How to find a bathroom in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This link is actually on the fodors main page, but I clicked to see what it was about:

http://thebathroomdiaries.com/

It seems really great - you can locate bathrooms all over the world, and since we are going to London, Paris, Rome, Florence, it seems like a great website - anyone want to judge what they say about the bathrooms in Paris? I don't know how dated the information is since they still list Samaritaine in there list.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Also listed for Paris - Mark & Spencers?? Gee, how current is this website?
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM

There are so very many oddities about the France section of that website (and perhaps other sections - I didn't check them), in addition to its out-of-date problem, I don't see how it would ever be of any use.

Where the heck is Paraza, France?

And you have to love San Mere Eglise.

And listing all the museum bathrooms as free is kind of deceptive, since you have to pay to get into the museum to begin with, and once you're there you're hardly going to be leaving it to find a bathroom.

And I'm really wondering about that handful of restaurants and bistros they mention - I highly doubt the owners would be pleased to know they're listed!

I think I'd just rather ask and experiment.
Old May 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I seem never to have to hunt down a loo. There are public wc's, plus every museum/gallery has them, plus restaurants/cafes/pubs. Hardly ever a major expedition.

IMHO, a list like this would be fairly useless -
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM

Just walk into any major hotel, pretend you're waiting for someone in the lobby and use the loos!
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:15 PM

On my first trip to France about ten years ago I found the finding the bathroom experience a little troubling.

Back then they had the glorfied Port-a-Potties around Paris and you had to pay to use them. I think in the last year or so they are now free.

Coming from the USA I found the standards for public bathrooms in France very different. Two years ago I was at Gare Montparnass and had to wait about an hour for my train. I walked all over the station trying to find a public restroom. I could not even find directional signs to the toilet. I finally went into a small cafe in the station and after ordering used their bathroom. I also notice that there were many people coming into the cafe just to use the bathroom facilities.

I question how up to date the information is on the link above. In Paris they were quoting the fees in franc. France has been using the Euro for a number of years now.

France has health care for their people but they have to pay to pee. I guess another case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:29 PM

<<France has health care for their people but they have to pay to pee. I guess another case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.>>

In the Uk we have the expression "to spens a penny" - it comes from having to pay an old penny to use a public convenience. It is perfectly normal to pay.
In Holland you pay if you use a cafe's facilities without buying something there, and in most loos you leave a tip.
Old May 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM

Paraza is about 100 miles east of Toulouse and 140 miles north of Barcelona. Wonder why they'd even mention it if StCirq doesn't know where it is.

BTW, the restaurant to the left of the statue of St Joan on horseback on Rue de Rivoli had the foulest smelling toilet in the basement.
Old May 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM

<i>jody,
Just walk into any major hotel, pretend you're waiting for someone in the lobby and use the loos!</i>

Yes.

The thing you never ask is &quot;Where is the bathroom?&quot; The &quot;bathroom&quot; is where they take a bath or douche. In Europe the &quot;WC&quot; is where they do their regular business.

Old May 12th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Not that I am an expert after my 1 trip or anything but we didn't have any trouble finding facilities in Germany. Between the subways, fast food places, museums, hotels, restaurants, beer gardens, and cafes, we never were far from one when we needed it.
Old May 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM

hopscotch!

Yes , bathroom seems like one wants to bathe! What is wrong with asking &quot;where is the toilet/&quot;

And just what the Heck do the Americans mean by a &quot;powder room&quot;/ What exactly are you &quot;powdering&quot;?
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
your nose
Old May 12th, 2007, 05:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The trick about public restrooms is simply remember to use them when you see them. By the time I really need one, is no time to consult a list and start looking for addresses which may well be across town.
Old May 12th, 2007, 10:57 PM

jody,

I guess you are European. In the USA &quot;powdering your nose&quot; is a female euphemism for using the potty, loo, WC, or whatever you want to call it. Us gents call it what it is, within reason. OTOH, there was movie with Whoopie and some white boy and he referred to it as &quot;draining the lizard.&quot; Gottalovit as my friend from Louisanna says.

Old May 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM

They're all euphemisms, &quot;toilet&quot; and &quot;lavatory&quot; as much as washroom (which all mean exactly the same thing) or bathroom or restroom, or even &quot;water closet&quot;. Nowadays &quot;powder room&quot; may be much less of a euphemism, and even a pretty accurate definition in some places, or so I'm told.
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:02 AM

Call it a toilet. If you ask for a bathroom no one will understand what you mean.
Old May 13th, 2007, 01:54 AM

&quot;Nowadays &quot;powder room&quot; may be much less of a euphemism&quot;

Good one , Patrick!!