Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How worried do we need to be about theft in Italy

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the regulars already know, my wife and I are going to Italy from Feb 2 - Feb 19, 2005. We will be in Venice, Florence and Rome. As I continue to do my research I read more and more about theft (pick pockets, scams, ATM thefts, etc)

My wife and I both have passport pouches we wear around our necks, we use ATMs each few days to keep a small amount of cash on us, we have locks for our backpacks, and have copies of our passports so if someone asks for a passport we can give them the copy.

Should I be doing something different? What am I missing. We have never had any problems in Europe, but it seems like Italy is presented as a thiefs haven....
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 07:15 AM

If you haven't been robbed thus far then my recommendation is that you NOT do "anything different."

The stories about theft stand out on this board because they are somewhat unsual in the larger scheme of things (so people tend to remember them)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 07:24 AM

We never felt threatened in Florence or Venice (can't comment on Rome), and we did as we do in any other European country. Kept only a copy of our passports on us, one credit card, and just enough cash for the day. We left all other valuables in our apartment while we were out during the day.

I think that as long as you use the common sense you would in any major city, you won't have any problem.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM

". . .it seems like Italy is presented as a thiefs haven. . ."

This is because many people do NOT take the precautions that you already do, and therefore must learn the hard way.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:35 AM

When travelling in Italy I was most concerned about the pickpockets around the Collesium in Rome. We were told to watch out for the packs of street urchins that descent on tourists. They usually approach with a piece of card board or newspaper in one hand to distract you from their other hand or distract you from their comrades. We watched many people be accosted by the group but all seemed to survive the onslaught. Throughout my travels I usually carry a dummy wallet in my back pocket. In the wallet I keep lots of 'Canadian Tire' money (coupons I guess would work as well). My thinking is if I am unable to stop them myself then the successful urchin would have some explaining to do when they try to trade the 'bills' in for Euros (or whatever is the local currency). So far I have always come home with my dummy.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I believe tales of theft seem larger than life on a travel discussion board. My thinking is that people who have a problem come home and post about it. On the flip side, I have never had a problem but certainly don't start a thread titled "wasn't robbed in Italy again" after each trip.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:20 AM

How worried do you need to be?
Just worried enough to take sensible precautions, but not so worried that it spoils your fun or relaxation.

I'd done a fair amount of traveling, including Italy, before I went to Rome, and with what I'd read, Rome worried me.
I'm a city dweller at home, so I'm used to keeping my wits about me, I had no problem in any public places nor on the metro or the bus. I don't use security wallets, I just keep a firm grip on my over-the-shoulder totebag, and if I have to stop to consult a map or rummage around, I sit down, or step into a doorway. I don't let my bag dangle on the back of my chair, etc.

In front of a church in Rome I saw two urchins approaching me with a sign, the pitiful-looking woman accompanying them stayed seated. I waved the kids firmly away, and once inside the church I made a contribution to the poor box.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM

I spent a week in Italy in September and had a variety of situations in regards to theft. My traveling companion was pick pocketed on the subway in Rome. She had her travel pouch around her waist and they very skilled theif first unvelcroed the opening then unzipped the pouch within her "purse" and took all her euros. Neither of us ever noticed a thing. Also, at the train station in Venice I had my backpack (on my back with the zipper facing my back) unzipped. Unfortunately for the thief, tennis shoes and a travel pillow didn't warrant taking. My advice - avoid the subway. The buses are a better and safer way to go. On the flight home, I met a man who had a similar bad situation on the subway in Rome. He said the child unvelcroed the pocket on his shorts and took out his passport. When the girl realized it was a passport and not cash, she dropped it and kindly pointed it out to him on the ground so he could retrieve it. And I loved Rome, by the way and would return undeterred in a second.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM

I wouldn't agree with recommending the buses over the metro, some of the bus routes have a reputation for being pickpocket heaven.
I'd still take them, just exercise caution.
I have to say that I always think that backpacks look tempting.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:42 AM

As several people have mentioned you hear only from those people who have had problems - not all those who didn't. As long as you take the standard precautions and exercise normal awareness there's no reason you should have any problems.

(Although I always feel that wearing either a "fanny' pack or a backpack is asking for extra attention from pickpockets.)
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Hey, there are good urchins too!

It is so true that people don't post that they didn't get robbed or picked over.

It happens but it happens all over the world. Don't worry areinert, you have already taken precautions and are aware of the possibility so just go and have a wonderful time.