How To Get Around Brussels?

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Dan

How To Get Around Brussels?

Hello to all! My family will be spending a day in Brussels next week and I have three questions.
What is the best way to get around the city, especially from the Gare du Midi to the Grand Place? Any recommendations for a liquor store with a large selection of beers? (the best Belgian beer ?) Any items to purchase that would make unique gifts? Thank you!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Jim Rosenberg

The good news is that we have a Brussels expert on this board. The bad news is it's not me. Still, I offer the following while we wait for Brenda to show up (and I've done this myself -- it works!)

You can catch the Brussels metro system right from the station. A one-day pass will cost you around $3.50. Don't fool around in the Midi station neighborhood; it's a little on the seedy side and pickpocketing/purse-snatching incidents are not uncommon.

To get to the Grand Place (regarded by some as the most beautiful city square in the world and justifiably so), grab a metro map and take the Number 1 line (Direction Simonis) out of the Midi station, making a tranfer to the Number 1B line (Direction Bizet) at Arts-Loi Kunst-Wet. Getting off at De Brobskere will leave you in the general neighborhood of the bourse. Once there, you can walk the picturesque cobblestone streets to your heart's desire and you will never run out of restaurants, stores and boutiques to check out.

Look for the tower the church that forms one side of the town square. That line of tourists heading down the little side street will take you right to the extremely famous -- (and who knows why?) -- statue of the little boy relieving himself. To make the best use of your time, pick up a tourist guide for Brussels before you go and study the map. The neighborhood in the Louise metro stop area (just three stops up from Midi Station on the Number 2 line) is also interesting, although much different than the main, old city centre.

Belgian chocolate is a good thing to bring back. I didn't pick up any beer, but what I had in Brussel was wonderful. Happy Contrails!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Jim Rosenberg

The good news is that we have a Brussels expert on this board. The bad news is it's not me. Still, I offer the following while we wait for Brenda to show up (and I've done this myself -- it works!)

You can catch the Brussels metro system right from the station. A one-day pass will cost you around $3.50. Don't fool around in the Midi station neighborhood; it's a little on the seedy side and pickpocketing/purse-snatching incidents are not uncommon.

To get to the Grand Place (regarded by some as the most beautiful city square in the world and justifiably so), grab a metro map and take the Number 1 line (Direction Simonis) out of the Midi station, making a tranfer to the Number 1B line (Direction Bizet) at Arts-Loi Kunst-Wet. Getting off at De Brobskere will leave you in the general neighborhood of the bourse. Once there, you can walk the picturesque cobblestone streets to your heart's desire and you will never run out of restaurants, stores and boutiques to check out.

Look for the tower the church that forms one side of the town square. That line of tourists heading down the little side street will take you right to the extremely famous -- (and who knows why?) -- statue of the little boy relieving himself. To make the best use of your time, pick up a tourist guide for Brussels before you go and study the map. The neighborhood in the Louise metro stop area (just three stops up from Midi Station on the Number 2 line) is also interesting, although much different than the main, old city centre.

Belgian chocolate is a good thing to bring back. I didn't pick up any beer, but what I had in Brussels was wonderful. Happy Contrails!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 09:24 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Excuse my double-clutch!

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:07 AM
BTilke

Hi Dan,
I was away in Franconia (Germany) for the past few days, but am back in Brussels. Jim's suggestion is good, but I have an alternative plan:
From the Gare du Midi, take the metro (line 2, direction Simonis) three stops to the Louise metro stop. Change to the 92, 93, or 94 tram heading down toward the Sablon (they will heading away from Haagen Daaz and the Cartier store and towards the Palais de Justice (the big domed building with the scaffolding). Get off at the Sablon (about a 2 minute ride on the tram). If you walk through the Sablon on the left hand side, stop in the Flamant (the correct spelling escapes me at the moment even though I've been there dozens of times) interior design store--not only is it full of interesting gift ideas, it also has an excellent selection of handsome coffee table books (many in English). If you're in town on a week-end, the Sablon also is home to a great antiques market (pretty high quality, very little "junque"). Lots of great souvenir items there.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 10:15 AM
BTilke

Continued...to get to the Grand'Place...At the "bottom" of the Sablon square, you will see a cafe with a large Leffe (beer) sign. Take the biggest street to the right and follow it down the hill. Walk down on the left hand side for more interesting shops (however, about halfway down on the other side is a store that has a great collection of antique prints and posters; turn of the century Belgian posters are every bit as attractive as the French ones and considerably less expensive). Continue down til you hit the rue l'Etuve (it has a traffic light). Turn left down rue l'Etuve and you will see the Mannekin pis (prepare to be underwhelmed); turn right and you'll head to the Grand'Place.
Gift ideas include leather goods from the high quality (but expensive) Delvaux shops; antique chocolate molds (reproductions also available); Art Nouveau reproductions (you'll pass an Art Nouveau collectibles store on the way down from the Sablon to the Grand'Place); square tapestry pillowcases (very easy to pack).
Re beer, there are specialty stores around the Grand'Place. We don't go there--you can find a surprisingly good (and cheaper) selection of Belgian beers at the average grocery store (including the mini-GB grocery store in the Gare du Midi, next to the Body Shop).
BTilke (Brussels)

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Dan

To Jim and BTilke, thank you very much for your help. I can't wait to get there and check everything out!

Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, I need some info on metro routes please….

I am flying in to Charleroi on Saturday and need to get to the Hilton on Boulevard waterloo. I know there is a bus that goes to one of the Main station's, but which line's on the metro do I take from there?

I did the same journey last year but recently threw out my metro map. All the websites I can find are in Flemish or French, I speak neither well enough to read the websites.

I know that at a weekend 2 people can use one day pass on the metro just need to figure out my route!
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 01:39 PM

Adobbing:
If your bus goes to the Gare du Midi, you take the Metro, direction Simonis, three stops to Louise (about 5 minutes on the metro). Get off and walk up (figuratively, it's not actually uphill) the Blvd. Waterloo toward the hotel (about a 3-5 minute walk, depending on your luggage). If your bus drops you off at the Gare Centrale, take the #1 metro line to Arts-Loi (Kunst-Wet in Flemish/Dutch) and transfer to the #2 metro line, direction Clemenceau. Take that two stops to Porte de Namur and walk DOWN about 3-5 minutes to the Hilton (if you've got a lot of luggage, exit on the Toison d'Or side of the Namur station--that has escalators--on the Waterloo side, it's steps).
However, it's a cheap cab ride (less than $10) from either of those stations and you might prefer springing for a cab instead of the metro, especially if it's in the evening or it's raining.
One note: be careful about the park behind the Hilton. Muggers like it. It's ok during the daylight, there are usually other people around, but don't use it at night.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:10 AM
BRU

There is a much easier way to get to the Grand' Place from Midi.

Just walk out the main exit of the station towards the signs for the taxis. Cross over two lanes, past the taxi ranks and take the 52 (Esplanade), 56 (Schaerbeek) or 81 (Heysel) tram three stops (Lemonnier, Annessens) to Bourse/Beurs. Walk up Boulevard Anspach to the Bourse and turn right. Walk down Rue de Bourse two blocks to the Grand' Place. The whole trip is about 15 minutes. You can buy tram tickets on the tram from the driver for EUR 1.40 each.

As for beer stores, BY FAR the best beer store in Brussels is Beer Mania. It is at 174-176 Chausée de Wavre
in Ixelles not far from Troon metro. Checkout: www.beermania.be