Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I admit it, I'm a boor-but I would love to know!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:35 AM
karen

How you spend 3-4 hours eating a meal!!! I'm terrified of missing the "experience" while in Italy as my wife and I are those awful Simpson-types who watch tv, heads down and gobble up our dinner...usually 10 minutes will do it! Please help reform us before our trip!!

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Maira

For some people the meal is an experience, and relaxing, savoring and taking in the flavors, smells, and ambience of a restaurant is as exciting as any sightseeing. I used to think like you, until I went to France, specifically when I spend some time in Bourges. We had our dinner outside, watching people go by, if I had my choice, I would still be sitting at the table.....

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Debbie Lee

Dear Travellers, You are about to go one of the most romantic countries in the world... If you spend most of the day walking, looking, enjoying the scenery and one another, you will find that just sitting in a little trattoria somewhere, gazing into the eyes of your partner, enjoying the food and the hospitality of those wonderful Italians... it's bliss! Maybe it won't take you 3 - 4 hours, but 'relax and smell the roses'!! Enjoy the 'reality' of sharing this opportunity with your spouse! It's something that no TV show will ever be able to portray like the 'real' thing!! Buon Viaggio!!

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Rex

First of all, I don't hink it happens that often - - to actually exceed, say 2.5 hours - - and when dinner is only two people, probably not often over 2. hours. <BR> <BR>I have enjoyed MANY a 3 hour dinner in the US and in Europe - - and some have been painfully slow, way-over-long-drawn-out experiences. the difference has usually been due to the people I was with, and occasionally, the food, service or presentation made or broke a good or bad experience. <BR> <BR>Here are some characterisitics of a three hour dinner, good or bad: <BR> <BR>Usually 6 people or more; conversation occupies the largest segment of the time, not eating. <BR> <BR>Ordering takes 15 to 45 minutes; sometimes it's because no one is in a hurry; sometimes, there's a rather elaborate "presentation" of the orally-recited specials, then a "surprise" &lt;&lt;amuse-bouche&gt;&gt; ("compliments" from the kitchen), and THEN, the actual printed "carte" (what we call the "menu" in America). <BR> <BR>Almost always 3-5 courses, sometimes seven or more, with a "degustation menu" (more often in France). <BR> <BR>Often, a noticeable (and not so rarely, annoying) slowing of the service as the evening progresses. I have seen dessert, coffee, truffles and petit fours and cordials stretch to an hour or more. This can be awful for some, or can be the time you remember best and longest. Again, it has a lot more to do with who you're with, than where you're at. <BR> <BR>If you want to practice this kind of dining, head to the nearest "really big" city (say, 2 million or more) to you, and I'm sure you can find a restaurant that has a reputation for dinners of $100 or more per person, and likely only has one seating per night per table. And take four-six of your most favorite friends with you. <BR> <BR>Not that "slow dining" has to equate with high-end, elegant dining in Italy. I have had very pleasant 3-hour dinners out under the stars for $20-25 or less - - both in Europe, and along Connecticut Avenue in Washington, DC. It's a state of mind, and you CAN "practice" it here in the US, if you so choose. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 08:14 PM
Joanna

What amazes me is that karen has a wife! Am I missing something here??

Old May 28th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Michelle

Long lunches (or dinners) are a mind set rather than a food thing. Relax, watch the world, sip the wine, sink into yourself, let the stress go, look at your companion and actually see them, put the world to rights (if you feel energetic enough) or just listen to the music. Truly, it's a joy! <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:09 AM
harzer

Karen must be a guy. No woman would admit to being a boor. And you are right, no woman would admit to having a wife.

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:28 AM
Karen

There are several Karens on this site. Just want to set the record straight that THIS Karen has never had any problem lingering for 3 hours over a meal in Rome, when it's served at an outside table in good company!

Old May 29th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Doug

The first time we ate dinner in Germany it was a 2 1/2 hour "experience" - half hour to eat and 2 hours waiting for the check. Now I've learned that you have to "signal" the waiter to get the check. It still might take you a half hour after you're done to get his/her attention. They always seem to get busy with stuff in the kitchen when you're ready to go.

Old May 29th, 2001, 05:16 AM
dan woodlief

If you dine late, you will find it a pleasure to sit there for a couple of relaxing hours or more after spending all day on your feet. I and my feet really looked forward to those 9 or 10 o'clock meals in Paris.

Old May 29th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Mariarosa

Hi karen! Not every meal has to be a 2-3 hour affair, only if you are in the mood! However, the potential for a long meal starts with the Italian character: no one will rush you and no one will bring you the check unless you ask for it. <BR> <BR>If you engage the owner of the restaurant in a conversation, you will most definitely find yourself doing a 3 hour meal. The owner will bring out some liqueur or dessert wine (complimentary) and before you know it you have spent 3 hours in a restaurant! I found this friendliness delightful! It happenend to us in 2 occasions, but when we were tired we would not lounge around, just go back to the hotel. It's your vacation, you can do whatever you want. Enjoy!