How to express deepest sympathy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A neighbor's husband just died. We are on friendly terms, but still use <i>vous</i>. The only translation of deepest symapthy in my dictionary is <i>veuillez agr&eacute;er mes condol&eacute;ances</i>, which, given the relationship, is a little too much. What would be a better expression? Thanks.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:25 AM

Another possibility

J'aimerais vous offrir mes sinc&egrave;re regrets sur la mort de....

Mike
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

merci.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM

Should that be &quot;regrets sinc&egrave;res&quot;, with the adjectif following the noun?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Normally the adjective does come after the noun (I am aware of exceptions and differences in meaning: <i>un grand homme</i> and <i>un homme grand</i, but putting it in front is a form of emphasis.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:33 AM

Ma pens&eacute;e est avec vous en ce moment de tristesse...?

Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:14 AM

StCirq- Not &quot;mes pens&eacute;es sont&quot;.....?
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:22 AM

I would put sincere after the noun myself (and do when writing in French, like mes sentiments sinceres), it would have to agree in number with the noun in any case (so mes sincere regrets would be wrong).

I don't think the phrase in your dictionary is a little too much at all given your relationship. In fact, I would write that to someone whom I didn't know well at all. Do you mean it's not enough since it is your neighbor? Perhaps you aren't used to French correspondence which traditionally can be quite formal. Heck, I write things like that to hotels to make reservations or thank people for services (not with the word condoleances, of course).

&quot;croyez &agrave; mes sentiments de profonde sympathie et &agrave; mes condol&eacute;ances attrist&eacute;es&quot; is fairly standard or

&quot;je vous prie d'accepter ma respectueuse sympathie&quot; or &quot;nous vous prions&quot; as the case may be.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM

Well, I just check Le Parfait Secretaire, and it uses &quot;ma pens&eacute;e...&quot;

It also recommends &quot;Croyez que je prends la part la plus sinc&egrave;re `a votre grand chagrin, et recevez l'expression de mon sentiment attrist&eacute; et fid&egrave;lement sympathique.&quot;
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Christina,

The formality of <i>Veuillez agr&eacute;er ...</i> was too much. She planted flowers around our house, we invited each other over for meals, in spite of warnings by another neighbor: her lunches start at 12:30 and end at 6:00. She's the one who gives me home-made foie gras and confit. I arranged for her to use my cousin's property (for free) for hay and grazing her donkeys. But it was still <i>vous</i> and <i>monsieur</i> &amp; <i>madame</i>. I suspect that a misperception of class is part of the problem.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Of all the options on this thread, I would say that Christina has it perfectly right: warm yet correct, without being impersonal.

&quot;Mon sentiment attrist&eacute; et fid&egrave;lement sympathique&quot; is impossible for an Anglophone to write or send -- she'll know it came out of a book.