Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HOW TO: reserve train tickets using the SNCF site in French

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I can gather, many people seem to have trouble booking tix on the english-language version of the SNCF site. The French version seems much easier to use, so, helpful soul that I am ;-), here's how it works.

1) Go to www.sncf.com
2)Click on the text link on the left of the screen "Réservez ou achetez"

3) A new screen appears. In the central form field, marked Trains, enter the following information:

* Au départ de = Departure city
* Départ (jj/mm/yyyy) = departure date in dd/mm/yyyy format, select a time period from the drop-down list.
* A destination de = enter the destination city
* Retour (jj/mm/yyyy) = enter the return date in dd/mm/yyyy format and select a time period from the list. If you want a one-way ticket, leave the "Retour" box blank.
* Under "Adultes", select the number of adult passengers. If travelling with children, or if you want a special discount fare (if you have an SNCF discount card, for example) then click on the blue text link marked "Recherche avancée", and you will be given more options.
* Select 1ere classe or 2e classe.
* If you are only looking for train times, leave the radio button marked "Recherche d'horaires" selected.
* If you wish to purchase seats, make sure you select the "Réservation express au meilleur prix" button.
* If you want a smoking carriage, select the "Fumeur" radio button.

4) Next, click the green "Rechercher" button.

5) The site will display a screen with a list of trains. The fields listed, from left to right, are as follows.

* Suggested train number, length of trip, total price for specified number of passengers.
* Departure station, time, and arrival station and time.
* "Sens de la marche possible" means there are seats available facing the direction of travel.
* "Circule en période de pointe" means its during a peak period, so the dispalyed price may be slightly more expensive than off-peak rates.
* Réservation obligatoire: when purchasing your seats online you will automatically be given a reservation for the TGV so you don't need to worry about this.
* Number of the train. This will be printed on your ticket and displayed on the departure displays at the station so you can make sure you're getting onthe right train!
* Confort - class / smoking or non-smoking
* Tarifs - this is the rate that the site has calculated as being the cheapest. If you want a different rate (perhaps a rate that is more expensive, but more flexible, in case you think you may change or cancel) you can select it from the list of dark blue text links underneath the train information section.

* Conditions [I can't list all of these here, but these seem to be the most common]:
(for PREM's fares) Billet non échangeable = ticket not exchangeable
non remboursable = not refundable
paiement en ligne = payment online
Envoie gratuit par courrier ou billet à imprimer vous-même = ticket can be mailed free of charge (in france!!) or you can print out the ticket yourself
(for Découverte à deux fares) A/R obligatoire = you must book a round trip
2 passagers minimum utilisant ce tarif = must be a minimum of two passengers

6) If you find the fare and train that you want, then click on the green button "sélectionnez cet Aller et visualiser le retour" - select this outward journey and view the return journey"
If you want more details about the train, click the orange "voir le détail" button

7) The details of your selected outward train will appear in a new screen. If there are seats available facing the direction of travel, a checkbox will appear saying "sens de la marche possible"
Click valider

8) A screen will be displayed showing the return trains available, if you have selected a round trip. Repeat the procedure above to select the return journey.

9) A screen will appear asking you to confirm your choice.
* The train type, ticket, and timetable details will be shown. To delete this journey, click the pink "supprimer" button. To see details, click the orange "voir le détail" button.

* The total price will be displayed in euros, and below it, a bunch of blue and green buttons. Ignore the blue buttons (SNCF trying to sell you hotel services and car hire). If you want to purcahse another ticket, click "Ajouter un voyage en train". If you want to buy a railcard (family, youth under 25, etc.) then click "ajouter une carte sncf".
If you're done, then click "Terminer la commande.

