How to get to Venice Airport?

Old Jun 29th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get to Venice Airport?

I have a 9 AM flight from Marco Polo airport. Can I rely on public transportation to get me to the airport? (I've not yet been to Venice.) Do I have to find a hotel next to the airport for the night before?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:42 PM

Without more info on where you're staying in Venice I would suggest the Alilaguna which leaves from near St. Mark's square and goes to the airport.

http://www.alilaguna.it/
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 01:43 PM

How are you getting to Venice?
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 02:04 PM

There are a few different options for reaching the airport at that hour, some better than others depending on where you are staying. The Alilaguna is a boat option from a few different locations. There's also a land bus from Piazzale Roma to the airport.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 03:48 PM

We had an 8:30 flight and took a private taxi at 6:30 am to the airport. The price IS VERY PRICEY. I would checkout the times of the other transportation mentioned before to see what time they run. We were right near St Marco Square.

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Well, the problem is I haven't yet booked a room in Venice, so I don't know where I'm staying. Many of the places are booked already. I wanted to stay at the Ostello di Venizia, but that's on a different island and I don't know if I could navigate the city at six in the morning. If this were any other city than Venice, I wouldn't be stressing about such an early departure - I'd just take the underground. Also (having never stayed in a dorm since college) I don't know if it would be inconsiderate of me to stay in a dorm hostel and bang around getting ready at 5 AM.
Old Jun 29th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Will you be in Venice for a few days before your departure or are you just going to Venice to fly home?

The cheapest easiest way to get to the airport is via bus from Piazzale Roma. If you take the local orange bus, it may even be included in any vaporetto pass you might purchase. Otherwise it costs a little over €1, makes other stops along the way, and takes about 30 minutes. There's a direct blue bus that goes directly to the airport and costs about €3. If you stay near Piazzale Roma or the train station, it would be easy to walk to the bus stop. There are many less expensive hotels in this neighborhood.

I would NOT stay at the hostel on the giudecca since vaporetti don't run so frequently that early and there a fewer going to that location.