COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

How Many Visits to Paris?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:18 AM
Ted

How Many Visits to Paris?

I miss Paris, and I've only been there twice, wondering is this more than average. On US board they did a similar survey for Los Vegas and Manhattan, it produced interesting answers.
I have a reason. Some posters try to give the impression theyre real experts, and were there lots. I'm curious, if you don't mind telling.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:43 AM
ron

First visited in September 1966 and didn’t much like the place. Second visited last week and still don’t much like it. Will consider giving it a third shot 35 or so years from now.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Mike

Spent a week in Feb. 1968 and didn't return until March 2000 and January 2002. We love it.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Kay

The first time I went in 1996 and I had had it after 4 days. Returned in 1999 because I am an art lover ; liked it better. Returned in 2001 and stayed for 9 days and got to explore it and look at more art and fell in love with the place. I am returning next May for a month. Its style, architecture, charm and culture far outweigh the less positive aspects of any large city.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:05 AM
amy

Seven times in four years. Hoping to make an eighth this summer. FYI, we usually visit off-season, frequently using E-Savers.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Jen

Been to Paris 4 times (my husband has been 5 or 6?).

1 week in May, 1996
1 week in Sept, 1999
5 days in May, 2001
5 days in Dec, 2001
5 days in Nov, 2002??

Love it each and every time - we explore different neighborhoods, museums, etc in more depth each time b/c we don't feel like we're running around trying to see everything. Christmas shopping in Paris this past Dec was wonderful.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Janice

10 times in less than 4 years. I'm trying to visit every 3 months now. Have reached the point where I buy all of my shoes, nail polish, cosmetics, scarves and jewelry there. But I don't really think of retiring there - I'm more tempted by Italy for retirement...

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Uncle Sam

Three times, "91", "95" and "99" and the last time we stayed for 10 days and loved it!

US

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:09 AM
kate

We go to Paris every year, sometimes twice a year for a long time now. We usually try to time it so we can be there on our anniversary.
Although one year I got a double whammy! we went on my birthday AND my anniversary

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Ted

Had to pop in and say I am impressed. you guys really do go a lot and no wonder you know your stuff. I think this place has pretty good credibility.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Louis

More than a dozen times over the 1976-2001 period.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Julie

Like so many others waited a long time after a first unfortunate trip and now go every chance I get. First time in 1973, then not until 1986, then 1987 and every year or every other year pretty much since then. I think a total of 12 times now. Hope to go again next year.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Capo

Sep. '87: 3 days (Hotel Castex, before it was remodeled)

May '94: 4 days (Hotel Royal Phare)

Nov. '94: 4 days (Hotel Deux Continents. Favorite visit. Over Thanksgiving weekend. We stayed in a hotel on Rue Jacob with a balcony, met up with a Parisian we'd met in Aix the previous May, and the weather was unseasonably warm.)

Feb. '96: 5 days (Grand Hotel St. Michel. Met up with two friends of mine after first spending five days in Nice. Least favorite visit due to cold and rainy weather.)

Oct. '98: 5 days (Hotel du Nesle & Hotel Petit Trianon)

Sep. '99: 6 days (Hotel Rive Gauche & Hotel du Lys)

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Ted

Me again. just curious, how many are going to Paris in '02, this year? Some said you go every year, did you go yet, if not, which month will you? I'm talking to my partner about a trip back, not much impresses him except travel. We're working on a schedule, just thought it would be interesting to know when others are going. He's worried about doing it this year. Give me some ammunition. This is not a troll!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:43 AM
david

3 nights May 2001
5 nights June 2001
4 nights May 2002

Going to try to go back for my birthday again at end of April 2003. If you couldn't tell I had a great time.

This past trip I "perfected" my idea of a great French vacation: 4 nights away from Paris, 4 nights in Paris. This way I get to be out of Paris and enjoy cheaper lodging, wine & food and I get to practice my lousy French with people who are usually more receptive to it. Yet I still get the museums, shopping and people watching in Paris.

Your partner's worried about traveling Ted? I'm assuming you're American. I'm American too. Seems to me with all our recent government warnings it might be safer to be out of the country for awhile. Or I'm grasping at any excuse to go.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:52 AM
ted

we're both American, and yes, he is very concerned about travelling anywhere this year, especially overseas. I am too but I keep it to myself. I agree with your sentiment about where its safer, I tell him that. We'll see what he says about whats posted.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Jen

Ted - Paris in September is great...try heading away then.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:07 PM
carol

Twice, in '88 and '92. I liked it, found it beautiful but expensive. I have no desire to rush back. I much prefer Rome or Istanbul. It depends on what you go for. I am not a shopper. If I was, I think I might be more interested in Paris.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:13 PM
elvira

2-3 times a year for the past several years, usually for a week or less, but did spend a 5-week stint in 2000 and a 3-week stint in 2001. So far this year it's been two trips (one week in February, and a long weekend at the end of May), and a third for another 4-5 weeks this fall.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:27 PM
carmenr

Lived in Paris for entire Junior year in College in late sixties. Loved the city but hated the natives. Went back last month, 33 years later for a week and fell in love with it. Can't wait to return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO