Hurtigruten - northbound or southbound?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom and I are planning a Norwegian coast sailing on Hurtigruten in December in search of the Northern Lights, and I'd like some feedback on the northbound or southbound voyage.

We already know about the Hurtigruten experience and that it isn't a standard "cruise." I'm mainly looking for feedback based on ports of call.

As I understand it, the same ports are called on both directions, but daytime calls in one direction are nighttime calls in the other, so excursions are different.

[One advantage to embarking in Kirkenes is the husky taxi transfer from the airport to the Snow Hotel. ]
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, only you can decide which ports are most important to you. I chose to go nortbound, and was happy with the ports we saw.

For my TR start here, links at the top of the page: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...e-kong-harald/
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:40 AM

There’s only one way to decide.

Look at their schedule and decide which areas to pick. I would absolutely not travel through The Lofotens in the dark, they have some of the most stunning views on Earth. Personally, is jump ship and Trondheim for a day, Lofotens for two days and Tromso for one day.

Coastal is stunning and addictive.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 12:34 PM

Northbound you have more ports of call during the day, and more excursion. Southbound you have more sea time, and we have seen the Northern Lights every time on the southbound. Southbound is also slightly cheaper I believe. If we ever do it again we would jump ship at Trondheim rather than going down to Bergen - it is a long trip and you are out of your cabin with your hand luggage all day.
You could look out for special deals and do the round trip - sometimes they are offered two for the price of one, or no single surcharge. Book direct with Hurtigruten.
We are entering a period of low solar activity so there is less chance of seeing the lights for the next couple of years. Go on the trip for the sake of the trip - the lights are a nice bonus.
You stand as much chance of seeing the lights in Alaska or Canada.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij2, that’s good feedback.

Would you say northbound is less likely to see the aurora? Does the ships dirextikn (because of ship lights) affect that?
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:17 PM

No there is equal chance, it is probably coincidence that we saw them on the return journey each time. If they are low there is less viewing space going north of course, and you may have to use a side deck. They are also not always great green curtains of dancing light. Sometimes they look like white cloud, except you can see the stars through them. They always look better on a photos than in reality,
I have made three trips and seen them each trip, whereas others have been on more and never seen them.
They used to announce if they were seen but I don't think they do that any more, certainly not early evening during the dinner sittings.
Enjoy the trip whichever way you choose to go. I'd love to go again.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 11:31 PM

For daytime excursions northbound. For aurora: it's a game of chance. Seconding hetismij's suggestion of traveling to or from Trondheim and not do the stretch Trondheim - Bergen, although Bergen is nice in its own right.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 01:24 AM

Hets

Strangely enough, we also visited three times and seen them on six nights. I seem to remember reading that the the Earth’s magnetic field dfaws the particles into the area around Tromso. Tromso also has the added attraction now of hosting the resident Norwegian Orca and Humpback whales. The populations were further south but have followed the herring north.

We’re booking another week The Lofotens next February, just addictive.
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 03:22 AM

We saw them several nights on the second and third trip, only once on my solo trip - and that was in the Lofoten. One night on my second trip they lasted from 6pm until 5am. I'm afraid I gave up and went to bed!
We also saw Orcas on that first trip.
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! After talking the options over with my mom, I let her choose, and she decided to do the full roundtrip after all!

(I think it had to do with her not wanting to spend the night in the Snow Hotel.)