How We Travel...

Search

How We Travel...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How We Travel...

fancy restaurants aren't my thing, either in the US or when in Europe. A thrifty tip is to stay in places recommended for their big (by European standards) breakfasts. I have a HUGE, I mean, HUGE breakfast. Being so full keeps me going until well into the afternoon, with possibly a gelato or the equivalent at a break mid-day. By catching the very end of the European lunchtime (around 2:30 or 3)it is way cheaper than eating dinner later in the evening. Have another ice cream or late snack while out in the evening and I limit my food expenses to about 10-15$ day, tops. Bear in mind that you'd be eating at home in the US anyway. This makes it easier to plan for the prices that are not part of daily life- choose cheap well- reviewed hotels and the best deal you can get on airfare. Travel light- carry one small bag. Try to go every other year and work and save extra on the "off year" while you plan and dream your next trip! That's how I do it on a teacher's salary...
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

"I have a HUGE, I mean, HUGE breakfast."

Can you please define HUGE?
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

Yes, yes, I'm also totally curious -- could you break down what a "HUGE" breakfast is? 3 bowls of cereal, 6 pieces of toast, 12 pieces of cheese, 3 glasses of juice -- or even bigger?

I totally agree that not eating at sit-down restuarants for every lunch and dinner really helps save $$. I like the apt option since I'm able to shop for high quality ingredients (no actual cooking -- just cheeses, olives, prosciutto, breads, fruit, chocolate, tea and coffee, pastries, etc.) and I eat much better than I do at home, but on the same budget. This is only a good idea if you enjoy wandering around little shops and gawking at food items.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 02:57 PM

Fishee ... you forgot 'and a partridge in a pear tree.'
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:04 PM

I just love the HUGE, HUGE, HUGE breakfasts in Germany, Switzerland, and Italy with lots of cheeses, meats, fresh breads, eggs, butter, jam, juice, etc. We usually have breakfast around 9am then head out for the day. Only problem is those great restaurants you want to go to for lunch -- I'm just not hungry -- so we just snack. We then like to do the HUGE, HUGE, HUGE 3-course dinner in the evening, with vino of course. That's just kinda/sorta how we do things.

We'll be spending a week in Piedmont this May, so maybe some pasta and of course wine for lunch.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:35 PM

nina. i've always wondered if I'd be content when I'm not on vacation to just go to dominicks or vons and buy the same stuff and see if it would give me the same amount of pleasure. but then I grab a luna bar out of my desk drawer and drink an ensure.

no wonder i love vacations. the way I eat when I'm working is pretty disgusting.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:39 PM

Well, I like those huge breakfasts, too, but I wouldn't necessarily be eating at home anyway.

Teacher's salary..depends on what you're teaching and where you're doing it wouldn't you agree?

I'm just happy to hear you enjoy travel and are able to do so.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM

Oh fishee, ensure? I hope you go on vacation a lot.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 04:54 PM

When I was in Denmark and Sweden last year our hotels had fabulous breakfasts. The one in Denmark had scrambled eggs (really good), little sausages, strawberry and vanilla yogurt, four or five kinds of cheese, croissants, sweet breads, dark bread, cured salmon, herring, several kinds of meats, cereal, fruit and fruit juice, hard boiled eggs, pate..hmmm, I THINK that was all. You can tell that it didn't interest me at all!!!! LOL Yup, set ME up for the day. Our hotel in Sweden was very similar. Also, of course coffee, hot milk, cold milk and lattes at the Sweden hotel. Worked for me!!!
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 05:17 PM
pdx

I've never had a big breakfast in Europe. I've never even seen one offered. Toast and croissants, maybe a boiled egg, but never an american-style breakfast. I'll nosh my way down the street with fishee.
sglass, $10-$15/day is amazing. You must be quite thin.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
oh dear fishee, please find yourself something better to eat every day. yikes... that is just perverse. why can't you eat at home as nicely as you do when you travel? i don't understand.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 06:51 PM

Hmmm... I've never stayed in a European hotel that offered a huge breakfast. More often a light cold buffet, at best, or nothing.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:09 PM

wow, thanks for the sympathy. I don't shop for groceries often enough to have fresh food on hand when I'm at home. Food at work is bad and overpriced so I hold my appetite off until I go out to dinner. It's actually quite an accomplishment when I'm organized enough to stock my office with energy bars and drinks (purchased in bomb shelter quantities at Costco). My boyfriend is worse than I am with groceries so the closest thing we do regularly is walk the dog to a corner liquor store and buy milk.

My favorite activity in Barcelona was going to the Boqueria market everyday to re-stock with groceries. I'll be in Paris next week and I will be thrilled with the various charcuteries and bakeries that (hopefuly) will be close by. Freshly baked bread every single friggin morning -- that's how I know I'm on vacation.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Since we can only travel once a year, we do not buy gifts for eachother at birthdays or Christmas , what we give eachother is the special place we want to dine or stay that otherwise would be out of the question. We each get our choices.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:25 PM

I love excellent breakfast buffets, and they always set me up in a good mood for the rest of the day. Crefloors' description pretty well matches what I like! And like sglass, this usually means I have two meals per day, plus maybe a snack. It seems to work out well, and maybe that's one reason I lose weight on vacation.

However, I won't get the breakfast buffet if it costs 23 Euros or some such price - which can often be the case too.
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM

sorry, hopefully i didn't sound insulting (to fishee) it's just i can't imagine not eating fresh food. i don't cook either, but pick up the kinds of things others mention on holiday. i can easily get in Seattle similar to the kinds of things available in Europe (fresh bread, meats, cheese, olives, produce).
Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:46 PM

suze, I'm not insulted at all! I truly appreciate the sympathy although it's very undeserved since I have access to decent grocery stores (Whole Foods, Trader Joes) but I just don't make it a priority to go grocery shopping when I'm at home.

Laziness + work stress = just trying to get through the week. One of my secret fantasies is to date and live with a chef. The problem is that I think chefs might hang out in grocery stores.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 06:35 AM
tod

I'm a breakfast person but my DH is not.
I go for the cereal,pastries,fruit & yoghurts while he sits and drinks two cups of tea.
I like a sit down light lunch (with white wine), he doesn't mind grabbing a sandwhich (and a cup of tea).
Dinner - we both like to have a relaxed evening meal at a restaurant especially after walking a lot during the day.
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I love breakfast and try to make the most of it when I travel b/c later on I may get to involved in something else and miss lunch. My husband drinks a healthy drink of greens etc for breakfast but on vacation he eats with me.
We don't buy each other Christmas and B-day gifts either. I don't see the point. Our money is combined so it's not like I'm giving him a gift, he's paid for part of it.