How's the Westin Excellsior in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate information regarding the hotel and the location. Debating whether to redeem Starwood points and stay there or save our points and pay $ for a different hotel. Location is the key! Thanks,
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:42 AM

topping...I'm also interested.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 06:57 AM

Here is my personal opinion: the Westin is a beautiful hotel, recently renovated. Has a good spa and restaurants. Room size is generally good. If you are on the street side, it can be a little noisy; a risk common to many hotels in Rome and other European cities. As for location, I don't know what location you are looking for. It is great for shopping on the Via Veneto. It is very close to the Borghese Gardens. It is walkable to the Spanish Steps area, although it would be a longish walk and would be uphill on the return. To me the ideal location as a tourist in Rome is the Spanish Steps area, so the Westin would be a secondary location. However, if you can stay there for free, versus staying in a lesser quality hotel near the Spanish Steps, than it is probably worth it. Cabs are not really expensive, and if your room is free, cabs seem like even more of a bargain! One note: if you are going during high tourist season, book now, as the Westin is popular with US tourists.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:49 PM

Patsy-<BR><BR>The Westin Excelsior is on the Via Veneto right across the street from the AMERICAN EMBASSY--<BR><BR>In this day and age, that makes me a little leary about staying at a hotel so close to a possible terrorist target--<BR><BR>Just a heads up from my point of view...<BR><BR>Years ago,we stayed at the opposite end of the Via Veneto at the GRAND HOTEL which had rooms that overlooked the Borghese Gardens....<BR><BR>It was a very short walk to the Spanish Steps and actually within walking distance lots of areas...<BR><BR>And if you are into shopping, the Via Veneto is terrific....
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Andy - have you booked your cruise on the Century yet?<BR><BR>Peter