Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to get to Buyukada from Sultanahmet?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I want to go to buyukada in the Princess Islands from Istanbul (sultanahmet area). The tour company charges $75 for the day. Can we do this on our own using local transportation any cheaper? Anyone with info on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks. Ed
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 08:51 PM

I was just in Turkey over the holidays. We didn't get over to Princes's Island, but from what I read, I think you can just take a ferry over. I would try googling it.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM

From Sultanahmet walk down to the Galata Bridge, do not cross but turn to the right, and there you will find boats that leave every few minutes to the islands. Simply buy a ticket to Buyuk Ada (Big Island) and board the boat. When you arrive (the stops are called out quite clearly), walk from the dock a short distance where the carriages are located. Take a ride around the island and back to where you got on the carriage. Good places to eat all around that square. You will love it, and there is no reason whatever to pay $75 for what you can do on your own. We did it and loved the day!
The boat dock, of course, is nearby and boats will take you back to the Galata Bridge landing.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:27 AM

These are the winter timetables. The service to Büyükada is on page 8. The two terminals in Istanbul are Kadiköy, on the north side of the entrance to the Golden Horn, and Kabatas, which is further north. Fares on these ships are very cheap.
http://www.ido.com.tr/uimages/sehirh...8_2009_kis.pdf
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 05:53 AM

The islands are the Princes' Islands, not the Princess Islands.

Why do you want to go to Buyukada? Are you going to visit the Monastery of St. George?

There is no other reason to go to Buyukada for the day.

From Sultanahmet, take a taxi to Kabatas and take the HIGH SPEED ferry to Buyukada. Do not take the ferry with the tires hanging on the side of the boat. That is the SLOW ferry.

I stayed on Buyukada for three days in July, 2005, at the Splendid Palace Hotel.

Thin
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 06:34 AM

From Kadiköy to Büyükada takes an hour and a quarter on the ship, compared with 55 minutes from Kabatas on the fast ferry which is less frequent. If it's a fine day, you can enjoy the views of Istanbul from the open decks of the ship and have a drink.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:48 PM

If you go to Buyukada, be careful if you take a carriage ride around the island. All you will see is foliage full of litter.

Thin