How long do I need for Windsor Castle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be driving from north of London to Windsor Castle - about 2 hours 15 minutes, according to Google Maps.

I want to meet a UK friend at Nando's for lunch, which is near the castle. I expect we'd get there about 11:30 for lunch, then head to the Castle.

How much time should I allow at the castle to do it justice?

Should I purchase tickets ahead?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:23 PM

If lines are short for me the 4 times i've been there i spent about two hours and was enough. But of course depends on individual - there are various separate parts to the visit.

2.5 hours to drive 25 miles or so - ah London's traffic but still seems very long to me.

There can be lengthy queues at the ticket window so buying ahead, if possible, may be warranted for folks on tight schedules

Personally i would not neglect Eton, across the Thames as a must part of any Windsor visit - peeking into the famous school courtyards, etc. Just a short stroll from the Castle area.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!

We are coming from the Rutland Water area, so will not be driving in London at all, but it's about 116 miles....so the time makes sense.

Okay...so how long for Eton? Less than an hour?
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM

You could easily do Eton in one hour. Unless it's one of the limited times during the year that the school is open to visitors you are just kind of peering in the grounds. But the walk is quite charming and it is quite worth it. For Windsor castle do check on what's open when you are there (when the Queen is there of course it's not all open). And if you have a chance there is a great documentary about Windsor Castle from BBC/PBS. "Windsor Castle - A Royal Year (2006)".
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. It looks like all will be open, according to the web site. How do you know if the Queen will be there beforehand, though?

And are there any discounts available? I scoured the 2for1 site, but didn't see Windsor listed.
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 08:30 AM

I think, but not sure, you can tell when the monarch is in residence by their flag flying over?

The Queen may not participate in the 2 for 1 scheme for her Historic Royal Properties in London but not sure.

and also check out the ornate old Windsor Central Train Station - a Victorian royal train shed just opposite the Castle - there used to be some royal train coaches there but not sure now.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you,m Palenque!

We're off tomorrow!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 06:33 AM

The Queen (or whoever makes such decisions) took her Kensington Palace, Windsor Castle and the Tower of London out of the Great British Heritage scheme a few years back - and may have opted out of 2 for 1 as well - though not sure royal properties ever offered it.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:14 AM
tod

Don't miss the Dolls House exhibit at Windsor Castle!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM

The Royal Collection - Windsor Castle
Find out more about the history of Windsor Castle and how it is used today on ... Among the highlights of a visit to Windsor is Queen Mary's Dolls' House, ...
- - -
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/de...=article&ID=34

Yes indeedy - don't forget about the Dolls' House as i did on a recent visit and then had to go back to see after a Fodor Friend expressed incredulity that i did not see it. This will bring out the kid in you.