How to arrange 16 days in Italy??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are traveling to Italy to spend our first anniversay together. We have a good amount of time to spend in Italy, but we are having a difficult time planning what to see what not to see, where to go and where not to go.

My wife has been to Rome, Florence and Venice twice, I've never been to Italy. Though she wants to go to each city, she really wants to spend time along the coast, Capri, , Amalfi, Positano, Sorrento and Portofino.

Originally we were going to do Rome (3 days) and Florence (3 days) and skip Venice so that we could spend more time along the coast, but then there's Siena and the Tuscan Countryside, Naples. And this is still without Venice which I am beginning to feel is a must see, though I've heard mixed reviews.

In any event, we're looking for some guidance, especially in terms of how many days to spend along the coast and whether we should make sure that I see Venice.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Personally, I think venice is worth seeing...but I think the REAL "issue' here is which one of you is willing to compromise on the itinerary?

Sounds like your wife wants to include the coast and you are the one who wants to do venice, and Tuscany, and Siena.

All of them are "worth it" in my opinion and even if every single person who replies to this says, "go to Venice" it will still be up to one of you to make that happen.

Who will that person be?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:39 AM

May I ask what time of year you'll be going and if you plan to rent a car or use the train?
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

We'll be going late May through early June. We planned to rent a car to go through the coast and the countryside, but not in the cities, probably use the train to get from Rome-Florence-Venice, if we go to Venice.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:42 AM

I may have missed it; but what time of year are you traveling?

We went to Italy this summer for the first time and wanted to see/do everything. But that is not possible. We did three main locations with day trips from each. Rome, Sorrento, and Cefalu.

Everybody here will say that you need to limit the number of cities and I agree, the worst part of our trip were the "big" travel days that had us changing hotels. We have since decided that Sorrento and Cefalu were our favorite spots and want to return to each and spend 7 to 10 days in each area to really get to know it. Rome was our least favorite city. We have decided that even though we spent weeks saying we did not like Rome after our trip and vowing never to return; that it was most likely due to us being tired at the end of a long trip and how different it was from the other two locations. So we have decided that we will also return to Rome as a solo trip for 7 days to really give the city a chance.

So, now that I have rambled and not answered your question; I guess I can only ask what are your possible travel dates and what are your interest.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

My wife is on the same page as I am, as far as I know, regarding our indecisiveness....since she's never been to the coast she doesn't know how many days to devote to going to these towns; and originally I didn't want anything to do with going to Venice and she did, but then I started reading about it and it became much more appealing.

Luckily we're pretty good at compromising and making decisions together, so far at least. So, the jist of my question was pertaining more to what are the "must see" places, more than who needs to compromise.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

We arrive in Rome May 25, and depart Rome June 10th.

As far as our interest, we were hoping to divide our vacation into two parts, the more active city days and the days along the coast as a bit more relaxing....but who knows if that is possible. We both like to eat good food, shop, site-see, and mostly explore what a town/city has to offer.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:03 AM

What if your wife chooses the best parts of the 3 cities she knows and would love to re-share with you. Start with Rome, go to Florence, spend the longest part of your trip in areas new to you both, then end up in Venice (and if poss. leave from there so you don't have to go back to Rome). I'm with you in spirit as you travel to my favorite country!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:08 AM

How about each of you starting with an eight-day itinerary and then putting them together and creating a workable plan.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:09 AM

As you can see, Italy is filled with places to visit! Everybody has their own opinions about what to see. Unlike the poster above, my DH and I absolutely loved Rome and are going back, for the third time, in March. However, we did not care for Florence. To each their own.

If your wife really wants to see the coast, perhaps she could limit it to the Amalfi area (Sorrento, Positano, Capri), pick one place to stay, and daytrip for three nights. I would skip Portofino, as that is north and away from most of the other areas you want to visit.

If it were me, I would probably follow this itinerary:

Fly into Rome; 4 nights
Travel down to Positano; 3 night
Travel to Florence; 3 nights
Rent car and base yourself in Tuscany or Umbria; 3 nights
Drop car, train to Venice; 3 nights
Fly home from Venice

If you could fly into Naples you would be that much closer to the Amalfi Coast area, but usually flights are more expensive.

Good luck!
Tracy

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Fennster, do you have 16 nights or 14 nights? My itinerary above was for 16 nights, but I just realized your message says days.

