How to spend 6 days in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are having a our first vacation in Europe and will go London, Paris and from Paris take an overnight train to Italy. We have 6 days/nights in Italy and want to visit Venice/Florence/Rome for sure. The only thing I can't decide is whether to take the overnight train to Milan, spend half day there and go to Venice in the evening. So it will be 2 nights in Venice (but only 1 day for sightseeing), 1 night in Florence and 3 nights in Rome. Or skip Milan and go Venice directly so we will have more time in Venice.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:28 PM

I don't think one day is enough in Venice. I'd rather spend more time in one place than see just a bit of many places. This is a personal preference, though, so you might be OK with it. Take into account travel time, possibly taking a wrong turn, or stumbling on something you really want to spend more time on.
Sounds like a great trip.
Old May 8th, 2009, 05:44 PM

Have you looked into inexpensive flights between Paris and Venice. Many do not find a night train restful, and with such little time in Italy you might not want to waste it feeling cranky after a sleepless night.

With such a short amount of time, I'd skip Florence or Venice to maximize time in your locations.

You set aside only one night for Florence--are you really interested in it or are you just trying to get a taste? Rather than change hotels again, you might stay in Venice for 2 nights and Rome for 4 nights. Depart from Venice on an early train and stop in Florence for lunch and some afternoon sightseeing. Then continue your journey with a late train to Rome. You can store your luggage in the baggage deposit at the Florence train station.

I notice from your wording that this is your "first vacation in Europe." Therefore I assume you plan to return. Keep thinking of it as "first" and save some places for next time.
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:45 PM

I'm with Challiman and ellenem: waaaay too much for the allotted time. You will see more train than you will sights.

Do only one place, maybe two. The three spots you've chosen each have a myriad of nearby highlights, so don't think you'll be missing out. And skip Milan. Not because there's little to do, you just can't fit it all in. I know it's tempting to see as much as you can while you've got this great opportunity, but you will end up seeing *less*. Savor your time, go deep not broad.

Regards, Bruce
Venice Travel Images -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...2_z_venice.htm
Rome Travel Images -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri...el2_z_rome.htm
Tuscany Travel Images -- http://www.brucegcollier.com/galleri..._z_tuscany.htm
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:22 AM

Fly to Venice and spend your time there.
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:44 AM

I would take the night train from Paris ( I like night trains) directly to Venice, and skip Milan. Two nights in Venice. Train to Rome, and as suggested maybe stop in Florence for a short visit. Rome for 4 nights. If you didn't already stop in Florence, you could do it as an easy day trip from Rome. Think of it as a scouting mission for your next visit.
Old May 9th, 2009, 08:39 AM
ira

I would fly www.myair.com from Paris Ory to Venice VCE and go on from there.

Old May 9th, 2009, 09:01 AM

I'd second ira's suggestion about myair (assuming they're still doing the early evening arrival at Marco Polo). Do 2 days in Venice then either fly or take the train to Rome and spend the rest of your time there. There's no way on God's green Earth that you're going to do Venice-Florence-Rome and come away with anything like an appreciation for them. Better to leave Florence out of the mix altogether and save it for another trip when you're actually allowing yourself some time.
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi shirley,

what the others said. in spades. if you do what you have suggested, by the time you get to Rome you will have no idea what town you are in, let alone which pictures/buildings you saw where.

take you time, europe will still be here another time, but if you carry on like this, you probably won't be!

regards, ann
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

If you had to choose between art and scenery, which would it be?
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 04:41 PM

Hey everyone - I'll be spending 6 days in Italy with my son. Both of us are photographers (ok - amateur photographers). He's in school in Florence. Trying to make the most of my time there. Been reading the other blogs. One thing that we really want to do is see Venice. What are my must do, must see locations or attractions. Feel free to e-mail just in case I miss the replies.

[email protected]
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM

This just really won;t work. You need at least 2 days (3 nights) in Venice to see much and 3 days (4 nights) in Rome to see the most basic sights. And we really can't tell you what you must see. Suggest you get a couple of good guides books - and study the ones with photos of major sights so you can decide n your must sees for each city. then you can figure out how much time you need there.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM

As for photography of art - many museums have strict policies - some don;t allow cameras at all and I don;t know any that allow flash or tripods - so except for basic snaps you're basically talking eithre nature or outsides of bujildings.