Anyone been to Tunisia?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:15 AM
Jim

Anyone been to Tunisia?

Know this is the Europe section, but I've not been successful in obtaining info,in the Africa section.
If you have been to Tunisia,did you do it as part on an organized tour or on your own? I'm gathering info so I can decide how to make the trip of one week, the best possible.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:07 AM
Ben Haines

I have been twice, on my own. If you want a week in one place, soakimg up the sun, you should take a package. If you want to see the country's monuments to Roman, Moslem and French culture you should buy a guide book, settle in central Tunis, mostly stay in Tunis but take day trips to beautiful places outside.

Please write if I can help further.

Ben Haines, London

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
elina

I have been there three times. First time I just needed rest, sun and sea. I booked a charter tour to Hammamet, but used only the flight and hotel. Then I just made a train trip to Tunis and visited museums, medina, Karthago and Sidi bou Said.

Next time I also booked the flights through charter company, and the rest from Tunisian travel agent. And now I am very sorry, it is about seven years ago, and I don't remember the name of the agent (except that it was situated in Hammamet). They very promptly answered my questions by fax, and arranged a two person trip to Sahara (Tozeur etc.) including a car and prebooked hotels.

And the third time was again for sun and water fun in October. That time I again took charter flights to Monastir, then went on by train south and eneded up in Djerba island. I had prebookes the hotel through Internet.

So, you can easily tarvel there by yourself, but remember to check charter companies (if you have those that make Tunisia trips) flights-only prices. They are usually always cheaper that regular flights, and also more convinient.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 08:27 AM
elina

Sorry about the typos.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:47 PM
jim

No problem. Thanks for those who responded, keep the info coming.