Reload this Page >

How to spend last days in Munich?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 06:27 PM
Denise

We have finally narrowed down our 14 day trip to Bavaria and Austria. Flying into Frankfurt and spending 2 nights on the Rhine, maybe 2 in Rothenburg, the rest will be somewhere around Fussen/Garmisch/Bertesgarden,excuse my spelling and flying out of Munich. My question is... what is the best and most economical way of disposing of our rental car and spending maybe our last two nights in Munich? Everything I've read on the forum suggests not attempting to drive into Munich, so where would you suggest we drop the rental car? Thanks for all your wonderful suggestions. I don't think we could attempt this trip without you! Denise

Old Apr 27th, 1999, 08:43 PM
Mike

How about dropping your car off at Garmisch or Fussen? Call your rental agency and see if they have an office in any of these towns. How about doing the R & R tour....Rothenburg and Regensburg. Great combo! One touristy, and one off the main tourist track with lots of history. Check me out if you have any other questions. Have fun

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 12:59 AM
Jo

Munich is very easy to get around without transport. They have an efficient tube system, and good transport to surrounding areas. There's at least a day sightseeing and enjoying Munich - Dachau Concentration Camp is well worth a visit (Dachau is on the tube map) for a sobering view of history. I also enjoyed catching the train down to the mountaineous area (I cannot remember the name) where the castle Neinschweinstein is. This is the castle that Walt Disney modelled his fairy tale castles from. The area around it is stunning. Sorry, I cannot make recommendations of accommodation - I camped my way around Europe. <BR>

Old Apr 28th, 1999, 04:23 AM
Lee

Denise: Economically, keeping the car for the final two days and dropping it off at the Munich airport could be cheaper. The rental company could tell you this. Why? 14 days may be the same (nearly) as twelve and leaving it at a major airport is more to their liking. Your hotel could provide a parking spot (ours does, free of charge) for you. IF you need it, you've got it and you have a way to the airport. Check it out. Driving into Munich is not the equivalent of driving into Paris. <BR> <BR>Since you are going to Bertchesgaden, you may want to stop and see Ludwig's castle at Herrenchiemsee, about halfway from Munich. Also, just a half hour east from Bertchesgaden is Salzburg. <BR> <BR>Neuschwanstein is close to Fussen at Schwangau. Heading east along the "Romantic Road" you will find Steingaden and the famous Weiskirche, Oberammergau of Passion Play fame (great town!), Linderhof Castle (third of King Ludwig's "three"), the town of Ettal (beautiful basillica) and then Garmisch (take a cable car ride!). I would suggest no less than two nights in either Oberammergau of Garmisch. You won't regret it. <BR> <BR>If you don't have reservations, I'd do it now. We are going in May (Rhine River valley, Munich, Oberammergau, Dinkelsbuhl and Frankfurt) and I had reservations in January. All by email. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip!

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 10:54 AM
Lynda

<BR>Denise, <BR>I would only spend one night on the Rhine and spend the other night on the Mosel. Perhaps, Bernkastel or Cochem. Both are lovely. On the Rhine I would choose Rudesheim. It is so much fun. <BR> <BR>As for as the car, I would drop it at the airport in Munich and take a train into Munich. It doesn't take long and you will avoid the congestion of Munich. It is terrible. <BR> <BR>We stayed at the Hotel Ambiente close to the station and it was a great hotel. <BR> <BR>Salzberg, Fussen, Garmish, Landsberg, Berchtesgaden, MIttenwald are all rather close together and are wonderful places to see. <BR> <BR>Rothenburg is fun. Dinkelsbuhl is very pretty. All of Southern Germany and Austria has won our hearts! Have a great time.

Old Apr 30th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Kate

We are planning a similar trip, but flying in and out of Munich. We have a spot reserved in Omeramergau for 3 nights, and it sounds like we won't run out of things to do! How long does it take to drive from that area to Salzburg?

Old May 18th, 1999, 08:02 PM
Chris

I agree that it's best to get rid of your car in Munich. However, I'd first check the German rail website:http://bahn.hafas.de to make sure that the rail goes to the Munich airport and then print out the schedules and take them with you. I printed all the schedules for our inter-city rail travel, and was so glad I did! The central rail station in Munich is pretty well located that we walked from there to our hotel, as well as, to the old city center walking district and the wonderful Marionplatz with the delightful Glockenspiel. We walked everywhere in Munich and found it quite easy and enjoyable - the city center is beautiful and there is so much to see there! I also highly recommend a great hotel in Munich called The Hotel Uhland with special rates for internet bookings that were great! And, it's a pretty easy walk into the city center - we walked it numerous times! If you have any more questions about Munich or other areas of Germany, just email me. Have a great trip - you'll love Germany!