Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I am so glad I gave London a second Chance!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:35 AM
Maira

Just returned from London last Monday. Sister and I had a fantastic week in London with some days in Paris. It was my sis first time on both cities, so we did the main sights. She was a wonderful travel companion and here are some highlights (please feel free to ask for details):<BR><BR>- Stayed at the Victoria Inn off Belgrave Road.<BR><BR>- Did the Big Bus Tour on the first day.<BR><BR>- Used the London Underground every day, including Gatwick Express, Victoria and Pimlico Stations. <BR><BR>- Did the Jack the Ripper walk with Donald from Original Walks.<BR><BR>- Saw Chelsea Clinton at the British Museum (going on to Reading Room). <BR><BR>- went on to Paris on the Eurostar. <BR><BR>- Stayed at Hotel Du Louvre.<BR><BR>- Glorious shopping at the Samaritaine. <BR><BR>Employees at the London sights and services went out of their way to be of help, friendly and courteous; a total opposite from my first time in London in 1998. <BR><BR>I'll be glad to provide details, if needed.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:02 AM
Patrick Wallace

Sorry to hear you had bad experiences your first time<BR>Glad to hear you had better ones this time<BR>Intrigued to hear about Chelsea Clinton at the British Museum - which gallery are they exhibiting her in?

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 11:33 AM
Vicki C

How was the Victoira Inn? Am thinking of it for our two nite stay in Sept. How was the area around there? Did you feel safe? Were there any restruants in the area worth mentioning?<BR>Thanks for your help.<BR>Victoria

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 04:55 AM
Maira

Patrick, very funny <BR><BR>Vicki, typically, when visiting big cities, I seek out hotels in residential areas. I have find out that this is a great way to see the city from another perspective, another view. The section of Belgrave Road where the Victoria Inn is located, is lined with small B&B's and small hotels, yet it is in a very nice, quiet, clean, charming neighborhhod. I felt very safe, even when we walked back many times at night from Victoria or Pimlico stations. As expected, the room was small, but clean (hair drier, TV, ensuite bathroom, phone). It was February, so even though we were facing the steet (nice balcony), we weren't bothered by noise. They offered a continental breakfast included with the price of the room. There are a number of Indian restaurants, Italian, and Greek within walking distance. The only place I can recommend is the Italian resturant kitty-corner on Belgrave Road, walking towards Victoria Station. Great pizza.<BR><BR>By the way, I have to say, after expecting rain in London every day, I have to say the weather was GLORIOUS!! Sunny and beautiful every day.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 05:25 AM
Cardinalsinner

After a first trip to London left me a bit underwhelmed, I gave it a second chance on a trip back from Holland. I happened to end up after walking about the business district on a weekday in Liverpool station between 4 to 5 oclock. I took a seat on a bench and marvelled at the frenetic sight in front of me. The incredibly tailored bankers and businesspeople rushing to their carriages; the electronic train schedules flipping at breakneck speed; the faces and characters...the rush of sound. I wanted to follow each hurried Londoner to an english home, but I had my own schedule to follow and a plane to catch.