Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time to allocate for these London sights?

Old Oct 1st, 2008, 02:50 PM
yk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get a vague idea of how much time I'd need for the following places. I know it can differ from person to person, but I'm kind of looking for a "concensus" so to speak.

FYI, I consider myself a casual tourist interested in lots of things, but not some art historian or garderner who will spend hours looking at a painting or a plant.

Here's the list:

Leighton House (1 hr?)
Chelsea Physic Garden (1.5 hrs?)
Borough Market - just browsing and eating breakfast (1-1.5 hrs?)
Sutton House (1 hr?)
William Morris Gallery (1 hr?)
Eltham Palace (2 hrs?)
Old Operating Theatre Museum (???)
Hunterian Museum (1 hr?)
Lincoln's Inn Fields & Chapel (not sure how much to see there, 1/2 hr?)
Temple Church
Old Oct 1st, 2008, 03:09 PM

We spent about 1 1/2 hrs in Leighton House (not including the garden, which was closed when we came out).
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:34 AM
yk
Original Poster

ttt
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

I am sure you know but Temple Church has a recital at 1:15 each Wednesday.

I found an hour about right for Borough Market - and that included some time at Neal's Dairy.
Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

Old Operating Theater - no more than an hour, IMO.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 01:48 AM

Leighton House (1 hr?)>>>

Maybe a bit longer - especially if the weather is good and you can go in the garden. It's also linked to another house nearby - so you could spend quite a while in both

Chelsea Physic Garden (1.5 hrs?)>>

It's a garden. It would take me 5 minutes.

Borough Market - just browsing and eating breakfast (1-1.5 hrs?)>>>>

Borough market is just that - a market. It doesn't have places to sit down and eat - but there are restaurants, cafes and pubs nearby. One and a half hours is fine.

Sutton House (1 hr?)
William Morris Gallery (1 hr?)
Eltham Palace (2 hrs?)
Old Operating Theatre Museum (???)
Hunterian Museum (1 hr?)>>>

All about right

Lincoln's Inn Fields & Chapel (not sure how much to see there, 1/2 hr?)>>

Not much, and I'm at a loss as to why you would want to go to Lincoln's Inn if you're also going to the Temple as they are basically the same.

Temple Church>>>>>

It's a small church with not much in it. It is interesting if you know the history - but don't think it's like St Paul's. Half an hour would more than cover it. Wander around the Temple and get lunch in one of the local pubs (they're pretty much all good)
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 07:05 AM
yk
Original Poster

<i>I'm at a loss as to why you would want to go to Lincoln's Inn if you're also going to the Temple as they are basically the same.</i>

I'm at a loss too because I have no idea of what's there to see. I guess they're just a bunch of old buildings. Anyway, I found out that there will be a lunchtime organ recital at the Lincoln's Inn Chapel the day I'm visiting, which is a nice bonus.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM

You might like to take the London Walk called Legal and Illegal London to cover the Lincoln's Inn area. I find the walks very informative.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM

Hi yk - when will you be in London? We'll be there next week (Oct. 6-10), from Mon. to Fri. a.m.
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
yk
Original Poster

Not for another 4 weeks, sadly. I hope you'll post a trip report when you get back! Just today, I found your London TR from 2 years ago!
Old Oct 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM

When you visit the Inns of Court, don't miss Middle Temple Hall--it's a fine Elizebethan building.

http://www.middletemple.org.uk/Histo...mple_Hall.html
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 01:48 AM

Be warned re Temple Church. Since the Bloody Da Vinci Code bollocks it's very firmly on the tourist trail for gullible muppets (It was the templars church - hence &quot;temple&quot
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Hi yk, sorry to butt in on your thread like this but I have a related question for you...

How much time do you think I should budget for the Queen's Gallery and the Flemish Painters exhibition? I'm thinking about 2- 2.5 hours, does that sound right?
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
yk
Original Poster

Apres_Londee-

I think 2-2.5hrs is plenty of time, IMO. We were at the Bruegel show for 1 hour, but granted, we weren't that into the later paintings (Rubens et al), and we didn't get an audioguide.

