it, not at all. For a non-French speaker, &quot;oon&quot; would be perfectly fine.

I think the English word &quot;tune&quot; is pretty accurate, without the &quot;t&quot; in front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -