Reload this Page >

How long are these distances?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 05:46 PM
molly

How long does it take to drive from: <BR>Rome to Sorrento? <BR>Rome to Florence? <BR>Florence to Venice? <BR> <BR>Also, if we take the train, how much time will we shave off each trip? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Diane

www.initaly.com has a link to a site that has all the Autostrada routes. You can also get distances between all major cities (both in miles and centimeters).

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 06:23 PM
Betty

The best I can figure it's about 2,500,000 centimeters from Rome to Florence. (Sorry, Diane, I couldn't resist - I know you meant to say kilometers.)

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:43 PM
Rex

Not sure why you didnt use a "eal mueasurement in poking fun, Betty <BR> <BR>2,500,000 centimeters = 25,000 meters <BR>= 25 kilometers = less than one tenth the distance from Rome to Florence. <BR> <BR>Presumably you meant to say 25,000,000. <BR> <BR>or 27,400,000 (per ViaMichelin.com) <BR> <BR>or 31,600,000 (per raileurope.com) <BR> <BR>Best (pedantic) wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 07:46 PM
Robin

The initaly.com driving distance cahrt is great, will give the numbers in MILES if you wish. Then you can avoid all this silly computation. <BR> <BR>Math...what is it good for?

Old Jul 11th, 2001, 08:36 PM
az

Molly: <BR>Drive time Rome-Sorrento on Autostrada about 2.5 hours at 80-90 mph, depending on construction--there was a good bit about a month ago. Obviously, drive time depends on how fast you feel comfortable driving (no speed limit on Autostrada) as well as traffic conditions (e.g. weather, construction during weekdays but less/none on weekends, etc). <BR>Train time depends on whether you take a high speed train that makes few/no stops or one of the locals that stops in every major town. There are also two major train routes: one along the coast and one farther inland; as I recall from some years ago, the inland route is the faster one, but more recent train travelers may provide more reliable info. Rome-Naples on the FS (Intercity) is about 2 hr. so Sorrento would be probably an additional half hour. <BR>For train schedules and fares, try: <BR>fs-on-line.com <BR>raileurope.com <BR>In summary, you have MANY options.

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Betty

You're right, of course, Rex. I left off a zero. Math was never my strong suit. If it matters, I'm now laughing at myself as much as I did at Diane's post!

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 04:18 AM
Rex

And I too, am now recoiling at my own typos! <BR> <BR>"eal mueasurement - - !!?? <BR> <BR>"real" measurement. <BR> <BR>Geez. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 12th, 2001, 06:19 AM
marj

Check out mapquest.com. The est. time they give tends to be longer than the actual time it takes (you can drive quite fast on the highways). If I remember correctly (we just drove that in March) each of those trips is somewhere around 2-3 hrs. The hard part is once you enter the city itself. In traffic it can take an hour in Rome once you get off the highway to get to the old part of the city. Other than the city driving the highway driving is very easy and there are some great stops along those routes if you want to explore some small towns.