Gluten Free Diet in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My inlaws are visiting Florence and Rome in November with a church tour. This is their first real trip anywhere and I want it to go well for them.

Complicating things, MIL has gluten intolerance (aka, Celiac Disease, can't eat wheat, rye, oats or barley) and some other medical issues. I have ordered her a card with "no gluten" type info translated into Italian to help her out. When we were in Italy, we found everyone quite friendly and accomodating and think she will be fine, but that was a while ago and I am at a loss for more specific eating suggestions.

Any recent travelers have suggestions or food recommendations? My memories are all warm and fuzzy, with much wine and gelato... I do recall delicious beef in Florence and risotto in Northern Italy... Thanks!

Jenabelle2 (formerly Jenabelle until the computer died!)
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Good news in the dessert sector... I think gelato is gluten-free

Although a lot of Italian food (the pastas, paninis, and pizzas) are gluten-laden, you can also get amazing grilled meat dishes and wonderful vegetable dishes. Perhaps they could stick to those? You might suggest they bring a small bag of nuts of something else to keep around as a snack too.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:28 AM
ira

Hi J,

Risotto is made with rice.

Polenta is made from maize.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:39 AM

My husband also has celiac, and we have traveled everywhere including Italy and he has always managed to find great food to eat.

Since this disease is becoming more widely known and is prevalent in Mediterranean countries, you will also find gluten-free stores.

The main problem we had was not being able to eat in pizzerias or have a quick pannini...we always had to eat in restaurants.

Usually for breakfast, there are cheeses and meats and fruit. If you MIL needs bread or crackers for breakfast, just bring along a loaf from home.

For most meals, my husband had wonderful meat dishes or risotto entrees. We found that most vegetable dishes were not breaded, so he was able to eat almost every side dish as well as salads. We also had an antipasto of mozzarella di bufalo and proscuitto almost daily. Thank goodness they are gluten-free.

We have also found that if a restaurant has a dish which is floured, you can ask that they prepare it without the flour, and they are usually more than happy to do it. Just don't be afraid to ask.

And desserts are never a problem...there is always gelato and tartufo and fresh fruit and cheeses.

She should be fine.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Breakfast or lunch might be more of a challenge, but for dinner at a restaurant simply stick to meat or poultry grilled with a side or two of vegatables and maybe a salad.