Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Books/movies to get psyched for Budapest and Krakow trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:25 AM
CCF
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone suggest some novels/movies to get us ready for our trip to Budapest and Krakow? We are pouring over the guide books & web sites but have found that stories really help the imagination. We will revisit Schindlers List, any others to recommend? Thanks for all the help everyone.
Cathie
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Not sure how many depressing Holocaust-related books you'll be able to handle, but Fateless (about a 14-year old Hungarian Jew imprisoned in Auschwitz and Buchenwald) is amazing:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...235797-8844047
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:51 AM

Prague, by Arthur Phillips, is actually about Budapest. It's about the expatriate community ca. 1992.

Here's another Holocaust-related book that was very interesting:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...=9780452280717
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Michener's Bridge At Andau gives an incredible true account of the Hungarian uprising against the Soviets. You will see many of the sites mentioned. From the publisher:
From the Publisher

The Bridge at Andau by James Michener tells the story of the Soviet suppression of Hungary in November 1956. The bridge at Andau was an escape route for Hungarian refugees fleeing to Austria. Michener was on the Austrian side of the border watching these young (average age was 23, including many children), well educated (from one university 500 students, 32 professors, and their families fled), and talented (including musicians, athletes, writers, engineers and other professionals) people come through swamps and guards to reach non-communist Austria. The Austrian people were exemplary in their welcome of the Hungarian refugees.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 11:14 AM

I would recommend Budapest 1900: A Historical Portrait of a City and Its Culture by John Lukacs.

I read it before my first visit, but it made much more sense when I reread it on my return.

Its premise is that Budapest in 1900 was as lively and culturally fertile as Vienna -- and then it started going wrong .... a freally interesting book.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM

"The Year of the Quiet Sun" is a wonderful Polish film set in the post-WWII era. I think it was filmed in the late 70's or early 80's. I dont know if it was filmed in Krakow, and it probably doesn't have much to do with present-day Poland, but it sheds some light on the history there. And it's just a really great film.