Reload this Page >

how touristy is marbella??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 11:54 AM
hubbyhates

We are spending a week at a timeshare (interval). We can choose Marbella, Estepona, Mijas or Nerja for one week. We want to see the quaint little villages (white villages?) so which would be the best location to do this. Is a week in one place in this area too much? Save our timeshare for another time?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:13 PM
oh

Go ahead,go to Marbella-see how the rich and famous relax-a great central location to see alot of the Costa del Sol.I love the old part of Marbella,loadrd with quaint outdoor restaurants around the square

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:17 PM
hubbyhates

So that would be a yes? too touristy? And I want to see the white village towns not the beach!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
lisa

We must've missed the quaint, older part of Marbella because what we saw were condos everywhere you looked and the shops/restaurants at Puerto Banus. We thought it was really touristy -- like any beach town with fancy shops next to t-shirt shops and some real tourist trap restaurants (we didn't eat at any memorable ones, but I assume they might exist).<BR><BR>Instead, we stayed in Estepona at a great resort -- Las Dunas. The food was great (2 different restaurants), the service was great, the poolside area beautiful, they have a full spa, etc. We loved it and if we had to do it all over again, would skip Marbella entirely.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:39 PM
hubbyhates

Thanks Lisa..Las Dunas seems a little too expensive since we'll be in that area for 3-4 days. Would you still recommend Estopona if not staying at that particular location? Any recommendations for other accommodations there? thanx

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
Myriam

Another vote for Marbella.<BR>Yes, it is touristy but that are all the other places as well. Marbella is centrally located and a good base to visit the white villages. The old town of Marbella, around Plaza de los Naranjos, is really very charming with many narrow streets and flowers everywhere. <BR>There are timeshares near this old city centre, and others closer to Puerto Banus (the marina) which is approx. 8 km or so. No problem if you have a car.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
spanish

I'm also staying in this area for 3-4 days but not at a timeshare. Is there anyplace in Marbella where you are close to the old town but still have a sea view? Oh yes, and not outrageously expensive?? Going in May I think.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:04 PM
Myriam

Try this website: http://www.marbella.com/eng/<BR>You can narrow down your search to "downtown Marbella".

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:27 PM
costa

Costa del Sol=Tourists!!!!!!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 01:33 PM
nerja

Nerja is probably the quietest and still charming of the places you mentioned.They have the best caves ever there!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:52 AM
Lesley

Reply to Spanish; the Hotel Fuerte (4*) is right on the seafront and just across the road from the old part of Marbella. It's ok.<BR>For what it's worth, Marbella and Mijas are good starting points for visiting the white village area. Marbella is a more upmarket holiday town on the coast with a small old centre, Mijas is an expanded village a few miles inland in the hills. Estepona is a fairly average holiday resort and Nerja is the other way from Malaga, (ie East) and not on the Costa del Sol. About fifteen years ago it was an unspoiled Spanish holiday town, but now.... However, it doesn't suffer from high rise blocks. I'd go for Mijas for the easy access to the hills.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:56 AM
sea

Only problem with staying in Mijas is you don't have the water views.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
nikkit

If you want to see the white villages, I would definitely not bother staying on the coast, personally I found the whole stretch from Malaga to Algeciras way too built up and touristy. Instead I would stay in or near the villages themselves. We spent a couple of months there last year checking out small special hotels and cottages to rent in the area - you can read detailed reviews of our favourites on www.i-escape.com click on Spain: andalucia on the homepage.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:34 AM
hubbyhates

Nikkit..would love to check out the site you refer to - i-escapes but it keeps bombing when I pull it up. When I am able to get it, the page is all screwy. Is there something wrong with this website? I would love to stay in the white villages but can't find any info on accommodations.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:28 AM
Lisa

Hubbyhates -- you are correct that Las Dunas is pretty pricey, but hey, it was our honeymoon.<BR><BR>As for your question about Estepona, I didn't see any real town to speak of. Maybe we missed it. It seemed to me to be more self-contained resorts (like Las Dunas) and condos/timeshares, often around golf courses. If you husband truly hates crowds, it might be a good option for you. We felt like we were far from the madding crowd.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:47 PM
Maggie

In my humble opinion - VERY!<BR>Regards<BR>Maggie.