How to do Ireland?

Search

How to do Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to do Ireland?

MDH and I are retired and want to spend 10-14 days in Ireland. No interest in Northern Ireland this time.

We are not sure about the driving....is it better to take a private tour vs self-drive? Does anyone have an opinion about a group tour (very small group)? MDH is wary of all the scary stories about insurance troubles, going off the road, etc., so we are really open to positive experiences!

We are looking for scenic places, encounters with locals, good pubs, nice accommodations, and a leisurely pace. We can skip the shopping stops at the famous retailers.

Thanks for any help!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:01 AM

Then you only want to visit Eire, not Ireland.

If someone is a confident and competent driver at home there is no reason why that person will no longer be one when visiting Eire. That's called an irrational fear. Only you and he can decide if that's a real problem or not.

Having your own car and the freedom to go where and when you want is always going to be superior to any group tour.

As to where to go, I'd start by reading some guidebooks either on paper or online and deciding what appeals to YOU.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:16 AM

We had no problems driving at all. It takes a day to get used to it, but otherwise we were fine. No insurance problems either.

The crowd around here will pick self-drive over a tour nine times out of ten, so you're definitely getting a biased sample, but if you're interested in self-drive and have no problems driving at home, there's no reason in the world not to try it. Get the smallest car you can (packing light will help!), and make sure to reserve an automatic unless you're very used to driving a stick.

There's a trip report from my 2007 trip to the southwest if you click on my name (there are many more recent reports as well, but just to get you started - I imagine the scenery hasn't changed much).
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:39 AM

Like a lot of "old wive's tales", there is a grain of truth to some of these stories. Yes, at first, understanding car rental insurance can be a bit tricky. And yes, it does take a bit of time to get used to driving on a different side of the road. And yes, you are likely to encounter some more narrow roads than you may be used to driving. But, like a lot of these stories, things tend to get embellished in order to make for a better story.

To get the experience you are looking for, I would highly recommend have a rental car. You will have the freedom to go where you want, when you want. The only true leisurely pace is the one you set for yourself, not one dictated by a tour group. So, how to proceed?

First, spend some time researching insurance, especially CDW and super CDW (collision damage waiver). Check multiple sources, there is some bad info out there. Based on my experience, you will purchase CDW as part of the rental fee, but that has a very high deductible, and still won't cover such things as damage to mirrors, tires, wheels, etc... That's where super-CDW comes into play. This additional coverage lowers your deductible (from €2,000 to something more reasonable like €200), and may cover additional items. Now the car rental company will be happy to sell you that super-CDW, but their rates are high (its usually pure profit for them). While your credit card may offer car rental insurance, most cards will exclude Italy and Ireland, go figure. Luckily, there are 3rd party CDW companies that will sell you a policy at a reasonable rate. Sometimes this may also be called "excess damage waiver". 3rd-party rates tend to be lower and also cover items such as lost keys, etc... So, once you figure that out, one less thing to worry about.
Also, I've had good experience with Dan Dooley rental, they seem to be more upfront with costs than the other rental agencies.
Also, spend some time reviewing maps, considering your routes, etc... Get a good map well ahead of your trip, and also spend some time familiarizing yourself with Irish road signs.
Finally, keep things simply on your first day, have some patience. In general, highway speeds are lower in Ireland, so it will take longer to get around than you might think.
But, after the first day or so, you'll be fine, and then you can enjoy the benefits of having a car. We spent our time in Western Ireland, landing in Shannon, visiting Limerick, Galway, and lots of great small towns in between. I was so glad we had the car for that trip.
good luck!
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:56 PM

For scenic beauty, hard to beat the area around Killarney. Muckross Abby. Killarney Park and walking around the gorgeous lake. The Ring of Kerry. The Gap of Dunloe...the list is long. You could fly into Shannon and then make your way to Dublin; am sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

For pubs, Dingle is a small town that's known for some of the best traditional irish music.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:02 PM

I would not like to tour Ireland on a tour bus, but believe it or not, it is possible to see Ireland without a car. We've been there four times without one.

