How nice is Nice?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Lisa

How nice is Nice?

I've heard Nice is a great place for nightlife/sights. Can anyone offer their advice? Looking to go in December 03 for a week? Too Long? Bad time of year? Thanks!!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Andrea

We were in Nice in December 2 years ago (as part of a longer trip).

I don't think it's a great time to go; I've finally learned after several trips to Europe that I really prefer to see cities like this when they are at their best (in nicer weather - spring or fall).

If the time of year is fixed, personally, I'd recommend either going somewhere where it will be warm with nice weather, or going someplace that is known to have a nice winter atmosphere. I've been to Switzerland and Russia, both of which I would recommend at that time of year (although I was in Russia in October - December might be too cold for you), but would personally consider Austria and Prague, both of which I've heard have a nice atmosphere in winter.

Alternatively, you could choose someplace that will still be warm with nice weather - but I can't make a recommendation personally.

I really do advise against Nice in the winter, though. The weather was nice for us for that time of year (not too cold, no rain), but it was a bit grey. I think it's really at its best in the sunny, warm weather.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Pat

I was in Nice the month of March a couple of years back. It was rather cool and there was some rain and even a lot of wind at times. People there said that it had been beautiful until March. I find March one of the most fickle months. I would not hesitate to go to Nice in the winter. Summers are packed with beach people, and it can be quite hot. There are good museums in Nice and it is easy to take the local train up and down the Riviera where you will find interesting small towns and lots of museums...Picasso museum in Antibes, for example. Nice is a great base from which to see the area from Menton to Marseilles.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 06:33 AM
John G

I found Nice to be rather pedestrian. It is a good city to use as a base to explore the small towns of Provence or Monte Carlo, but there is nothing exceptional about Nice. Even the beach at the Baie de Ange (in front of the Promenade de Anglais)is made up of pebbles and the water is an ugly brown colour. There are, however, some nice restaurants back in the "old town." You can also shop at Louis Vuitton and Hermes. But, shopping in Monte Carlo is much better. Nice was glamorous 30 years ago, but no more.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Wendy

I love Nice, and have gone there quite a lot, but only in the summer when it comes alive. I would not recommend going there purposely in winter if you have other choices. Weather can be extreme with lots of wind and/or rain. Nice is an excellent base from which to tour other charming towns of the Riveria, esp. St Paul de Vence and Eze. It has an excellent old town with a gorgeous flower market, seafood restaurants, pastry shops, and galleries. One of my all-time favorite cites because it seems to appeal to people from all walks of life, and never seems to go to sleep. There's entertainment and great people watching along the promenade until the early morning hours. Have a wonderful time if you go!

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Philip

It will not be beach weather in December as the average tempature is about 47F.

We stayed in Cannes this past September and the weather was fantastic. It was also significantly less crowded than it will be in August. (From what I understand, Parisians swarm en masse into the South in August.)

That isn't a bad time to go as the weather is nice and the rates begin to drop from the high season. Can't help on the nightlife question as we were travelling with a toddler.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Leigh

How is the weather in Nice in mid to late April?