Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How many days Istanbul and how many Kusadasi?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only have 7 days after 12 days in Greece. Will be entering from Samos and then have 7 nights before a late afternoon departure from Istanbul.Thanks in advance. Also would love tips on lodging for 2 adults and 2 children ages 12 and 15 for Kusadasi and Istanbul.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM

I've only been to Kusadasi for a few hours on a shore excursion while cruising, but it didn't seem like there was all that much to see and do there. Nearby Ephesus is a must, but only warrants part of a day while downtown Kusadasi might offer a half day of stuff to see and do. The nearby beach resorts and waterparks could be a lot of fun for the kids. I'd say 2-3 days in the area will be quite sufficient. Kusadasi is rather modern and seems to be catering to European retirees and timeshare owners. Downtown businesses live off the cruise ship tourists' dollars. I found Kusadasi kind of a Western enclave in the middle of the Middle East.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:26 PM

We just came back from Turkey (with kids 13, 15), so let me see what I can do to help.

Kusadasi
We stayed 2 nights in Kusadasi. We stayed at the Kismet Hotel and it was great. We flew into Izmir and rented a car and arrived in Kusadasi about 2 pm. Settled into the hotel and had lunch there (we were starving). Then we walked into the main part of town and had a light snack later on before heading back to the hotel.

The next day we did a VERY leisurely 4 hour tour of Ephesus (took our time, toured the terraced houses). We did not hire a guide, but it was my 2nd trip there so I felt pretty comfortable just referring to the book I had. Then we went back to Kusadasi for lunch. Just hung around the hotel in the afternoon and then had dinner at the fish restaurant next door to the hotel (the one by the James Dean bar). Best meal we had the whole trip.

The next day we checked out of the hotel and headed to Seljuk for a tour of the Ephesus Museum (best to see AFTER touring Ephesus) and a visit to St. John's Basillica. Then we went on to Bodrum.

There is a castle/fort in Kusadasi which I assume you can visit. We didn't do that since we were heading to Bodrum and visiting the castle there.

From Kusadasi, you can also do a daytrip to Pamukule (the white travertine deposits are so cool) and Aphrodesius (another beautiful ancient site). I think any of the travel offices in town can arrange this for you. Keep in mind - this would be a full day trip.

So, I think Zues's recommendation of 2-3 days is right on.

Istanbul
Then, I would spend the rest of your time in Istanbul. There is plenty to do. On this trip, we just stayed one night and we stayed at the Hilton. The location is fine for going to the restaurants in Taksim and for visiting Dolmobahce Palace, but we spent a lot of time in traffic getting over the Grand Bazaar (near to most of the other sights).

The last 2 times we were there, we stayed at the President, which is a 4* (I think) Best Western hotel. It's not fancy, but it is quite acceptable and it is only 3 blocks from the Grand Bazaar and about 5 or 6 blocks from a large restaurant area (with lots of fresh fish).

Note - with all our hotels, we book 2 rooms, one for us and one for the kids.
Old Apr 8th, 2007, 07:57 PM

i agree totally with the above...i also flew to ismiz and rented a car....driving is very easy--almost deserted really...i have done it twice...

2-3 days max around that area and the rest in istambul
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM

From Samos you can take ferry to Kusadasi. Kismet is a nice hotel with great location. As I dont know when you are planning this trip, I guess summer time, if you are not visiting beaches etc. here is my suggestion,

Arrive Kusadasi earlier in the day, relax and explore the center of Kusadasi even swim at your hotel. Next morning either rent a car or arrange a guide to pick you up from the hotel to the the tour of Ephesus, Virgin Mary and other interesting sites nearby including Selcuk Museum ( do not skip this and preferably before the Ephesus)

Stay overnight.

You have 5 more days, so you can either drive to Pamukkale for a day excursion or to more south towards Bodrum to visit some great sites on the way. You can either continue to Bodrum or return to Kusadasi.
There are frequent flight from Izmir airport which is 1 hour drive from Kusadasi.....Return to Istanbul for 3 days.

If you skip Pamukkale, there are direct flights from Izmir to Cappadocia.
That means you could visit Cappadocia for 2 days and fly to Istanbul for the reminder of your stay.

All depens on what you would like to do. Ephesus beach and Istanbul or Ephesus more culture and side seeing...

Happy Travelling,

Murat
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 01:50 AM

I too agree that 3 days is quite sufficient. I was there 3 days and the first we got oriented, did a little shopping (the prices of gold are OBSCENELY cheap) and bought a Turkish rug in silk which I absolutely LOVE! That evening we explored the castle and watched the sunset while drinking a beer at the cafe there. The 2nd day we spent at one of the beaches.,very quite and relaxing. we didnt go to a water park, but with the kids you might want to. There are many to choose from. The third day we went to Ephesus and the virgin Mary's house which is easliy done in 2 hours once you are there and then on to the Palantine pools and Hieropolis. Since you are heading back to Istanbul, you might want to forego the beach to save time as I was heading on to Konja and not back the other way, but I would definately see the pools (take water shoes).The beaches were not anything spectacular, hust made for a nice relaxing day.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 06:16 AM

I'm planning a similar trip to July, and based on the research I did ( lots of it on Turkeytravelplanner.com, which I highly recommend!) we're only staying one night in Kusadisi, just long enough to spend part of the day in Ephesus, the other in town.

For GCRxx3- I'd love to hear about Bodrum. We're spending 5 days there in July. Would love to know what you thought of it,where you stayed, ate, etc. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Weadles - Bodrum is a lovely little town, but I'm not sure about 5 days.

When I was there 2 years ago, I stayed at the Marina Vista hotel which is on the street along the Marina. But the hotel is undergoing renovation (hoping to be open soon), so this year we stayed at the Antique Theater Hotel. It's located across the main road from the Antique Theatre (duh!) and about a 8-10 minute walk (downhill) to the marina. We usually took a taxi back. The hotel was fine and the view was lovely, (beds were a bit hard) but if you want to stay in town, I think the Marina Vista would be preferable.

The 2 times I've been there, it's been JUST before the tourist season really starts, so many shops were closed and the castle didn't have all the cafe areas open. The castle is pretty neat and you get some great views of the city. Allow a couple of hours, especially if you want to stop for a drink while walking around.

Evidently, on the "other" side of the castle from the marina, there is a big pedestrian area with lots of shops but we didn't get there. (Was traveling with DH and 2 teenage sons.......who were NOT interested in shopping unless it involved clothes for them!)

As for restaurants - we had 2 meals at Alin's (right at the corner of the walkway that heads to the castle). Good food and really nice folks. We also had both lunch and a dinner at the La Jolla Cafe, which had great food and a really interesting selection of Turkish wines (surprisingly good!).
Old May 5th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your help. Am rethinking Kusadasi as base to see Ephesus and thinking of Sirince(sp?) and staying at the Nisanyan House Hotel. Would like a more authentic experience and will not be pining for beach time after 12 days in Greece and also live near beach in USA. Also have heard nice things about Ficantique. What do you think?