Search

Howth advice

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howth advice

Can anyone tell me if the seaside is picturesque in Howth? I've read a lot about really gorgeous cliff walks and am considering an "about half a day" trip when I visit Ireland this September with my friends. We intend to take a bus from Dublin to Howth - I'm a little confused about how the pricing is done on that bus ride? Apparently you're billed in stages?
Anyway, does Howth come recommended, or no?
Any replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:13 PM

Sorry, just checking: I wrote a reply and it seems to have gone into the ether.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Earlier reply reposted:

Howth is good. Pretty fishing harbour somewhat messed up by recent development, but still not bad; an amount of upmarket housing because it's a nice place; some nice walks. Worth half a day if the weather is good and you want to be out in the fresh air.

The easiest way to get there is by DART, suburban commuter train.
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM

Stayed in Howth once. Would have prefered Malahide.

Bill
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 02:29 AM

Howth is lovely but a small village with the fishing and pleasure boats in the marina. You can walk out the marina to the sea and its nice on the weekends for a fresh walk. We go often as we live nothside dublin. My favourite chipper Beshoffs is on the seafront and get some fish and chips and sit on the grass. You will see sea lions if you look into the water when the fishing boats come in. They are so cute and beg for fish from the boats. They seem like dogs to me at times pleading for food and very playful. There are a few good seafood restaurants likle King Sitric, pub food like the abbey tavern and it had music at certain time (look up on web). There are few lore cafes up the hill in the village that are nice.
There is a path to walk to go along the cliff front but I do not know how to do this from the village. We go a side road on the way to Howth near the former Sutton Castle.

There is a farmers market Sunday in howth as well.

I like Malahide but its more an upmmarket boutique shop town.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:26 AM

Malahide does not offer much in the way of cliff walks!

Siobhan, if there were sealions in Howth harbour, they would be as big a deal as Fungi is in Dingle! Seals. I agree they are cute.
Old Apr 27th, 2007, 03:32 AM

An alternative walk on the south side of Dublin is to take the Dart commuter train to Dun Laoghaire or Dalkey and walk mostly along the coast from either of them to Killiney Dart station for the return trip to Dublin. Bono of U2 lives quite near Killiney station.Dalkey is a good spot for food or drink.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM

Sorry missed the cliff walks remark. Sometimes I just read too fast. My complaint about Howth was basically the appearance and flavor there on a Saturday night. The village seemed filled with rowdy kids including a group that was pushing each other around and then pushed me into the street and then seemed to think that I should have been honored to have had my life threatened by oncoming traffic. That said, on Sunday night it was fine.

I never did find access to the cliff walk from the village. At the top of the hill is the aptly named Summit Inn. The road that runs past it (perpendicular to the main road) takes you to a large car park with easy access to the cliff walk. It's a lovely path and on a fine day, you'd be hard pressed to realize that Dublin is just up the road.

Bill
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:23 AM

Thanks Padraig I thought they were seals and then someone insisted they were sea lions. WIll take your word! Cute little guys but my they are getting fat from a good feeding these days.Wojazz I think ,most sat nightsa are a bit mad in small towns. IIt is normally a lovely place sorry you saw the bad side.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 01:35 PM

Yes, this one was a bit more mad than usual. Just a bad feel in the air. Like I said though, Sunday was fine and we had a fine walk along the harbor. The B&B owner had security cameras all around her place. She was incredibly paranoid (perhaps justifiably). That certainly added to added to the feel.

The location is lovely. I'll be back to the area many times, I'm sure, if for no other reason that accidentally running into a Padraig or a Siobhan in a pub and lifting a pint with them.

Cheers!

Bill
Old May 4th, 2007, 06:26 AM

Its getting busier with the long days and a few more restaurants and upomnarket bars. Wrights has a lovely outsoor patio on the first floor that is nice for a drink in the daytime. I like SUndays with the food market and walk around. My friend sails here occasionally and I have been inside the boat club, its a fun place and not as swish or snooty as I originally thought. Its a great place for seafood lovers from the restaurants to the chipper or abbey tavern...unfortunately I hate fish
Old May 4th, 2007, 08:30 AM

My wife hates fish also which made it a bit more difficult to find a place to eat. Having grown up in New Mexico, I decided not to venture into "El Paso". Howth didn't seem like the right place for Mexican food.

Bill