Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

French countryside and Geneva for 6-7 days, help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 1999, 01:20 PM
susan

I just won a trip to Paris for 4 days and what I am planning on doing is extending it for a total of 10-11 days. My boyfriend and I have been to Paris before, so we would now like to see the countryside and possibly Geneva. We are looking for any suggestions. So far, we have decided to go to Annecy and then possibly Geneva. Any suggestions on where to stay? I would also like to visit Lyon or Beaune or stay at a chateau for a night on the way, or am I trying to fit too much into six days. Also, is it best to take the train from Paris or rent a car, or do we take the train to our first stop and then rent a car from there to go to Annecy and Geneva. and how much time is taken up on driving vs. the train or is it worth it to "see" the drive. Also, any suggestions about Geneva? How expensive is it and is it worth seeing? Any suggestions on some cute places to stay in any of the above so we can make tentative reservations? Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks. <BR> <BR> <BR>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- <BR> <BR>

Old May 11th, 1999, 01:35 PM
lisa

Geneva is super-expensive and isn't one of my favorites; I found it very commercial and kind of sterile, but maybe that's just me. Personally I liked some of the smaller cities and towns in Switzerland much better. Lugano was my favorite -- very picturesque. In terms of France, I have not spent any time in the specific towns you mentioned but have been to the Loire Valley (stayed in Tours and took daytrips to nearby chateaux -- beautiful) and the Cote d'Azur (Antibes is my favorite there -- it's gorgeous).

Old May 11th, 1999, 01:35 PM
lisa

Geneva is super-expensive and isn't one of my favorites; I found it very commercial and kind of sterile, but maybe that's just me. Personally I liked some of the smaller cities and towns in Switzerland much better. Lugano was my favorite -- very picturesque. In terms of France, I have not spent any time in the specific towns you mentioned but have been to the Loire Valley (stayed in Tours and took daytrips to nearby chateaux -- beautiful) and the Cote d'Azur (Antibes is my favorite there -- it's gorgeous).

Old May 11th, 1999, 01:41 PM
lisa

Geneva is super-expensive and isn't one of my favorites; I found it very commercial and kind of sterile, but maybe that's just me. Personally I liked some of the smaller cities and towns in Switzerland much better. Lugano was my favorite -- very picturesque. In terms of France, I have not spent any time in the specific towns you mentioned but have been to the Loire Valley (stayed in Tours and took daytrips to nearby chateaux -- beautiful) and the Cote d'Azur (Antibes is my favorite there -- it's gorgeous). Also, in terms of trains vs. driving, I think trains are a better choice in Europe. You can relax and enjoy the scenery instead of worrying about directions or traffic and being stressed out, plus you meet a lot of interesting people on the train instead of being closed into your own little world. Also, the cost of trains is very reasonable, whereas renting a car can be expensive, especially with the high cost of gas. I have found trains to be extremely convenient and efficient and just less worrisome in general than driving in a foreign country. I hope this helps.

Old May 12th, 1999, 02:24 PM
gregoire

susan, <BR>I would recommend taking the TGV -3 hours and 40 minutes, no car can beat that. You can even sleep in the TGV, and the trip should be great. <BR>If you decide to go by car anyway, Beaune is a very nice town -look for the old roofs, I don't remember on which building, but this is typical from the aera. If you take the A6 -autoroute du soleil, exit at Avallon, about 200 km after Paris, to see "Vezelay", a wonderfull church/abbaye from XIIth century. This is a bit touristy, but still a must-see. <BR>Earlier on the A6, you can look for "Moret-sur-Loing", probably not far after Fontainebleau. Downtown is nice. <BR>Pouilly-en-Auxois, after Avallon but before beaune, is nice too. <BR>An other way to get to Geneva -not the greatest, again-, is by the north, through JURA. Yes, these are the mountains that gave their name to the second era, which in turn gave its name to some famous parks... Dole, not far from Beaune, has a wonderfull pedestrain downtown -the Church is superbe, attend mass on sunday morning, the organist is one of the best in France/Europe. Then head to Poligny, the home country of gruyere cheese, and if you have time, drive to Arbois, where they have such great white wines -look for "La route des vins". Then champagnole, very Nice too, and Morez : don't get in the town, but go directly to the mountain town of "Les Rousses". My family has a house there. You can go directly to Geneva, or stop right at the border going to Gex, and be lifted up the mountain (there's a ski resort, in "Mijoux"), and from the bar there appreciate the view on the city of Geneva, its lake, and the white mount, in front of you, like nowhere else. I love it.

Old May 17th, 1999, 03:26 PM
susan

Lisa and Greg- <BR> Thanks for the help. I probably won't be going to far into Switzerland because of time restraints, but thanks for the insight in regards to Switzerland. I have decided to drive and Greg, the route you described sounds great. I think I'm going to look into going to Geneva first and then on to Annecy. Any suggestions as to where to stay in or near Beaune? Thanks again.

Old May 18th, 1999, 06:36 AM
GA

We are staying at Hotel De La Poste in Beaune this Fall. I found it in the Karen Brown guide to France. I made reservations via email directly with the hotel and I must say they seemed very nice and accomodating. Good luck!

Old May 18th, 1999, 07:05 PM
Graziella

I agree , why Geneve? <BR>But if you must go for some reason, you can stay in France in the border with Geneve, coming from Annecy it is very convenient, I do not remember now the name exactly but e mail me and I shall look it up for you, I think the name is Gaillard. Yo u will be in France, where everything would be much cheaper, there are several 3 stars hotels, park your car free, or almost free, and take a tram way, a Swiss tram way that is. <BR>The trasm way stop is only a few yards away from France, for 2 Swiss Francs you ll be in the center of Geneva in 15 minutes or so. <BR>But I agree with other before me there are a thousand nicer little towns to visit, Beaune for one is fantastic. Good luck.

Old May 18th, 1999, 08:32 PM
Susan

Thanks for the suggestion and reiteration regarding Geneve. As a matter of fact, we are going to Beaune and Dijon along the way. Any suggestions as to cute B&B's or quaint hotels, villas, etc. to stay in that area? We have also decided to stay in Annecy and take a day in Geneve, perhaps a day in Lyon or Grenoble. Any suggestions there? Thanks for all the help.