If its 14 nights, I would probably drop the 3 nights in the countryside, add an extra night to Florence (making it 4 nights) and pick one or two places to daytrip to. Siena, San Gimignano, Pisa, Lucca and Orvieto are all popular.

Tracy
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Hi Fennster,

As you have already realized, you can't do it all in just 16 days. You will return (probably more than once) to do the rest!

So, the question is, do you and your wife want to see the big three? That will mean she will be able to share her favorite things in each city with you - and you will both be familar with the same things after this trip, leaving future trips for new exploration.

Or, would you rather have an experience that is mostly new to both of you?

Venice is wonderful. So is the Amalfi Coast. Tuscany and Umbria are fabulous! I like to mix my time in cities/countryside. You get a better feel for the country.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

17 days and 16 nights for clarification....glad to see from all the posts that almost no one has a definitive answer, which makes me feel better, as how could I go wrong.

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Hi there
We did alot in 16 days. But it was a worldwind overview kind of vacation and probably not the way most folks do it. But it can be done. If you want to do what we did I would suggest leasing a car which than becomes your second home.
We started at Malpenza airport and left immediately for Genova for lunch, then stayed in Tuscany (San Gimignano) for three nights,on to Roma for two nights, and on to Positano for one night. Saw Pompeii the next day and then Basilicata region for a night and drove over to Le Marche for a night and up to Venice for two nights.
We even went to Switzerland for the weekend and then back to Milan to fly home. (Although we got bumped and went to London for the night!)
Now I am the first to admit that we are a bit crazy and it helped that my husband loves to drive! We had our three teens with us and I think it is safe to say we all had a blast.
So you can do more if you choose to do so...it is really up to the individuals going and their energy level.
Yes, I know we would have had more real time to savour each place if we could have stayed longer but it was still a great trip. The kids had a taste of many places and it has whetted their appetites for more.
Good luck in your planning. If you think you are staying somewhere too long and are bored there than move on. Nothing is written in stone.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:42 AM

I am not one to start giving out marital advice, as I have only been married two years, but I find that compromise is a useful tool.

I liked Tracy's itinerary above, I think it would be a shame for you to not experience the big three, but it would also be nice to throw in a couple new areas so that you and your wife may experience them together for the first time.

My DH and I leave in three weeks, and I am looking forward to introducing him to what I loved about Italy and then for us to experience the rest together for the first time.

Compromise, compromise, compromise, if she puts you first and you put her first, everyone wins!

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:12 AM

We had the same amount of time for our first trip to Italy and did it this way:
Fly into Milan - one night, p/u car, drive to Bellagio - one night.
Stayed on Lake Garda one night on way to Venice - Venice 3 nights, drove to Florence - 2 nights, 2 nights in Tuscany, then drove to Positano for 2 nights, ending in Rome for 3 (dropping the car off there) and flying home from Rome. It was a very doable trip and did not feel rushed at all.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM

I agree with most of the posters above... It's a lot ot see in your time frame, unless of course you like constantly running around on vacations.

I would plan 3 stops and make plans to return to Italy in the next few years to do the rest. Maybe northern Italy (Florence, Venice, and Cinque Terra or Milan) or the sourthern half (Rome, Amalfi coast, Capri, Sicily).

It's all worth seeing, Italy is amazing... but you wouldn't be doing yourself or the country justice if you quickly run through it.

One last thought... if you plan to proceed and do the whirlwind tour, I would suggest hiring a tour guide at each stop for a day. That way you can see all the sights in a day and then go back leisurely over the next day to see your favorites at a slower pace.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM

While it would be nice to spend some nights in a Tuscan hilltown, to cut down on hotel changes, I would do this:
3 nights Venice
5 nights Florence with 2 daytrips to smaller Tuscan towns
4 nights Rome
4 nights Amalfi Coast

(or 4 nights Florence and 5 nights Rome)

Old Jan 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM

fennster,

I will be arriving in Rome May 25th with my parents, in laws, niece, husband and daughter. We will be there 6 nights taking a day trip to Pompeii and maybe a day to Ostia Antica.(we are all, even my 8 yr old niece, history buffs)

We then are going to Florence for 5 nights with side trips to Pisa, Siena and San Gim. From there we spend 3 nights in Venice and fly home June 8th.

I am the only one of our party that has been to Italy. But I am sure no matter where you go it will be lovely and you will have a good time. I have to say I like the Fly into Naples and fly out of Venice idea. Good Luck