The Queen's gallery isn't that big, so I don't know how much &quot;permanent collection&quot; will be shown since this exhibition will likely take up many rooms. Anyway, I think 2 hrs should definitely be enough. Don't forget to watch the film about the fire and restoration at Windsor.

Did you buy your ticket for the Queen's Gallery already? The last 2 times I was there, both were very crowded.

Would you mind telling me what other places you're planning to visit on this trip?
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:19 PM

Hi yk, I haven't got my ticket for the Queen's Gallery yet but will buy it this week before I go.

Here's my list for this trip (8 nights in London):

-Highgate Cemetery Tour

-Sutton House (and Murder Mile!)

-Isle of Dogs/Museum in Docklands/Greenwich Foot Tunnel

-National Gallery (Renaissance Faces exhibit)~got my ticket

-Queen's Gallery (Flemish Painters)

-Royal Academy of Arts (exhibit: &quot;Mir&oacute;, Calder, Giacometti, Braque: Aim&eacute; Maeght and His Artists&quot~need to buy tickets

-Tate Modern (might skip the Rothko exhibit and go in December)

-British Library

-Hunterian Museum

-I've got an intinerary for an independent walk in the City that starts at Tower Hill and ends at St Paul's. It includes a lot of little churches like St Olave's, Leadenhall Market, the Temple of Mithras, the Museum of London and St Bart's the Great.

-I'd like to fit in Bunhill Fields

-My friend's great-grandfather was a Victorian era sculpture who has pieces all over the city, and I'd like to try and see a few (at the Holy Trinity Church, the Horse Guards Parade, and the Institute for Chartered Accountants Building in the City) He has some pieces at the Tate but I don't think they're on view at the moment (I'm probably skipping the Tate and the Francis Bacon exhibit)

-I'm a big fan of Banksy the graffiti artist so I'm planning to do a bit of Banksy hunting. There's a google map with most Banksy locations

-and going to the opera one night~ Handel's Partenope at the Coliseum on Thursday night
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:22 PM
yk
Original Poster

Sounds like a great itinerary!

I thought about going to the National Gallery one, but decide against it. They have the van Eyck's wife portrait in the exhibition, which normally resides at the Groeningemuseum in Bruges. I'm also skipping the Royal Academy show, but I'm definitely going to see the Rothko. All these exhibition show tickets add up quickly.

Would love to hear what you think of the Hunterian Museum also when you return.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Have you tought about visiting the National Portrait Gallery? It's an often-overlooked gem.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:00 PM
yk
Original Poster

Underhill - Yes, I've been to the Portrait Gallery before, but I also am planning for a quick revisit this time.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt;All these exhibition show tickets add up quickly&lt;&lt;&lt;

Do they ever! And there are so many good exhibitions this fall, it's difficult to choose. There's also the Hadrian exhibit at the BM which is tempting.

I really hope I can make the Hunterian Museum. I didn't like science in high school and have miserable memories of struggling through my biology classes (and psych 101 in first year university- what a nightmare! having to draw all those diagrams of the ear, and the eye, and rods and cones and all that) but in the last couple of years I've developed a real interest in human anatomy and biochemistry and have sort of surprised myself with this desire to go the Hunterian and examine all those bones and pickled bits.

It should make a for a good change from the usual art and history stuff, at least.

&gt;&gt;&gt;Have you tought about visiting the National Portrait Gallery?&lt;&lt;&lt;

Yep, and it's something I'd love to see, especially the Tudor era portraits. It's so difficult to fit everything in! I tend to spend a long time in galleries and museums, so I don't think I'd do the Portrait Gallery justice if I went after the National Gallery. I'm going to be in London again for a few days before x-mas, maybe I'll make the Rothko exhibit and the Portrait Gallery my two must sees.
Old Oct 5th, 2008, 06:16 PM
yk
Original Poster

Someone I know saw the Hadrian exhibit and was underwhelmed, so I won't even bother.

You'll be in London again in December? I'm so jealous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -