How to dress for Paris in early Paris?

Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to dress for Paris in early Paris?

Hi Everyone!

I'll be going to Paris in just a month!!! I've looked up the weather and it doesn't seem that cold... BUT I live in the sunny CA where it's about 75 degree year round. How cold does it really get? I heard Paris had a cold winter this year. Also, I know it's still kind of raining season in April so if I wear my Hunter rainboot & bring ballet flats would that be sufficent for walking around the city?

Thanks!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Sorry! Typo! I meant "early April" can you all tell I am excited?!?!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM

Oops! Check your title!

I'm going March 23 and I've been following the weather in Paris closely and they're having 50's and low 60's for the highs. We always layer for best results and flexibility.
As for shoes, I'm more interested in comfort than fashion and wear my blazing white running shoes or my black
I NAOT lace-ups. The shoes the podiatrist recommended only come in white! With a foot issue I'm trying to baby to prevent surgery, I will wear what's comfortable. I've never been in March, always October before, and never really needed any special boots or shoes, but I always take two pair so that if one gets wet I can alternate.
The friends I usually travel with are all from Southern California and we always travel in late March, which means jackets or coats with blouses and sweaters underneath or Cuddl Duds, depending on the temperatures we run into.
I'm already so excited, half my things are packed!
Have a great trip.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:33 PM

We are heading there last week of April and I am only bringing 2 pairs of shoes. Both black, both comfortable. Ballet flats would be hard to wear on the cobbles even if it were sunny and 75.

I may swap one pair of shoes for some waterproof ankle high boots that are thinsulated. I hate having cold/wet feet. I uses the boots for our winter trips to San Francisco.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM

We had lovely weather this past mid-April. I'd say mid 60s. I don't think I'd bring the Hunters. They are very heavy dontcha think? I know my daughter brought hers with her (she lived in BOrdeaux but made trips to Paris) and wore them only once. I ended up bringing them home with me.

I brought just a pair of black ballet type flats, alternating with a flat black Mary Jane - maybe Merrills?? Anyway, it was something more substantial than the ballet flat to give my poor feet a break.

I was also able to get away with just a pashmina type wrap. I had a heavier knit type sweater jacket but only wore it once.

However, the weather can change very quickly. So I'd be prepared with maybe an unlined trench or heavy sweater. Add a fabulous scarf (I have a weakness for these). One year I was in Paris in early April and it snowed so you never know.

Anyway, bon voyage!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Paris in late April-flat walking shoes and layers including a coat. Can't see why you would need thinsulate boots in April--it's can be cool but not freezing. Actaully great weather for being awalking tourist!!!
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Ballet flats are really not practical for walking around in the rain. Bring either sturdy closed waterproofed walking shoes or ankle booties - that will be comfy and keep your feet warm and dry. (Bare feet in 50's and raining is going to feel awfully cold.) the ballet are great for the evenings - but not miles of walking in the rain.
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM

Believe me Paris in April is cold and extremely damp..
Old Mar 11th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I agree that ballet flats would be ok for wearing out to dinner, but not for walking around in all day. nytraveler has the right idea.
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 12:26 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I like your typo. I was thinking how early? Togas? Viking helmets? Marie Antoinette?
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 05:16 AM

ok - I need to add on another "dress" question. I bought 2 pairs of lovely Chico's Travelers pants for Paris as well as the 2 weeks we will be in Scandanavia prior to Paris [mid April].

I am wondering if I am going to be cold? Will I need silk longjohns underneath? I do tend to me cold [hence the thinsulated boots].

http://preview.tinyurl.com/4gnmhh9

Thanks
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:00 AM

I think you'll be cold in Chico's Travelers pants. Better off in some great looking black jeans with traveler's turtleneck underneath a very chic jacket. Then you may (or may not) need a lightweight topcoat depending on the sun or rain. Beautiful (wool) scarves are a big thing there so bring a couple of options or you can find one there to take back as a gift for yourself.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:06 AM

Jeans are an issue - as we will be spending 2.5 weeks traveling before we get to Paris, and washing and drying will be difficult as we aren't staying in one place too long. [That was why I bought the travelers pants.] I am hoping the silk long johns will help. I have a knee length raincoat that has a liner that I will wear, along with hat, gloves and scarf.

Buying a scarf there sounds lovely; do they favor bright colors? patterned[ if so, what kind of patterns - flowers, abstracts]?

Thanks.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:20 AM

I smile each time my eye falls on this Topic Title!
Have a wonderful time in Paris~
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 05:27 AM

I'm packing for my trip to Paris next week, closely monitoring the weather. 50's and low 60's, so not bad. I'm sticking to my layering plan, but still may modify depending on the latest update on Monday. We'll see.
Traveler's pants would likely be too thin, but if you wear Cuddle Duds or similar underneath that might work. I'v worn mine on overnight flights and arrive looking just like I did at the start of the flight. Well, except for my hair! I bought a Zynergy pants and jacket from Chico's to wear on the plane this time, think I will be very comfortable. I always wear pants with no buttons or zippers on overnight flights, and shoes without ties, to make getting through security easily.
And I second the scarf, hat and gloves - they take up so little room and can certainly go a long way in keeping you warm.
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 07:31 AM

April in Paris is justifiably famous, as the weather is generally nice, and often beautiful. However, weather in spring and fall in Paris is extremely variable, so it might be sunny for a few hours, then rainy, then sunny again. More often, there are several days with mostly rain, then several days with mostly sun and fluffy clouds, and so on. If you are unlucky the weather may be overcast and drizzling, but usually in April the sun is often visible, although you may have to dodge fairly frequent, brief showers.

The temperature is normal by NorCal standards, cool by SoCal standards. It can be very chilly or it can be hot. Bring clothing that you can put on or take off in layers, and you'll be ready for anything.

You probably don't need an umbrella, as showers in April tend to be brief, so you can just sneak under an awning somewhere. If you do need one, you can get them for a few euro on the spot, so no need to pack one. Sometimes the rain is so fine that actually opening an umbrella is hard to justify.