Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to spend some free time in Limerick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2001, 08:08 PM
Carol

I'll be traveling to Ireland on a tour the first week of September, with some friends. We fly into Shannon Airport and spend the first few days with Limerick as our base. We have day trips from there - to Galway and Connemara and another to the Cliffs of Moher. My questions are: What should we do on our own in Limerick? Should we go to Bunratty Folk Park? What kind of transportation is available in town? From there we go to Kenmare and Waterford. Our days will be pretty full, but would welcome suggestions for restaurants, taverns and Irish music in those towns in the evenings. Also, is the weather still pretty warm then? We know to expect rain, but will we be most comfortable with short sheeves and light jackets? Thanks for the info. . .

Old Jul 28th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Cathy

Carol, <BR>Re the weather - well ask a few days before you travel, so far in the past three months we had summer for 2 weeks in May, autumn for most of July and now August is looking more like what june should have been like. Need I say more .... <BR> <BR>Re around Limerick - Bunratty Folk Park is quite good and is worth a visit even though it is very touristy but as an Irish perosn myself I would visit it, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 03:30 PM
cecelia

hi carol i too am going on a tour in sept leaving the 7 and also will be in limerick,waterford tralee or kenmare. a friend told me about a pub in limerick with very good irrish music, nancy blakes. have been to bunratty it it very nice. if u are in tralee be sure to go to the siama tire it is a folk theater and is very good i loved it and will try to get tickets when i get there.that is if tralee is where i will be, but if i end up in kenmare there is lots to do there i am told by another friend. i am packed and ready to go hope u have a great time. cecelia

Old Jul 29th, 2001, 05:23 PM
Carol

Thanks for your responses. Cathy, I may check with you closer to when we leave. I didn't tell you, but I am in the U.S., in Kansas. Nice to hear from someone in Ireland. Can I ask in what area you live? Cecilia, sounds like we're going on a similar tour - we go to all the same places. We'll be getting home as you leave. Let me know if you get any more tips! Carol

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:32 AM
Molly

Durty Nelly's is a very good restaurant located next to Bunratty Castle.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:49 PM
Scott Mikesell

We have made two trips to Ireland in the past three years. Bunratty is small but very enjoyable. Give some thought to the Medieval Banquet at Bunratty Castle. We have enjoyed eating at the hotel just across the street from the castle. It is very friendly with some tables outside. Shopping at Bunratty is quite reasonable and the people in the shops are absolutely wonderful. The Folk Park is interesting, and there is a quiet pub near the back end for a bit of a break. I have a friend Sheila who lives in Bunratty and her husband was raised in Limerick. I will put you in touch with her via e-mail if you need more information on transportation to Bunratty.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:27 AM
xxx

Go to the races if you can. Ask for tips from all and sundry. Enjoy their advice, but ignore it.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:42 AM
Heather

We really enjoyed the half-day or so that we spent in Adare, which isn't too far from Limerick City. Adare is a pretty village with thatched roof buildings, a nice church, and some lovely areas to explore on foot. I recall several small restaurants that looked as if they would be good. We had a nice lunch at the Blue Door.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 08:22 AM
Bill & Lee

<BR>Hi from Springfield, Missouri! <BR> <BR>In Sept. we'll be at University of Limerick as well as Navan (NW of Dublin) for an Elderhostel. Focus is on Irish heritage & culture This includes Bunratty Castle with entertainment, also Folk Park. Then we'll be spending a few days at B&B in Killarney so we can <BR>see Dingle Penninsula, back at Rocklands Bunratty B&B for final night Sept. 21. See you sometime at Nancy Blakes or Durty Nellies? <BR>Bill & Lee Longman

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:03 AM
cecelia

hi from rock island illinois. i have to agree with dirty nellies my husband and i had a very enjoyable visit there that was his favorite place on our first trip.will be in limerick sept 12,13 and 14. Maybe i will see u at nellies or nancy blakes.a friend of mine is in limerick work and will get to see him . plan to explore limerick on my own. Scott does your friend sheila work and would she be interested in helping a little old lady see the real limerick lol.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 09:10 AM
cecelia

message to scott: my irish name is sile which is pronounced sheila so already we have something in common your friend and i cecelia AKA sile

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 07:15 PM
Carol

Does anyone know if the Medieval Banquet at Knappogue Castle in Limerick is as good as the one at Bunratty Castle?