Gluton-free eating in Italy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wfe and I are going to Itlay with a freind who must eat gluton free food. Does anyone have any experience with this in Rome, Florence or Siena? Also any restaurants that may be able to proivde such food?
Old May 25th, 2003, 04:54 PM

David- I fallow a pretty strict Atkins diet which limits bead , pasta, rice etc.
I eat very well in Italy, I am assuming your friend is not a vegaterian & can eat meat, chicken etc.
Breakfast is the most difficult meal for me( becasue most Italian hotels only serve rolls & cofffee) so I usually pack a box of protein bars and eat one in the morning with my coffee.
I also bring at least one protein bar with me in case I need it during the day.
Another option is to pack dry flavored protein powder and mix it with yougurt (preferably plain) you can buy at a local market, it helps to have a mini refigerator for this.

A sample meal for me would start with a salad or maybe rosted veggies (artichoke) or a cheese and meat starter.
For the second course I skip the pasta all togher and ask if I can subsitute it for something else , for my main entree I usually order beef, chicken or fish.
The thing I always sprurge on is galato, because I am so careful with the rest of my diet I am able to indulge in a glass of wine with dinner.I'm not sure if your friend is limiting sugar as well.
I know this sounds like nerotic nonsense to most people , but this is mainly to control blood sugar and insuline levels, not a vanity thing.

I think with a little planning your friend will be able to enjoy the culinary experience of Italy , without feeling left out.
Best of luck...Fluffy
Old May 25th, 2003, 06:30 PM

Good for you Fluffy! And yes, it is very easy to eat gluten free for every meal except breakfast. However most hotels include breakfast in your room rate and depending on the level you might indeed get just a carbo product and coffee, but you might get an incredible buffet with every type of cheese, and fruit and deli meats and yoghurt (just be sure it isn't the kind with cereal mixed in). Most important would be learning the word Gluten in Italian, together with Wheat etc. Many Italians are educated and know about nutritition and would be able to answer the question if nicely asked, even in fractured Italian. Your friend will do well going to the antipasti buffet, even for an entire meal. I still yearn for the pickled seafood salad, and I don't like seafood!
Old May 26th, 2003, 02:20 PM

My husband must eat gluten-free food, and we have just returned from 9 days in Belgium and France. I used a laminated wallet-size printed explanation in French, stating that due to allergy, my husband could not eat anything containing wheat or flour. I copied the statement from a book called "Cooperative Gluten-Free Commercial Products Listing" prepared by CSA/USA. In the back of the book are prepared statements in many languages to list the can't-haves and the can-haves. Their website is www.csaceliacs.org.

Everyone was very accomodating, but I strongly recommend that someone in the group be able to say a few words in Italian, especially relating to wheat, flour, etc.

My husband ate very well, avoiding sauces unless there was a clear understanding that they had not been thickened with flour. Even veal and chicken dishes are usually dusted with flour, so we made it clear that they must be prepared without flour.

Breakfast is a little harder, but fruit, yogurt and cheese usually worked fine. Bread and pastries are out(imagine spending a week in France without bread or pastry), but gelato in a cup will be a great treat. Rice and potatoes are fine, and are usually available.

If I can be of further help, my email is [email protected]

Old May 26th, 2003, 02:40 PM

Barb in Ga did your husband's son have a successful shopping trip in Paris? I am just curious how that went. I hope you had a nice trip. I would love to hear about it!
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:54 PM

ttt for Mit
Fluffy
Old May 27th, 2003, 04:36 PM

Katherine--My stepson was delayed a day in joining us, and we made some adjustments to our itinerary, which included dropping plans for him to shop for clothing.

We did do some shopping for his wife who wasn't able to join us, and enjoyed strolling past many shop windows as we walked to our chosen destinations. I came home Friday night, and have worked every day since, so I haven't yet posted a trip report. I will do that as soon as I can.