10) The screen will scroll down to step 2: choisessez comment confirmer votre commande = choose how to confirm your order.
> confirmez votre commande en payant en ligne et choisessez de: = confirm your order by paying online and choose whether to:

Various choices are displayed (depending on ticket type chosen):

>imprimer votre billet vous-même pour gagner du temps = print out your ticket yourself to save time (NB this only applies if you've selected a PREM's fare)

> recevoir votre billet gratuitement par courrier = receive your tickets by mail free of charge (this only applies to addresses in France)

>Retirer votre billet en billetterie automatique ou aux guichets des gares = Collect your ticket from an automatic ticket machine (NB you need a French issued credit card to do this) or from the ticket counter at any train station (any credit card accepted this way)

> Posez une simple option à confirmer ultérieurement = hold the tickets and confirm your purchase later
-- under this option is a radio button and the following text:
"You must pay for and collect your ticket before [DD/MM/YYYY + time] on voyages-sncf.com or at an automatic ticket machine or at the ticket desk of any train station

11) Scroll down to step three. "Indiquez vos coordonnées pour terminer votre commande" = please enter your details to complete your order

* Civilité= select title from list
* Nom = enter your last name
* prénom = enter your first name
* E-mail = enter your email address
These are the ONLY fields you need to fill in, unless you want the tickets to be sent to a French address, in which case enter your address also.

12) In the bottom left corner of the step 3 box, is a paragraph in bold and a checkbox. Check the box to confirm you have read and agree with the terms and conditions of sale.

13) A screen will appear telling you to select the means of payment, and after you've clicked on a credit card type, you will reach a screen with a transaction reference number and the amount. MAKE A NOTE OF THESE REFERENCE NUMBERS IN CASE SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH THE PAYMENT PROCESS.
Enter your card number, and expiry date and hit "Valider".

That's as far as I can tell you for definite, without actually purchasing a train ticket. Once you've confirmed payment, you'll reach a screen that either confirms you'll receive your tickets in the mail, or else lets you print out your Prem's tickets in PDF format (you'll have to enter the passenger names and dates of birth), or if you've opted to collect the ticket from a station, there'll be a 6-letter code that you should make a note of. You'll also receive the same info by email.

There. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:29 AM

Han

I have gone through the instructions you have written and tried to book a PREM one way ticket from Paris to Milan. I got up to step 10, but on my screen I only get the one choice and that is to receive your tickets by mail free of charge, there are no other options. Maybe this is because I am logging on from Australia?? Not sure why not but I can't go past this step. Can I ring and book PREM tickets over the phone instead? I have already lost one fare from trying on the net, don't want to risk it again!

Lesa
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Um. That's weird. I've used the SNCF site to book tickets many, many times and never had that sort of problem, so I can't think what the reason might be! I thought it would help to have the instructions for the site in French, but obviously the Web site has a life of its own...

I'm pretty sure that the PREM tickets are a Web-only deal. It's really weird that they don't give you the option of printing them out.

Did you have to enter your country of residence at any point? Perhaps there's a cookie or something on your computer telling SNCF you're not in France (just in case, you could always go to the folder that your cookies are stored in and delete all the SNCF site cookies).

One last question: what browser are you using? I've found the SNCF site only works properly with Internet Explorer.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:56 AM
Original Poster

I've just had a brainwave. You're trying to book a ticket from France to Italy. PREM tickets are for France only, and the SNCF obviously need to issue the tickets manually for use on the Italian network, as the special fares only apply to the French section of the journey.

Perhaps you could arrange with your hotel to have tickets mailed there?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:59 AM

Ahh maybe that is it, I will ring the hotel and see if they mind, thanks for your help Han.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:09 AM
ira

Hi Lesa,

Also, a PREM ticket must be round trip.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:10 AM
ira

Hanl,

Thanks for taking the time to post this information.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

I often see questions on this board asking how the SNCF site works, and I kept meaning to post a long explanation. So at last I got round to it!!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:17 AM

Truly generous! thank you...
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:18 AM

Wow, hanl! Hat's off to you!

