How to fight obesity and overturism

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems there is a new restriction for riding donkeys.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/o...ntl/index.html
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 01:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
People wishing to ride the donkeys will now have to weigh less than 100 kilograms (220 pounds) -- or one-fifth of the donkey's body weight.
Bigger asses on bigger asses.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 02:21 PM

That’s a pretty typical rule You see it all the time with horse and mule tours, at least in the us. I don’t think it fights either aspect—just a pointless attempt to appease PETA, who wants those rides gone period.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 04:15 PM

Clovelly in England's far southwest coast put donkeys out to pasture because of local animal rights' groups actions - but that was going up and down a steep cobblestoned lane. I support PETA in many cases but riding a donkey if not too bid a burden seems harmless - folks have been riding donkeys all over world for eons - what's difference with them or horses?
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:17 PM

The point is the poor animals on Santorini, and in many 9but not all) tourist spots, have to carry too heavy a load, work too many hours, have insufficient or no access to food and water, no shade and often have such poor fitting tack that they suffer terrible sores. Not only donkeys but mules, and horses too.
They lead a terrible, short life, often having to work up to the point of giving birth, then having to start again with a new born foal at foot.
The new rules on Santorini are not only a weight limit, but rest breaks, access to food and water and not working in late pregnancy plus regular checks on the harnesses on the aniimals.

My DIL worked with Brookes hospitals for a while as a volunteer vet. It was a very difficult time for her, even as an experienced equine vet who has seen a lot, and is not in the least squeamish (she'll happily skin a dead foal so an orphaned foal may be adopted by a mare for instance).

Generally PETA is a terrible organisation aimed at killing off all domestic animals, but in this case they have helped make those donkeys lives a little better.

As for curing obesity I guess if they have to walk instead it will either kill or cure them.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
seems good, too many fat tourists wandering around
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:55 PM

I am a fat tourist. I wouldn't ride a horse (even though I can and loved doing so) never mind a donkey, because of my weight.
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 11:57 PM

I am sorry .. but you should not crawl on a small animal if you are big.. its not ok. It actually disgusts me that people would do that to an animal.. YES donkeys ,, if fed well and treated well, like to work.. but they should not be overburdened.. 220 lbs for them to carry up a STEEP hill in the heat all day long.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 12:11 AM

100 kgms is not necessarily fat. I've got firends who are well above 100 kgms and slim. They are also above 1,9 m tall...
Mules used to carry ammunition even with modern armies, carrying a man or a woman seems not such a bad job compared.
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 01:09 AM

but of course mules are not donkeys

100kgs is fat at 1.9m
Old Oct 11th, 2018, 04:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thibaut
100 kgms is not necessarily fat. I've got firends who are well above 100 kgms and slim. They are also above 1,9 m tall...
Mules used to carry ammunition even with modern armies, carrying a man or a woman seems not such a bad job compared.
Great, Thibaut..but since you aren't the animal then how would you know? But, of course, the PETA people are all bad, they "don't understand" and all the rest of the excuses.
Old Oct 16th, 2018, 10:08 PM

I was working in Santorini as a hotel manager back in 1996 at a hotel located at the Caldera in Oia.
A donkey was the only way to get the luggage of hotel guests from the street down to the hotel.
That worked well, the donkey had an owner who loved him and treated him well. That was also his only occupation, as he would never carry tourists.
I am glad that these rules were introduced, i have always been disgusted seeing how tourists were carried up the steep path from the old harbour of Fira.
Fat or not, this is was something totally unnecessary and imo should stop for good. it only serves the vanity of tourists who are not interested in the poor animals, but are only after
an "authentic local experience" for a few selfies to show back home.
Donkeys and mules were necessary in the old years and they helped locals building their homes and transporting their goods, but hey this is 2018....
They should retire and live their remaining years in peace and happiness. The greedy donkey owners who have been very aggressive towards demonstrators should find another occupation.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 12:03 AM

while the mule population will always die out, I do worry about the donkey population. I see the Spanish are down to fewer than 100,000.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dukey1
Great, Thibaut..but since you aren't the animal then how would you know? But, of course, the PETA people are all bad, they "don't understand" and all the rest of the excuses.
What a gigantic step you take,, Donkey - Dukey.

Just saying that you aren't necessarily obese at 100 kgms. Didn't say anything about PETA, did I ?
Btw, ever been to Romania (and elsewhare, but I just happen to have been there recently) ? Still using horses/mules in the fields and then when horses cannot work anymore, it is sent to a slaughterhouse. Do you think that PETA thinks it is better than have them carry fat tourists ?
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 07:54 AM

220 lbs and over 6 feet tall isn't necessarily obese. But it may be to heavy for a donkey or mule.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by nanabee
220 lbs and over 6 feet tall isn't necessarily obese. But it may be to heavy for a donkey or mule.
Technically it is either obese or very very muscular. If it isn't one it is the other. Probably too heavy for a donkey, not too heavy for a mule.

I have a feeling that not everyone knows what a mule is ;-)
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Totally agree with you Clausar, this is indeed 2018 and we should all do better. Fat assed tourists can do themselves some good by climbing hills on their own two feet.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 04:46 PM

clausar....my husband and I visited Santorini in 1996. we were on a cruise on a tiny ship. He was persuaded to take a donkey up the hill. My husband was slender ...well under 200 lbs..... but the donkey balked all the way up the hill - I watched from the cable car... or was it a funicular? We had a nice relaxed visit.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 05:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I’m 6’3” and 200+. A guide at Petra said his donkey could carry me up to the monastery (a long way up). I told him the donkey and I would have to switch places half way up. Not funny apparently.
Old Oct 17th, 2018, 11:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bilboburgler
I have a feeling that not everyone knows what a mule is ;-)
Bit similar to a hinny, isn't it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -