How would you compare Rome to Barcelona?

May 14th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

How would you compare Rome to Barcelona?

I have been to Rome twice in the past year; obviously I absolutely love it. I would like to check out Barcelona in the fall, however. How would you generally compare the two in terms of cost, people, and overall atmosphere?
May 15th, 2003, 01:21 AM
Bootman4U

Am topping this for you. Am not sure you'll find adequate answers to these questions, though...THE answer may end up being the one(s) you get when you actually go there and check it out for yourself. You can easily spend as much in Barcelona as in Rome depending on where you want to stay or eat although I suspect some would say that Barcelona is a bit cheaper. I think overall the hotel prices are probably cheaper in Barcelona...overall atmosphere??? well, they are very different..Rome has all the ruins, etc., and Barcelona is not focused on this aspect of things. Barcelona was never the "power" that Rome was and let's face it, the Italians and the Spanish, while both latin and "romantic" certainly have always had different outlooks to some extent. I think you'd probably like Barcelona as it is a beautiful city..not as big as Rome with, to me, a much smaller place feel.

May 15th, 2003, 05:02 AM

A closer comparison might be Barcelona and Paris. Like Paris, Barcelona is about style (architecture, clothes, restaurants, bars, hotels). In the case of Barcelona it's a captivating mix of 19th-early 20th century avante garde, blended with an ancient city (although not as ancient as Rome). It's better than Paris, in my view, because the people are friendlier and they clean up after their dogs - so you can look up at the buildings instead of watching where you walk. You'll probably find that upscale and trendy restaurants in Barcelona are as good or better than Rome restaurants (with a Mediterranean flavour), but you might find the low-priced and moderate restaurants less appealing than Rome's. It depends on your tastes, of course, but many people prefer inexpensive pastas and pizzas to the inexpensive "menu del dia" (simple meat dish, veg etc) in a Spanish restaurant - although tapas can be great. Barcelona also has a great cafe culture. And then you can escape to the beach.

Barcelona is one of my favourite cities, and I'd love to go back as soon as I can.
May 15th, 2003, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies! I will definitely go there myself and check it out.
May 15th, 2003, 08:44 AM

Rome is much larger and has much more to see. We started day trips after two days in Barcelona, wheras we spent six days in Rome and never even remotely felt like we were running out of interesting things to see. I think the atmosphere in Rome is charming and the atmosphere in Barcelona is cosmopolitan. Hope that helps.