How much time needed to switch flights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! We're taking advantage of the reasonable airfare from EWR to Cologne, and upon arrival we'd like to fly onto another German city using a budget airline. How much time do we need between flights so that we're not rushed but also not spending the day at the airport waiting?

So if my flight arrives in Cologne at 8:30am, can I make a flight out on another airline at 10:30am?

Thank you for your help!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Hi jrossi,

It'll probably be quicker just to take the train to your next destination since you're staying within Germany. For instance, the train trip to Munich takes 4h30 or to Berlin takes 4h20; I don't think a flight would get you in town any sooner than that.

I've never used the Koeln airport, but apparently there is an S-bahn connection to the main station. Here's the info: http://www.koeln-bonn-airport.de/mai...mp;anchor=bahn

s
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM

It would help if you stated what city you want to go to. Koln to Munich is almost 5 hours, so it might be better to fly.

The train is available from the Koln airport. Try
http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

which is the official German rail web site, in English. If you want to go from the airport by train, make sure you put in Koln Airport. Pretty handy site.
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. We'd like to go from Cologne to Munich on Air Berlin (22 Euros).

Going from Cologne to Salzburg would have been even better, but I couldn't find any cheap flights.

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM

Cologne seemed like one of the most efficient airports I've ever met, but I know the Continental flights are not always on time. I think it's highly likely, although not certain, you'd be able to make a flight at 10:30. If everything goes the way it did when we arrived, that would be no problem. But what if the plane is late and things are slow and you miss your flight? I think I'd prefer at least 4 hours for peace of mind. Or consider taking a night-time flight and going in to tour Cologne for the day (using the luggage storage).
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM

The problem with this plan is ... if your CO flight does run late and you miss your budget airline's flight, you've lost whatever you spent on that ticket. What are the savings of flying to Cologne vs. flying directly to your final destination? And do the dollar savings compensate you for the stress you are already beginning to experience?
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! Very good points. There are six of us and Continental had a fare special for its new direct flight to Cologne from Newark... so we saved about $2400 going to Cologne vs. going directly to Munich.

Four hours seems manageable.

Thank you!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
ira

Hi J,

>if my flight arrives in Cologne at 8:30am, can I make a flight out on another airline at 10:30am? <

Maybe.

Most airlines want you to be checked in 0:30 hr before flight time, wo you only have 1:30 hr.

If there are delays getting to the gate or getting your luggage, you could be in trouble.

When's the next flight?