Of course, part of the time on three of those trips, we've spent a good chunk of time on cycling trips, and that's not what you're up for, I know

Nevertheless, on all four trips, we've made extensive use of the national bus system quite easily.

Once, when we could not figure out how to get from point A to point B by bus or rail, we went to the local tourist bureau and simply hired a driver for a quite reasonable sum for that leg of the trip.

So going carless truly is very doable is you don't want to have one.

If you want to test out routing without a car for a bit, simply use the national transport website:
http://www.transportforireland.ie/
to test the waters.

Of course, you'd have to know where you want to go. So I'd suggest you start with a good map and print out some of the itineraries people have posted on this board for their trips so you can see what you might want. You could even grab itineraries from those tour buses and see how you could route their tour yourself, too.

Enjoy planning!
AZ
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:16 AM

dulciusexasperis wrote "Then you only want to visit Eire, not Ireland."

That is a politically-loaded use of language. There are two states on this island, correctly-named in English "Ireland" and "Northern Ireland". Intolerant nationalists try to avoid using the term "Northern Ireland"; intolerant unionists try to avoid using the term "Ireland". The rest of us get on with life using the correct names for the states. We are often irked by the playing of wordgames about the naming of the political units on the island.

In the unlikely event that a visitor needs to to specify a distinction between the state and the island, it doesn't get up anybody's nose if you refer to "The Republic (of Ireland)".

Use "Éire" only if you are speaking the Irish language.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:27 AM

OP, if you want to maximise your opportunities to encounter local people, enjoy the pub scene, and do things at a lesiurely pace, you will have better opportunities if you can persuade your husband to hire a car (while, of course, not using the car for pub visits; choose your accommodation so that you are in walking distance of pubs, or be prepared to shell out for taxis).

Do remember that the huge majority of visitors who use hired cars have no great difficulties. You are in the area of calculated risk, but I suggest that the reward-to-risk ratio is good.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 07:18 AM

Actually, we consume a lot of beer and hang with locals all the time when we go.

Without a car.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 08:02 AM

We have done it all ways and I love the no car option and using public transportation the best. We take shorter day trips on tour buses and love leaving the driving to others so we can drink for lunch and dinner, look at the scenery and have no worry about driving. We are not alcoholics but we are on vacation and we are in Ireland and we love eating at pubs and drinking Guinness or Murphy's Irish stout. We always book our lodging within walking distance of transportation and places to eat and shop. an example: We rent an apartment in Dublin, explore the city but hop on the train and spend the day in Howth, another day we might take a day tour to Newgrange or the Wicklow mountains. You can take the train to Cork or we like to do the train to Galway for overnights there. We usually have two to three bases for our trips. Next trip we are taking the train or bus to Belfast. Every major city has tours for the day and they are inexpensive. We have rented a car but whoever drives does have to pay attention and misses out on things imo. Big tours for the whole trip are not our thing but don't mind the smaller day tours.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 10:04 AM

Actually Padraig I though Eire was the correct geopolitical name. I have no interest in the politics and no ties to Ireland of any kind.

Since you disagreed with Eire as the correct name I had a look at some maps: https://www.google.ca/search?q=polit...w=1280&bih=687

All show Ireland as you say, not Eire and no name is given to Northern Ireland portion of the island at all. It is simply coloured as part of the UK. So, I stand corrected.

Now, what does this tell us about Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland? None of them exist geopolitically, they are all part of the UK and not 'countries' in their own right. That can set the cat amongst the pigeons I'm sure.
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 01:22 PM

I'm not really interested in making political points - certainly not on a forum like this.

I think the Scots and the Welsh are quite happy to be seen as nations. It seems to me that the English can also be seen as a nation, but are sometimes slightly surprised to be seen as such. The identity of the Northern Irish is not so simple: you would probably not be lynched for referring to Northern Ireland as a state; some people would be discomfited if you called it a nation.

You can call us, the people of the Irish Republic, a nation or a state or a country; nobody is likely to take offence. Refer to Éire (and assume you get the pronunciation right) and we might raise an eyebrow or two, and respond "Nach íontach an Ghaeilge atá agat tar éis seachtaine inár measc."