How scenic is this route by train???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be taking the train from Nice Ville to Milano and wonder if anyone here has also taken this route? I know, it's about 4 1/2 hrs. ride, but wondered if it's a scenic ride and if so, what side best captures the sceneries?

Thanks,

Jdc
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:40 AM

I have done Rome to Milano...Very scenic irrespective of sides.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:44 AM

The railway follows the coast from Nice to Genova then goes inland. I'd sit on the right-hand side to see the sea, but that's my personal preference.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:51 AM

Driving that route includes dozens of tunnels so I assume the train route does also. Yes, I would sit on the right, but only half the route is on the water.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM

First, last time I took this it was dark all the way.

Even in daylight (my previous experience), the tunnels along the coast mean there's not that much to see on the Nice-Genoa bit. Most of Genoa-Milan is downright hohum (as, IMHO, is most of Milan-Rome, which just goes to show it takes all sorts)

BUT the windows on both sides are pretty big - and personally I prefer the inland view on the coastal bit anyway: sea's just sea, after all and the Mediterranean hasn't even got waves. IN either case, this isn't a plane or some of the Amtraks I've been on: the view's pretty much the same wherever you sit.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM

I've taken it many times and from Nice to the Italian border it is dramatically scenic - often slicing right along an isolated pristine signature Mediterranean Coast of cypress trees clinging to boulders all framed by a azure-hued water. In warm weather you ma well see skinny dippers below (perhaps that's why Geoff recommends the right side going east - and yes be sure to sit on the right side to see anything.

After entering Italy the train putzes thru a string of coastal resorts - at a snail's pace due to old congested tracks, etc. But it does roughly still parallel the sea to Genoa.

Be sure to nab very discounted advance fares on these Riviera Trains, which have a global pricing, meaning airline type pricing with some seats costing a pittance of others, depending on conditions, age, certain trains, etc. www.voyages-sncf.com is the site to scour for these or even in the U.S. RailEurope routinely has $25 Nice-Milano fares when i've looked. (I always recommend calling Byron at www.budgeteuropetravel.com for any RailEurope product because of competence and being able to talk to someone - esp since Raileurope.com site does not always show cheapest tickets available IME. To talk to someone at RailEurope when ordering means you pay 10% more for that privilege and often the person knows little. So check www.voyages-sncf.com and RailEurope as well IMO. Just show up you may pay 3 times as much or so
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:30 AM

i just did this trip and the part to Genoa is indeed nicer than the rest, besides the sea views there is some nice architectural views inland (ye also a lot of tunnels).

I may have had bad luck, but the train Nice to Milan was 70 minutes late, we kept losing 10 minutes between each stop. The return trip was also very late, at least 2 hours but I can't say for sure as I never made it as far as Nice, I gave up in Ventimiglia and had my partner come pick me up there.

Have a fun trip.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your comments.

PalenQ, thank you for the additional information, particularly about purchasing my ticket inadvance as I thought that I could wait until I got to Nice to purchase my ticket. I will look into purchasing my ticket today since I leave in a 1 1/2 weeks.

Jdc
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 12:56 PM

Let me clarify myself - you will most certainly be able to buy a ticket in Nice to Milan - but at full price which can be much more than buying in advance. That said with only 1 1/2 weeks left perhaps the cheaper tickets are sold out. Check www.voyages-sncf.com to see if any are left - that site can be a real frustrating site to actually book however as many Fodorites have complained. But if price is not a factor just buy the ticket in Nice a few days ahead of time - reservations are required on these 'Riviera' trains.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Original Poster

PalenQ, I realized I could have purchased my ticket when I got to Nice, but I did call Byron and he was able to get me a ticket for $29.00 2nd class which normally go for $59.00. So all in all I think that was a pretty good price and now I will have my ticket when I arrive with one less thing to worry about.

Thanks again for the info.

jdc

Old Sep 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM

$29 Nice-Milan proves that you should always check both sources - here and there. The old scuttlebut that 'RailEurope' always charges twice as much as in Europe is simply not true though typically on most tickets it does charge more - yet they are now showing some of the deep discounts previously only available online thru French Rail.