Reload this Page >

How to reserve TGV seats (in France) from the US without going thru RailEurope

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Laura

...just wanted to pass along a tip -- if you have a Rail Europe pass, you can call SNCF English-speaking call center and make seat reservations for only 3 Euro. They will charge it to your credit card, you can pick them up at the rail station (as opposed to paying Rail Europe $11 plus a handling fee of $15). Their phone number is: 33.892.35.35.39

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:22 AM
xxx

Their fares are at least 50% cheaper than Rail Europe also.<BR><BR>In addition, TGV reservations can be made via the Swiss Rail website also. Their customer service center can be emailed with any concerns or questions and you receive replies within the same day or the following day. Swiss Rail is also at least 50% cheaper than Rail Europe.<BR><BR>Rail Europe is the US agent for both.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 05:48 AM
Bob Brown

I just recently called the sncf and reserved the whole ticket, seat and all, on the TGV to Berne from Gare de Lyon. I have not yet gotten my ticket, but the call was relatively easy to do once I got over the surprise of dialing the so called English speaking number and having French language recordings and a French speaking voice answer.<BR>I asked if we could speak English and we did. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 06:29 AM
danny

Do you know if you can do the same with the Eurostar i.e., London-Paris or London-Brussels? Thanks.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:11 AM
sophie

How far in advance do you need to purchase/reserve tickets? Is it possible to just do so the same day of traveling. I will be traveling from Paris to Avignon.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 07:17 AM
StCirq

Technically, a "reservation" on the TGV means you are holding a ticket at least 5 minutes before the train leaves the station. I have purchased TGV tickets on the spot like that, but only when I'm traveling by myself at a time of year and time of day when I'm pretty sure not to encounter crowds, and when I know there are later trains to catch if I don't get on the one I want.<BR>Most of the time these days I use the SNCF website to reserve tickets, then pick them up at the station. It seems to work beautifully and I am assured a seat on the train of my choice.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Andre

Danny,<BR><BR>I assume you are living in N. America and your first destination in Europe is in the UK. In this case, you won't be able to book the discounted advance purchase fares online directly on the british Eurostar site (they require a UK mailing address and don't accept pickup at the station unless you're booking at very short notice). You might be want to check out:<BR>www.travelselect.com<BR>Never used them, but they seem to offer what you need.<BR><BR>Sophie,<BR>It's not a matter of how close to departure you wait before purchasing tickets, but rather how much you're willing to pay - discounted fares (especially J30 and J8 fares) cost a fraction of full-price travel and sell out very fast. So head to:<BR>www.sncf.com<BR>reserve and PREPAY your tickets (choose pickup in FRANCE). Your tickets can then be issued when you arrive at any train station or "boutique SNCF" in the country.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR>Andre