One point about #3 (recherche avancee for special fares--children or seniors). At the bottom of the new screen is "Pays de reception ou de retrait des billets" Country where tickets will be picked up. Be sure to leave France as country selected and do not be disturbed that the US is not one of the countries listed because you will be picking up your tickets in France.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:39 AM

I've been messing around, and even if I order a ticket within France (Paris-Avignon), like Lesa, the only choice I get (printing/send/pick up) is the send directly to your house. That has never happened to me. Hanl, where do you live?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 05:59 AM

Ignore the last post. I just figured out that it kept adding tickets each time I tried, so I had several different trips on there. I got rid of all but one and got all the choices. But I still end up in the same situation as Lesa with Paris-Milan, so the Italy idea must be right.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

I live in France, although I've never specified that on the SNCF site, and I use an English-language browser. I ran through the operations this morning and depending on the ticket type selected, you get different options on the final confirmation page. It's funny, because the sample route I keyed in was Paris-Avignon, for the 12th/16th september. I got a whole bunch of fares and options.

Clearly, the SNCF site must have some evil spyware >-) that detects where you live and how likely you are to understand its foibles, and then screws up your order accordingly (it knows I can understand it so it's obviously not going to mess with me )
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:15 AM

I found this statement on the SNCF web site:

"Bookings cannot be made on our Internet site from North America, Asia and Australia.

If you wish to book from Canada or other countries in North America, please contact our partner Raileurope which sells railway tickets for European travel to customers in these countries.

You may access information on timetables, fares and book your tickets with Raileurope."
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:52 AM

Do you mean if I am not making any round trips, I can't get a PREM fare? I am going on three separate trips, but all heading south. BTW thanks hnl - I'll try your great step by step instructions.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:23 AM

Bravo, hanl! You have done a great service as this topic keeps resurfacing and it seems that the English language website has more ongoing problems than the French. Obviously SNCF could use some improvements in its website user interface.

GrannyPitt, despite that statement regarding North America (a feeble attempt to direct sales to the more expensive RailEurope), many of us in the US HAVE purchased tickets for France. We have printed them on our home computers, picked them up in France, and had them mailed to our homes, even in North America.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:30 AM

I can't imagine why SNCF would want to relinquish business to RailEurope - that makes no sense.

And nobody at SNCF has a clue as to your geographic location when you are ordering tickets to pick up in France, or printing tickets for use when you get there.

Some pretty strange marketing notions going on there.

At any rate, as already noted, it's very possible to purchase tickets from North American. It may not be easy to use the website, but you CAN get tickets.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:41 AM

StCirq, I just figured SNCF had some sort of exclusive distributorship deal with RailEurope. It's not unusual for a "supplier" to agree to direct business to their "distributor" in another country. Of course, that was then and this is now -- the internet has played havoc with these sorts of arrangements.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 11:48 AM

RailEurope has some sort of exclusive sales agreement for North America for which you pay a premium. However being the crafty bargain hunters that we are, many have figured out how to circumvent this arrangement. We booked on the sncf site last Sept. before changes were made and before you could print your own tickets. What you were supposed to do is check the box to collect the tickets when you arrived in France. However, I mistakenly checked the box to have them mailed to my home in the USA. To my surprise the tickets showed up in my mail box 5 days later! The envelope had my name, home address, city, state, zip code, USA , France!
Amazingly we were able to find our train, get in the right car and find our correct seats without even asking for help. Plus the TGV trains are unbelievably fast, smooth, quiet and comfortable. At 33E from CDG to Nimes - what a bargain!
JoeG
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:04 PM

Hanl, I was just saying I agree with you--I get all three options with in-France trips, but when I add Milan to the mix, I only get the mail option, and you can't mail to the US (it's not in their various choices).

However, if you call their English number [011-33] 892-35-35-39 seven days a week from 7 am to 10 pm daily (French time), evidently they will mail your tickets to you.

Does anyone know if you can buy the Prem fare by telephone? I should think you would be able to, but....

Barb, you can get Prem fares for one-way trips. I just tried one--no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -