Notices

How to find local car hire companies?

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to find local car hire companies?

Hello everyone

I will be flying into Treviso Airport and would like to know how I can find out who the local car hire companies in Treviso are, so that I can compare their prices with Autoeurope etc.

Also, would it be cheaper for me to not hire from the airport but to travel by bus/train to a non-airport pickup location and if so, where would be the nearest place to Treviso Airport?

Thank you!
Pam
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 06:53 AM

A word of advice: often times it is better to stick with companies that, in the event something goes wrong, you would be able to deal with easier, i.e. US representatives, etc... Italy is not one of the smoothest countries when it comes to car rentals; expensive and more mandatory insurance coverage(s) than other countries. If I were you I would: 1)rent from the US (prior to arrival to Italy), 2) Compare prices among car rental companies located at the Airport; ofentimes they will suggest alternate dropoff points and waive surcharges, 3) go back to AutoEurope if you find a better quote for a similar service; very often they are willing to negotiate (they did this for me on a recent trip to Spain), 4) Again, if you are not comfortable with renting to begin with, then stick with Hertz/Avis/Alamo/AutoEurope, this may not be the place you want to save a few bucks.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:10 AM
ira

Hi Pam,

Usually people fly into Treviso to visit Venice.

Where are you going that you wish to rent a car?

Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:18 AM

I wouldn't advise going this route. First, it will almost certainly be more expensive to rent from a local agency than from one of the big US companies or a broker like AutoEurope. I've checked out the prices of car rental agencies in Italy and France and once ended up doing a three-day on-the-spot rental in France for some people who came to visit us and decided they wanted a car. It was more than twice the price of my AutoEurope rental for a much less desirable car.

Then there's the issue of what you do if something goes wrong. How good is your Italian? Will you be able to make contact with someone at the agency during siesta or on a weekend or evening if the car breaks down in the middle of nowhere?

The small amount of money that you MIGHT save (and I don't in any way think you might save any) could be vastly offset by a whole new set of burdens. Just call AutoEurope.
Old Dec 18th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies!
Ira, I'm visiting the Valle d'Aosta, the Lakes and the Dolomites for 3 weeks next July and want to see as much as possible, so I am renting a car so as not to waste time waiting for buses and trains, though normally I'm a public transport user. I have to watch the pennies (or cents!) and I know that if I fly into (say) Turin and rent there and then drop off at Treviso I will be charged extra - and I want to spend most time, and end my holiday, in the Dolomites so I plan to rent in that area and drive back to Aosta - I will have a whole day to do this journey and am quite happy to drive on the autostrada - to me it will be another aspect of the holiday!
Viajero2 and St Cirq - I take your point about using the larger tried and tested companies, especially as I will be travelling out of the local area so will probably rent from AutoEurope or similar - unless anyone suggests otherwise?! My Italian is ok for day to day stuff but not for auto emergencies!
Best wishes, Pam