Hubby's 40th Birthday, French-Style: Need Help with Destinations

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello---My husband has selected France for his 40th Birthday Trip next year. We have been to France prior, but only to Paris and Corsica. We will have our five year old son with us. We plan to spend several days in Paris (perhaps the French Open and EuroDisney) but needed help with other destinations within France. Generally speaking, we plan to head south within France after Paris. We would ultimately like to end up somewhere beachy on the Riviera. Any favorite beach towns (or hotels) that would be OK with a 5 year old? Also, any thoughts about a second destination between Paris and the Riviera?

We are well traveled but don't speak any French. We are willing to rent a car or travel by train. I would say we are pretty active but cushy travelers---we like nice hotels and typically like to be near some type of town (so basically no "roughing it" or totally isolated locations). Thanks so much in advance!
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:17 PM

You didn't mention how many days you have allocated for this trip - so it's kinda hard to suggest an itinerary for you.

My wife & I have spent 2 months vacationing in France almost every year since '99 when we retired early so we could travel more. We've spent about 3 years total exploring various regions in France. Our two favorite areas are Provence & the Dordogne. Here is what I would suggest:

- Fly to Nice & spend about 5-6 nights there. We like the Hotel Windsor. Rent a car on day 3 and do day-trips into the Nice Hinterland (small villages, canyons, Alps, etc)

- Drive 2 1/2 hrs to Provence & stay there for 4-6 nights. Either stay in St Remy, or in the Luberon (Gordes, Roussillon, Bonnieux) - or both if you will be there for 6 nights or more and like a little change in local scenery.

- Drive 2 3/4 hrs to Carcassonne and visit the largest medieval fortress in Europe. The 5 YO will love it. After Carcassonne, drive 3 1/2 hrs to the Dordogne & stay in Sarlat or one of the medieval villages on the Dordogne River (Domme, Beynac, Roque Gageac) for 5-6 nights. Lots of caves with stalactites & mites, pre-historic cave paintings, medieval castles, boat trips down the Dordogne River, cute villages, nice farmer's markets, gardens, etc. Lots of stuff there for kids (knights in armor, jousting, sieges, catapults).

- Drive 1 1/2 hrs to the "red" village of Collonges la Rouge & visit. Then take a short drive to Brive la Gaillarde, return the car, and take the train to Paris.

- Spend your remaining time in Paris.

Stu Dudley
Old May 17th, 2014, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For beaches you would be better off on the Atlantic coast rather than most of the Mediterranean coast.
Old May 17th, 2014, 06:12 PM

Look at the Dordogne, not on coast, but could combine it with Atlantic coast.
Old May 18th, 2014, 09:01 AM

YOu don't say when you plan to take this trip, either. Some people think it is hot on the Riveria in the winter for some reason, for example, that it is like the Caribbean, and it's not.

In general, I think Nice sounds like a good idea. It has lots of interest, and some beaches if you really want to go to them.