How long to Gatwick?

Search

How long to Gatwick?

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long to Gatwick?

I need to reserve a cab from Kensington to gatwick - I have a 1 PM flight - they are asking me time I want to be picked up? I do not know driving time - I also can't remember if you have to check in 2 or 3 hrs before flight? Thanks
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:37 AM

The Gatwick Express from Victoria Station takes 30 minutes. Otherwise if you take a cab you need to allow for traffic etc.
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:54 AM

To add to what huebie says, save time and expense by taking a taxi to Victoria Station and the train from there. The Gatwick Express costs 11 GBP. A South Central train costs 8 GBP and takes 40 minutes. As for check-in time, two hours is probably enough. However, you might want to call your airline to be safe.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:26 AM

Checkin for domestic and intra-European flights on most scheduled airlines closes thirty minutes before departure.

Only you can possibly know if you're travelling on an airline, or to a destination, that needs longer.

If it's a weekday, allow at least two hours to drive to Gatwick during working hours. But it really isn't a good idea: it always is less hassle, and more reliable, to get the train. Incidentally, if you're at the west end of Kensington, there is a direct South Central train from Kensington Olympia, though that station isn't hugely convenient for everyone.
Old May 19th, 2004, 01:41 PM

I agree w/ everyone else. Take the train. It will be MUCH faster, and MUCH cheaper than taking a cab.

As for check-in time -- you need to check w/ your airline because every one has different rules/requirements.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:14 PM

Forget the cab. The train doesn't go through London traffic.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:00 PM

What is the cheapest way for my wife and I to get from Gatwick airport to Heathrow airport, and then back to Gatwick from Heathrow 2 weeks later. Limo, train, cab or bus??? any help greatly appreciated.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 01:49 PM

Are you traveling light and don't mind carrying your own luggage from point to point? If so, your cheapest way would be to take a South Central train from Gatwick to Victoria Station for 8.00 GBP/person. Then take the tube to Heathrow (one transfer required en route) for 3.80 GBP. Do the reverse to get from Heathrow back to Gatwick. Another option would be to take a National Express coach directly between the airports for 17.00 GBP/person. A taxi would cost a small fortune. However you decide to do it, allow a *minimum* of five hours between your scheduled arrival at one airport and your scheduled departure from the other one. If you land late, are delayed getting through customs, or are caught in heavy traffic (if you take the coach), you'll use up your margin in a hurry.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 02:34 PM

TimS...Thanks for the info. Looks like the Bus for the trip to pickup the rental car. One last question. Do you happen to know the postal code for the Heathrow Airport area? I tried to check rates from the "just airports" limo company and they require a postal code to figure your rate from the airports they serve to your destination location...Thanks again
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:20 AM

The postcode for T2, which is pretty much the centre of the airport, is TW6 1EW.

But the postcodes of some of the car rental places, which look like what you want, are in the UB3 series. An example might be UB3 5AP
Old May 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM

Thanks to all that info I got from previous posts, I was able to solve my problem. So.... let me share with you all what I consider to be a real good deal on car rentals.

My problem arose this weekend when it finally dawned on me that 5 months ago I had made airline reservations to fly into Gatwick and due to the long delay in making the rental car reservations, combined with the loss of some cerebral gray matter, I had mistakenly reserved a car to be picked up at the Heathrow airport (28 miles away). Duhh!

After hours of online searches and numerous e-mail messages. I finally checked out Alamo Car rental and asked for a price quote for the week in a mini, 3 door, manual, economy car with a pickup at Gatwick, but with a drop off at Heathrow.

They came back with a price of $108 lbs and there was no drop fee. That price was well under the previous quotes I had received from most of the other car rental companies. The price includes unlimited miles and allFees/CDW/taxes/premium location fees, etc,etc.

If anyone is interested, their website is: www.alamo.co.uk I have received a confirmation number via the internet, as well as a toll free reconfirmation from some very helpful reps in the USA.

Now that I have touted Alamo's great prices in the UK, let me state that when I checked out their prices for a similar car for my next week in Mallorca, their quote was about $100 more expensive than the one I received from Record Rent A Car at the airport in Palma. I have booked a similar car for the low weekly rate of only 111.50 euro's using: www.DoYouSpain.com

Hope that helps some one looking for a good deal on car rentals.

PS....I'm really looking forward to this weekend. Great folk music and dance festivals in Wiltshire at Chippenham and also at Bath. Castle Combe has some events going on all weekend as well...Thanks again..adios