Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to combat rip-offs in Rome restaurants?

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read a post about restaurant rip-offs. This has me worried because I will not enjoy myself in Italy if I have to be on guard all the time, waiting for some jerk to take advantage of me. What is the best way to deal with an obvious overcharge? I know there is a cover-charge and a charge for a bread basket, but are there any other legitimate charges? Please help me allay my fears! Regards,

Kurt
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:42 PM

Based on another thread you posted, it seems like you're very apprehensive about traveling to Europe. I strongly suggest you "cool it" and stop worrying if someone is going to overchage you at a restaurant. Simply do as most people do here or there, study your bill and question any problems.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with the poster above, that it is helpful to start off with a positive attitude. When you go expecting trouble, you will likely find it. The "how can I keep from getting ripped off by the locals?" is just not a very good position for a visitor/tourist to take imo.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:07 PM

This has never been my experience.

1. What other charges could there be, other than for what one has ordered and, possibly, the unusual eventuality of a service charge?

2. For those who do not speak Italian, here is a small gesture of reassurance: Numbers are international.

3. Add up the bill and, if the total is correct but you see an unexpected additional item, ask.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:18 PM

The total service charges should be itemized on your bill. One thing is to be aware that the service charge is always included in Italy.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:23 PM

We've never had a problem. Try to relax and enjoy.

What's the worst that can happen? You pay $20 extra? Not so bad. If I get worried about something, I think of the worst that is likely to happen and usually decide that even if that happened, it wouldn't be so bad.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:31 PM

I returned from 10 days in Italy with 5 coworkers a couple of weeks ago.

We decided at the beginning of the trip that we would just eat, and split the bill 6 ways. Of course we looked over the bill before we paid, but in all the meals we ate out, not just in Rome, we never had a problem.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:32 PM

Yes, go with a calm attitude.

Be aware that they do write some of their numerals differently, such as the one which looks like a strange triangle.

Study some of the numerals before you leave.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the nice responses everyone. I really want to have a relaxed time, but I read about ripoffs too frequently on these types of message boards.... I am sorry for the bad attitude, but I feel exceptionally hostile when I am confronted with someone trying to dupe me. I won't worry about a couple of euros here and there, but 20 will be grounds for war. I hate to say it, but my trip hasn't even begun and I am not looking forward to it Thanks for all your relies,

Kurt
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:12 PM

Kurt, are you serious? Rome is fantastic, amazing, enchanting. But it's not perfect. Try to read more about artists, architects, the history of Rome, delicious food, and less about pickpockets, con artists, noise and traffic. That'll get you looking forward to your trip.

You're lucky to be going. Enjoy your trip!

And for the record, I've never been ripped off in Rome.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 04:19 PM

Why would you choose to give some jerk (overcharging you $20 or whatever) the power to ruin your trip?

Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Have been to Rome 9 times between business and pleasure and have only ever had one discrepancy in our restaurant bill - and that was in our favor.

Rome is not full of dishonest restauranteurs - although if you spend most of your time at the tourist trap places with menus in 17 languages plus pictures you are slightly more likely to run into people looking for the fast buck.

If you go with a negative attitude you will have a miserable time and spend the entire trip defensive, offensive, tired and grumpy. Just make up your mind that people are basically honest - just like here - that you'll have a good time - and go.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:12 PM

I don't think it's an unreasonable fear for a first-timer. I remember worrying before my first trip to Italy, because of all the stuff I'd read, that my train car would be gassed!

But Mango, I urge you to listen to everyone here, and just relax. At least you are aware about the cover charges. Other overcharging happens at home too, so in that event just deal with it the same way you would here. If you're unsure, and especially if you have a language barrier, don't be shy about asking the waiter about a charge, for example if he brings a plate of appetizers to your table without your ordering it. Otherwise just enjoy... and mangia!

Now, if someone can reassure me about my fear of getting ripped off when I go to Prague...
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Mango - I've been ripped of many times in Rome, but only because I ate at high priced tourist restuarants near the Vatican, where a soda can cost $7 USD!! Yes, I am serious!! Just study the menu BEFORE you sit down. If the prices seem OK, then just eat there & enjoy your meal. Of course, check over the bill. I was just stupid & gave into my starvation, but payed the price. Just find a decent place & eat. You'll be fine.

Nutella - where are you afraid of being ripped off in Prague (restaurant, taxi?)? I've never had problems there, but have had problems in Italy. Even though prices have risen in Praha, they are nowhere near the prices in other countries.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Leely,
Travelgirl,
NYTraveler,
Nutella,
Amp

Thank you for your kind and reassuring responses....I promise that the only ruins of the trip will be Ancient Roman ones! It is true that if you go with a bad attitude expecting bad things to happen they sometimes do. But like Nutella was saying, I do have the first time jitters that had jaded me until now. Again I really appreciate your kind responses everyone

Regards,

Kurt
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:43 PM

Kurt:

Have a GREAT trip and don't forget..there are actually people here who LIE in their posts and others who feel somehow inadequate if they aren't worrying about something.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 07:39 PM

Mango7,

I agree with the posters above. Try to relax and figure there will be a few experiences where you might pay more than you expected.

Here's how we handled it. In Florence, we made a mistake of eating immediately by the Uffizi, at a spot with one of those helpful boards in English. A full meal cost about $8. Add the soft drink, and it was $16 per meal. But they weren't dishonest, as we never asked the cost of a soft drink. So, we laughed about our expensive drinks. And after that, we ate a few blocks farther away from major attractions, generally at restaurants that don't post in English. Never had a problem. A lesson learned, and much better food, too.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:28 AM
ira

Hi Mango,

You are no more likely to be overcharged at a restaurant in Rome than in any other large city in the world.

I suggest that you stop worrying about this and concentrate on how much you should tip.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After getting a good money belt and a backpack with a zipper that faces my back, I then started worrying about:

getting a good map,
how to efficiently see all the sights,
finding interesting restaurants, finding the best coffee,
finding the happiest pubs/bars and breaking in my walking shoes.

As for transportation, I found using the metro the easiest. Just buy a few one-way tickets at the ticket machine to be used during that day. The buses were often full and the wait long. It was usually faster just walking directly to a metro station and moving around as thus.

In all these threads, have you ever seen anyone write: don't go to Rome!?

You won't.

It's too historical, breath-taking and spellbinding. Just don't put your wallet in any outside pockets and you'll be fine!
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 04:26 AM

Hi Amp,
Re: Prague, I was just making a lighthearted statement following my point that I had also been nervous about Italy before my first trip there.
While I have been reading tons of warnings about the taxis, restaurants, etc, I'm pretty comfortable due to my obsessive compulsive trip research so I think I know what to expect

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -