Search

Hvar or Trogir

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hvar or Trogir

I know we did not allot enough time but here goes. Our May trip to Italy allows us 3 nights in Croatia. Are intending 2 in Dubrovnik (flying rome/dbv) then ferry up the coast. We arrive late afternoon in Hvar and can overnight there but am thinking really not enough time to see or enjoy and will be anxious to get on the next day to split for our plane back to rome. So other option is to stay on ferry, pass Hvar and continue onto the mainland stay the night in Trogir. Any thoughts? I figured this is a place I will need to return to, with time and should be on the mainland for the 4pm flight out of split. THANKS!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:36 PM

instead of ferrying up the coast (very slow - 8 hours, I think) - take the bus from Dubrovnik to Trogir - you'll get there in about 4 1/2 hours. I agree 1 night in Hvar plus the anxiety of getting back to the mainland - I think Trogir is a good idea.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:37 PM

Either Trogir or Split would be a nice evening. We loved Split especially at night when we could wander around the squares and narrow cobbled streets. I'd go with the one that offers the easiest connection for your flight and/or more time for your evening.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 11:55 AM

I was in the region last summer-- and we're going back this summer. So that should tell you how worthwhile we think it is. If I were you, I'd spend one night in Dubrovnik- it's extraordinarily beautiful but it's compact enough that you could accomplish a lot in one evening and a day.
Then I would skip the ferry becuase it's just too long. Instead why not drive up the coast and go to Split- enjoy an evening there and stay over night. You can then catamaran over to Hvar the next day (takes only 1 hour, compared to the 2.5 hour car ferry), stay over night and then catamaran back to Split the next day with plenty of time to catch your flight. Ofcourse, figuring out the ferry scheudle, especially the catamarans is not that easy, but once you do figure it out, they seem to be quite reliable.
Enjoy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice and ideas. We would have only stayed in Dubrovnik one night, however our flight doesnt arrive unitl very late that first night. But you have given me something new to think about.
Old Apr 4th, 2006, 04:41 PM

I would stay for 2 nights in Dubrovnik, at the very least.

The bus ride to Split is breathtakingly beautiful! The bus stops a couple of times so you can stretch, grab a snack and use the toilet.

I highly recommend staying on/near Trogir. We liked it much better than Split.

We stayed at Apartment Bakica for about $25 a night and we loved this accomodation!

Cheers!

Tamara