How to pay for Vélib system

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone confirm if I could use a Navigo or Navigo Decouverte pass with the Vélib bike system in Paris?

From my readings, it seams only the account based Navigo (designed for residents) will allow you to use the Vélib system.

My North American credit card doesn't have the chip, so that's not an option. But my bank debit card does, so am wondering if I could use the bank card a payment option on the Vélib if the Navigo Decouverte wont work (Bank card has chip & bank is partner with one of the GIE Carte Bancaire member list)

Any ideas?
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM

I don't know the specific answer, but read post on Tripadvisor where young person/student used debit and had trouble getting the 'hold' (150€?) off their account...

I do know the Navigo Decouverte won't hold any value for Velib - so far, you can only load a Carte Orange pass to it. The regular Navigo can have spending value loaded for Velib.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 08:04 AM

ttt
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 10:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
As far as I know, you must have a Visa or MasterCard with a chip, or else an American Express or JCB card. Otherwise you are out of luck.

In any case, the card must be able to accept the 150€ guarantee.
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the responses... it inspired me to dig deeper and I discovered this:

Navigo Decouverte pass cannot be used as payment for the Vélib.

The Vélib site indicates that a French debit card will work, however I cannot find confirmation if any other debit cards will.

Other payment options have been included in previous posts.

According to information I have found online the Navigo pass will work for a payment option with the Vélib system, but it is intended for residents of Ile-de-France whereas the Navigo Decouverte is intended for visitors.

Since I am planning on stayin in Paris for sometime, I shall try the Navigo route. You fill out a form online and they send it to your Ile-de-France address, which for me is my friends flat that I am renting from them for my stay.