Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time to change airlines at Gatwick?

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:35 PM
newt

Whats the minimum amount of time we should allow to change airline in Gatwick? We'd be arriving on Virgin at 7 am and departing on British Air at 8. Is this enough time?
thanks, Newt

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Randy Malpaso

Maybe, maybe not. If you arrive on time and leave from the same terminal then it's possible. I doubt it, though.

ps there is no such thing as british air -and never has been.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:57 PM
fiona

We had an hour between flights- BA arranged the flights and I wondered if they'd given us enough time. The inevitable happened and we were late arriving in Gatwick. We made it- but only by running all the way , arriving hot and sticky, and only because the onward flight was also delayed. BTW the first flight was only 15 minutes late.Never again! It also happened before Sept 11th so I would have thought now that more time would be needed anyway. My advice-leave at least 2hours between flights but check with BA to be on the safe side.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:04 AM
elaine

no way
Especially if you are flying in from another country and have to go through Customs, as well as another security line,not to mention changing terminals if you have to

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 07:11 AM
janis

There are 2 terminals at LGW. If both flights are at the same terminal, your inbound flight is on time, your bags are checked through, and you stay airside, you would not have to go through immigration/security since you are in transit. But 60 mins is still probably a VERY close call.

If you have to retrieve and re-check your bags or if you have to go to the other terminal, there is no way you would make it.

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 11:30 AM
Doug Weller

I wouldn't want to risk it. Even if your bags are being checked through, which probably isn't the case.

Doug