How to negotiate hotel prices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of people who traveled to Italy recently told me that before I book my hotels, should try to email and negotiate prices - some told me if you tell them that you will pay cash or travel checks they will reduce the price; others said you can ask since you are booking early to get a discount.

Any tips regarding this?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:14 PM

When are you going---supply and demand always dictate.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

when demand is high lol. in july. however, since these hotels still have rooms open maybe their demand isn't as hot.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:29 PM

If I recall correctly, you are bound for the Amalfi Coast in July. I would not count on getting much of a discount. Certainly not for travelers checks. If you want to try, when you are in the communication period before confirming your booking, ask in en e-mail if they would offer a small discount for cash.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Also, some hotels will offer discount for long stays--a week, perhaps 4-5 days.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Traveller's cheques...forget it.

The only issue might be...you want to pay them in cash, euro...if you get it at home, you've overpaid by ~5% compared to getting it in Italy. There goes your savings. But to get it in Italy, you need to withdraw over your ATM limit.

So either have bank raise your limit, or if possible withdraw the cash over several days.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM

If you can find a better price on an internet booking site, try calling the hotel directly and ask if they will match it. They will often do so and offer something as a bonus: breakfast, free internet, etc.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:06 PM

You may be able to get a small discount is you are staying for a long period - or negotiate for some special service. But - for Amalfi cost in summer I think it;s more like being ble to find a decnet place than negotiating a discount.

In any case, the time to to it is at first contact - the email or whatever should ask for their best price for whatever type of accommodation, then mention length of stay or whatever benefit you have for them.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Try consolidator sites like www.hotelscombined.com and www.kayak.com and compare to what the hotel offers you directly.

If you are booking very high-end hotels, then maybe you can get a Virtuoso travel agent or AMEX agent to help you. From what I understand, it's not so much for the price, but for valuable complimentary benefits like upgrades, breakfasts, spa treatments, etc.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you use travelers checks -- you are more likely to pay a premium than get a discount. They cost the merchants to cash/redeem/deposit.

If you pay cash, some hotels offer a small discount - but that is just their normal practice -- not any 'negotiation'.

And many places will give a small discount for stays over a set minimum -- 3 nights/a week/whatever their normal policy.

Not like going into some street market and bargaining/negotiating.