Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much time is too much time to visit Holland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 09:45 PM
Nal

Hi, <BR> <BR>I am planning a trip to the Netherlands for next month. I am wondering how much time I would need to see everything Amsterdam and the Hague has to offer. Since its such a compact country, I am worried that two weeks is too long and am torn between a week to a week and a half. How much time is recommended by others who have been there?

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 09:51 PM
T.Paul

Great question!..I will be in Amsterdam for approximately 8 days. I'm positively sure I will be able to keep myself busy for at least 5. Thought about maybe venturing up north to the coast later. Have fun .

Old Jul 21st, 2001, 10:13 PM
elvira

Other than Tortilla Flat, AZ, I don't know one city that runs out of stuff to see in a week. <BR> <BR>That being said, with two weeks in Holland, I would definitely get outside the cities for a couple of days to see the Dutch countryside and towns: Kroller-Mueller Museum in Otterlo; Maastricht; Rotterdam...a bicycle ride for a day or two...

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 04:35 PM
scurry

<BR>We really liked Maastricht for a day or two. Breda was nice too, but just as a day trip/stop-over. <BR> <BR>The train system makes it very easy to travel around the country and do day-trips. I would think that after 3-4 full days in Amsterdam you'd be ready to see the countryside. You could also easily venture into Belgium if you wanted to.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 04:55 PM
m.panozzo

We were in the Netherlands the last week of April. In addition to visiting the usual tourist places, we rented a car for the day and drove into North Holland. From what I've read, it doesn't see many American tourists but it's worth the drive if you have time. <BR> It is a very rural area with lots of windmills. There is a great working windmill museum in Schermerland. We continued north to the Barrier Dam. We drove about halfway across, where there is a visitor center and gift shop. It's a great engineering feat. <BR> Have a great trip and be sure to try one of the Rijsttafel restaurants in Amsterdam. (our favorite was Sama Sebo). <BR>

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 06:22 PM
Doug

I can't tell you how long to stay but I can encourage you to visit Njimegen when you are there. It is a city that the Americans accidentaly bombed during WWII, thinking they were bombing a city in Germany. Holland wanted to preserve everything it could of the original city. So - anyone wanting to build where a partial building stood, was required to use what was there. <BR> <BR>This make for an interesting combination of old and new architecture.

Old Jul 22nd, 2001, 08:47 PM
Diane

I was there for a week and never ran out of things to do. There are wonderful museums, a great people-watching park, interesting streets to walk, and terrific day trips out of the city.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:11 AM
justtrying

We spent approx. 4 days in the Netherlands last year, and 3 more days Belgium. It was our 2nd trip to the Netherlands. For a first trip I would opine that a week would suffice. Obviously, you could stay longer or for a shorter period. A couple comments. Amsterdam deserves 2-3 days. We were not impressed by the Hague. We prefered Delft and Haarlem to the Hague. In short, see Amsterdam, but there are plenty of other places to see.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:24 AM
xxx

Any time!

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 11:49 AM
Annette

I was in Amsterdam 6 days last year (plenty to do) and am visiting The Netherlands for 10 days in September - 7 on a bicycle pedalling through Zuid Holland, 2 based in Amsterdam, maybe taking day trips to other places I haven't seen. With the summer weather you might consider bike rental for a couple days or more, especially if you want to give the whole two weeks to The Netherlands. If I had any more time at all I would head straight for Belgium, but then that's just me. It might depend on your overall "travel goals": how often you plan on returning to Northern Europe, what you want to see.