How to book ferries

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 06:42 PM
Rich

How to book ferries

I will be traveling to Greece in May and will be going to Athens - Mykonos - Santorini - Athens by ferry. I have already booked the hotels on each of the islands but do not have any idea on how I can book ferries (without the use of a travel agent). If anyone can supply me with any info I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Paulo

We went to Greece in high season (July) and wanted to make sure we could get 2 double upper deck outside cabins on a ferry from the Piraeus to Santorini. We did the reservations through a travel agent in Athens (as a matter of fact, he was kind of slow going about it and we only managed to get a lower deck quadruple instead).

If I were travelling in May, I wouldn't care to reserve/buy tickets in advance. This is still low season and I'd bet that no ferry will travel booked out. Also, it's by no means sure you'll manage to travel between Mykonos and Santorini. If an overnight is called for in Paros, I woulnd't be surprised. Why don't you just paly it by ear? It's pretty easy to reach Mykonos out from Rafina (or the Piraeus). There should be plenty of options (ferries, hydrofoils and catamarans). Once in Mykonos, you'll have a clear picture on what your options will be. If you manage to get to Paros, from there on it's a piece of cake (several daily options to Santorini and from there back to the Piraeus).

To get an idea on what your options may be once you reach Greece, refer to
http://www.gtp.gr/RoutesForm.asp

This site is continuously updating info regarding domestic ferry schedules and you should visit it regularly before you take off. I wouldn't bet my life on it, though.

Paulo

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:44 AM
April

I agree with Paulo to make arrangements when you get there. We had no problems getting ferries in September. You can get a schedule from the information booth at Syntagma Sq. in Athens.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:11 PM
rick

t

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 05:32 PM
scurry

Every town on every island we visited had little travel agencies on their main streets -- often times they were also visitor centers where you could get hotel/B&B reservations & change currency.

In may '98, we were always able to buy ferry tix & make reservations the day before we wanted to go to a different island. Often times we were able to choose between a slow, cheap car ferry or a faster, more expensive hydrofoil. note that all our trips this way were inter-island hops, not overnight Athens ferries.