Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to do Edinburgh and Paris in 8 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - I know this sounds like a random plan but we are a family of 4 with two 50+ and two 20+ who have desires to visit our ancestral home of Edinburgh/Kirkcaldy and basically the Kingdom of Fife. While we're this close, we've always wanted to see Paris. My energetic and travel hungry 27 and 28 yr olds also thought we could fit in London. We only have 8 days, possibly 9, from start to finish and I have some health issues that will require me to rest occasionally. We're interested in food, beer, wine, whiskey, museums and countryside beauty. While in Paris, the Louvre is a must and hopefully a trip to Versailles. I've heard apartments are the way to go with a family of 4 vs. hotel. I know flying between Edinburgh and Paris is the fastest but we love train travel and being able to see the countryside. We have a very modest budget as well. Any advice about how to make this travel plan work will be deeply appreciated. Thank you to all!
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM

When you say "eight days", do you mean eight full days, which is nine nights in Europe? If you mean eight nights, that's really only seven full days, one of which would be taken up by travel.

You should definitely get a multi-city air ticket so that you can fly into Edinburgh (or other nearby airport) and home from Paris.

Considering that visiting your ancestral home is the main purpose of the trip, I think you should plan to spend four full days in Scotland and two full days in Paris. I myself wouldn't want to spend those two days visiting the two most tourist-plagued places in the area. If you really must see the Louvre, I would skip Versailles in favor of some other less popular palace, and if you really must see Versailles, I would skip the Louvre and visit some lesser-known museum, or something else on the less-trodden path.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 03:07 PM

<We only have 8 days, possibly 9, from start to finish and I have some health issues that will require me to rest occasionally.>

Does that timeframe include the kids too or just you and the hubby? There's no way you could do Edinburgh, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Paris and London in 8 days. Hard enough to drop London or Paris and still hit your itinerary. Generally, it'd be difficult enough. With "health issues" that require rest (which implies something more than sitting for 15 minutes to catch your breath), there's no bloody way. Stop chasing unicorns.

You might be able to fly open jaw into Edinburgh and out from Paris and catch a cheapo airline hop from whiskyville to the home of Eiffel. The airline hop will be FAR less expensive than the requisite trains (Edinburgh to Kings X, Eurostar to Paris, on separate tickets).

"Modest budget" has no meaning. A Russian oligarch's modesty is a normal person's luxury. Speak in terms of per night lodging. If you're looking for $100/night with four adults, it won't happen, at least not anyplace you'd want to stay.

And the only whiskey in Scotland comes from Ireland, the US, Japan and other countries. The native production is whisky.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 03:24 PM

<< We only have 8 days, possibly 9, from start to finish >>

The first day (arrival day) will only be about a half day since it takes time to clear immigration, get luggage, travel into town, and check into the hotel/apartment. The last day you're flying home. That leaves 6 or 7 days. You'll need to carefully choose what to see in Edinburgh and Fife.

Allow 3.5 days in Scotland and 3 in Paris. The other half day you'll be traveling from Edinburgh to Paris, if you fly. If you take the train it will take an entire day.

I looked at the train schedules and you'll have to change train stations in London but I don't know enough about London stations and distances so I can't say if you plan to take trains will work.

I would start looking at guide books, make a list of everything you want to see, and cut the list to fit in the time you have.

If it were my trip I would spend the entire time in Scotland.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 03:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>While we're this close, we've always wanted to see Paris. <<

You won't be 'close'. Do you want to see any of Scotland other than Kircaldy and a tiny bit of Edinburgh? There is a TON to see in Fife other than Kircaldy.

W/ only 8 days I'd do JUST Scotland.

Day 1 is spent in the air flying to the UK
Day 2 is half spent arriving in the UK and getting to the hotel - and the other half starting to get over the jet lag .
Day 8 has no time for anything but packing and getting to the airport.

That leaves you 5 full days to actually see/do anything. If you use another half+ day getting to Paris you are down to 4.5 usable days. And you need to allow for health issues . . .

So if it was me I'd spend about 2.5 days in Fife (ST Andrews, Kirkaldy, Crail, Anstruther, Falkland Palace, the Isle of May) and the rest in Edinburgh.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. We've decided to fly into Edinburgh, see what we can in Kirkaldy, St.Andrews all in 4 days then fly to Paris and spend the remaining 4 days. We've been to Scotland before but this trip is for our kids to see where Great Granddad was from. We all have things we want to see in Paris. The Louvre is a must - everything else is to be determined. The trip is planned for the middle of August so we're still in the planning stages. As much as we'd like to spend more time 9 days is all we have and after Edinburgh, Paris was the other must see. Sadly, this is probably the last trip we'll be able to take as a family so want to make the most of the time we have! Thanks again and so happy to hear more suggestions.
Old Mar 28th, 2014, 10:03 PM

Sorry about the typos in my post I know every well how to spell Kirkcaldy -- temporary brain fade

Just to be clear - If you want 4 days in Scotland and 4 days in Paris, that means you need a total of 11 days. If you have a total of 9 days the most you can get is 3.5 days in one city and 3 in the other. And it will really be more like 3 and 3 . . .

And now you have the issue of August. Edinburgh literally doubles in population all of August. W/ the festivals/Tattoo every single hotel room will be booked up (many hotels are already sold out). Accommodations can cost double in August. it will be VERY crowded . . .

So if you are planning this for August -- book your hotel rooms ASAP
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:13 AM

I don't think you've written this down on paper and you do not have the time you think you do. You said "9 days from start to finish."

Day 1 - leave home - fly to Scotland
Day 2 - arrive Scotland (1/2 day)
Day 3 - 5 - Scotland (total time 3.5 days)
Day 6 - take train to Paris
Day 7 - 8 - Paris (total time 2 days)
Day 9 - fly home
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 04:03 AM

If you continue to visit Paris, NO Versailles. AND I would strongly urge you to engage Micheal Osman for your days in Paris as your guide. He will be excellent to take you to the Louvre and guide you to what you want to see--since you seem to have "something" in mind for it. He will also maximize your time in seeing other sights/sites of Paris with a knowledgeable background for seeing them.
And surely, fly from Scotland to Paris.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 07:54 AM

Adrienne you are correct - I need to get this down on paper. We have 9 days wheels up to wheels down. We have decided to skip the train to save time and fly to Paris.

Janisj- I too misspelled Kirkcaldy and it was my husband's mother's middle name! Her father was from Kilconquhar so we want to fit both places in. I know it sounds crazy but we were hoping to do Elie/Kilconquhar,St. Andrews as a day trip and then a day or 2 in Edinburgh. We're aware that Tattoo will be going on and just have to take our chances with the crowd. Whatever we have left will be in Paris fitting in The Louvre and taking in the beauty of Paris.

Again thanks for your help - and to Big Russ - thanks for the lesson in Whisky! Truly appreciated. We used to tease my dearly departed mother-in-law for saying she was "Half Scotch" instead of Scots or Scottish. Of course she was usually full of scotch when she would say that
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 09:41 AM

Oh my goodness! I've stayed at Kilconquhar three times - for a full week each time. Love LOVE it there. There is so much to see/do I REALLY think you are cutting Fife too short.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Well my husband and I hope to make it back that way without kids someday and JUST spend time in Fife.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 11:51 AM

OK - since this seems primarily a 'kid trip' spend 3 nights in Edinburgh/ On the second day there either rent a car or hire a driver to do a mad dash around Fife. At minimum you'll want to see Kirckaldy, Kilconquhar (it is just a small village so unless you are staying there, a quick walk around is probably all you'll need) Crail (the prettiest of the fishing villages - be sure to walk around the harbor and have a coffee/tea/lunch in the Harbour Gallery http://www.crailharbourgallery.co.uk/gallery/index.cfm

Then on to St Andrews. You'll want at least 3 hours in St Andrews - more if the weather is nice.

And back to EDI to drop the car and take pubic transport back into the city . . or have the driver drop you ate your hotel.

3 nights will give you 1.5 days in Edinburgh and 1 day to tour Fife.

The next morning fly to CDG (you simply don't have time to faff about w/ trains) and spend 4 nights in Paris (or 5 if you can squeeze out 9 days)
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Janisj - you're a helpful dream! My husband's grandfather grew up in Kilconquhar and made golf clubs until he came to the US at age 18 and became a golf pro. 15 years ago we took his mother there so we could all see where her dad grew up and where her family was buried. We went to Kirkcaldy, St. Andrews and Elie and met my mother-in-law's penpal in Glenrothes. We did not see Crail that I remember so we'll add that to the trip. We toured Edinburgh by bus and also went to Holyrood, the Royal Mile and the Castle. We're pretty sure our kids want to see some of that and of course go to some pubs and whisky tasting. Would you suggest an apartment near the Royal mile or somewhere else? I think an apartment may meet our needs better than a hotel. We stayed in Leith the last time.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Yes - an apartment in the old town near the Royal Mile would be great. But your problem is you'll be there in August. Most flats will have either already been booked up or are renting for 2 or 3 times their July or September rates. And many will have a 7 night minimum in August. In your situation -- I'd stick to a hotel and book two rooms (there are few quads and most will have been booked s early as last August)

Staying in the Old town would be my preference since the majority of things you'll want to see are between Princes Street and Grassmarket/the Museum of Scotland.

What is your budget?

You can always rent an apartment in Paris - but finding one in Edinburgh in the middle of August - not so easy.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM

Tigermom, are you also Mommylew?
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 01:57 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes going in August to Edinburgh is going to pose a bit of a problem with accommodations, especially at this late date but take a look here http://www.greatbase.co.uk/. I've only stayed at the Royal Mile locations a number of times (2-4 people at a time) and the owner Katie is wonderful. She also has a few right off the Royal Mile which might also be ok for you if any are available.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Judy - >>Tigermom, are you also Mommylew?<<

I didn't notice that. I'm sooooo confused
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Yes. I have 2 different accounts as we changed our agenda and I thought it would be less confusing. I guess I made it more confusing! We started out with plans to do Paris and Barcelona then our kids decided they wanted to see where their ancestors are from. I won't be posting as mommylew any longer.
Old Mar 29th, 2014, 03:56 PM

That would not be confusing! If I changed screen names every time I thought about a trip and posed questions I would have had dozens of screen names by now.

Tell the editors to get rid of your old screen name. Why have it hang around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -