How to plan for Italian Bus Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never thought I would be asking a "how to I get to..." type question, but here I am.
Planning extended Italian vacation next year, our second time; first with nearly adult kids. This time, come hell or high water, I am going to take a couple of extra days and travel to the birthplace of my Grandfather, Civitanova del Sannio, Isernia, Molise.

I already know that the FS doesn't go any where near there, and count on either a rental car or bus. Not particularly excited about starting out from Rome in a rental car, but don't want to spend hours on a bus stopping every 20 minutes either. The closest large town is Campobasso, next is Isernia.

Any ideas from the well-seasoned travelers here?

Is there a web site I can go to in order to plan a bus trip?
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:26 PM

There seems to be a train to Isernia from Rome.

http://www.discoveritalia.com/iwe/in...a=en&IDidea=70

Also take a look at: www.Trenitalia.it.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM

Current schedule:

http://tinyurl.com/mygxxj
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
J62

Check out www.lariverabus.it which has service to Civitanova del Sannio.

Given the location west of/between Rome & Naples I'd rent a car myself. If you're going for several days that means luggage, and it means you'll want to explore once you're in the area. You could certainly get there with a combination of train/bus, you'll be at the mercy of bus or taxi to go anywhere once you get there.

There are several Rome rental car locations that are easier to get out of the city from - I don't know the particulars. Or you could rent a car in Naples if that's in your plans.

I use trains when going from big city to big city, but for rural Italy a car is a big plus in my opinion.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:36 PM

Hello Jim, well you now have some great information! You will love the Region of Molise which is the smallest and the newest region in Italy. Have a beautiful trip and enjoy the small towns, almost villages, the beautiful scenery and the very pleasant Italians in Molise!
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:38 PM

There are direct trains from Rome to Isernia.

Civitanova del Sannio is in the province of Isernia. Buses to small places typically go from their provincial capitals. You can go to www.orariautobus.it, choose Molise, then choose Isernia. You'll have to look at the schedules of the three bus companies listed there to see which one goes to Civitanova.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM

A car might save you from being entirely at the mercy of well-intentioned relatives.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM

Jim probably doesn't have any relatives in Civitanova but if he does I am sure he will be welcomed with open arms, fed until they can't walk, and taken around the area as the relatives point out all the special places in their area.

Jim, several times we have visited family of my very close friend who is from Molise. The family lives in a small village just a bit south of Civitanova. Cousin's etc., live in Campobasso. We have always stayed at a hotel in Isernia but Campobasso is closer to your grandfather's town. If you don't have relatives in Civitanova think about renting a car when you get to either Isernia or Campobasso so that you can take the couple of days to explore the gorgeous countryside.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great replies. I would have expected trains to Campobasso since it appears to be larger than Isernia.

I would give anything to find out that I still have relatives in Civitanova del Sannio. My grandfather left there in 1917 as a teenager and came to the US. Research has not uncovered any Rigirozzi's, however his mother was a Russo and there appear to be a number of Russo's in the area. He left a niece who he was very close to and I plan on taking a picture of her and her husband taken in the late 20's or early 30's. Maybe somebody will recognize them Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 07:38 PM

There's a Daniela Rigirozzi in Frosolone, around 10 miles down the road from Civitanova, according to the Italian White Pages.

It's certainly not a very common surname. There are only two others listed in all of Italy: a Marco in the province of Como and a Remo in the city of Rome.
Old Jun 22nd, 2009, 08:41 PM

Jim, if you check out the website "discoveritalia.." that ekscrunchy posted above it shows there are trains between Campobasso and Rome as well as Naples etc. Also go to the Trenitalia site ekscrunchy gave..you can change the language to Italy and put in Rome for departure and Campobasso for arrival. Just use it for reseach. Maybe by next year Trenitalia will again be accepting US credit cards. But if not you can just buy the train tickets when you get to Rome.

The families that have stayed in the Region of Molise instead of immigrating seem to "know" everyone or know someone that does so I wouldn't be surprised if you dont find someone who will recognize your cousin and or her husband. Also I am sure there is a church in your grandfather's town/village. That would be a good source of information also. Best regards. P.S. If you have any photos of your grandfather taken as the years went by if there are relatives I know they would be thrilled to see the photographs.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 02:44 AM

I am finding this very moving. I hope you will report back and let us know if you locate any relatives..best of luck!
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the info. We were aware of a Daniella Rigirozzi in Frosolone, but had no idea it was so close. That bears some real investigation between now and the trip.

My siblings and I, as well as my two kids are all eligible for dual Italian-US citizenship. My mother was born in the US before my grandfather became a US citizen, so that makes her an Italian citizen. We are going thru the process right now, which is quite extensive and requires tons of documents, translations and certifications. The best moment of the experience was when we were able to obtain a copy of my granfathers Italian birth certificate from 1903. If I can I would like to get a copy of his baptism certificate as well. The church were the family was baptised is still in existence.

Why I didn't take a couple of days during the last trip and make the pilgrimage, I have no idea. But I'm definetly not going to make that mistake again.
Old Aug 20th, 2009, 09:22 PM

Hi Jim,

I was born in Civitanova del Sannio and now live in British Columbia. I have cousins whose last name is Russo. I wonder if there's any ties. A few years ago we went back to Civitanova with our daughters. We took the train from Naples and arrived in Isernia. We then took the bus to Civitanova. You should still be able to do this now. Check it out, otherwise if you don't have family to take you back they sometimes have a small tour company that might do so. I don't remember there being any taxis. Hopefully,everything will work out for you. The town is beautiful. We own some land there and one day would love to build a small home to visit back and forth from Canada.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Piati; I was on vacation and just noticed your reply. Any chance that you would care to exchange e-mail privately. This is very exciting that your family is Russo. My e-mail is [email protected].