How late do you wait?

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How late do you wait?

I'm in a quandary over a May 7th decision--
I can't decide whether to take Easyjet from Nice to Paris (around 50 euros for that day now) or take SNFC overnight (around 80).

What do you guys do when you want to play something by ear?

Can I expect these rates/availability to change dramatically for SNFC as well as Easyjet? Will I be able to make a gametime decision?

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 06:28 AM

Easyjet will get more expensive as it gets closer to the date, and the more people thatg book.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 08:14 AM

If you're going to book on easyjet, do it now. I've found that about 1-2 weeks from the date of travel, easyjet (on some routes, at least) is as expensive and sometimes more than other airlines.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:16 AM

I don't usually do things like that by ear, however, I would have no interest in an overnight train from Nice to Paris, anyway. I suspect few others would want to do that nowadays, as you can get there in a much shorter time by air (as yo know) or by TGV if you want. So, I would guess you would not have trouble getting that route by train. On the other hand, that is just before a holiday (May 8th) and a long weekend, so could be more booked up.

Untimately, I don't know, but SNCF fares do go up closer to the departure just like airfares if your quote is for an advanced purchase fare. They are still reasonable and your quote sounds normal to me.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:30 AM

It partly depends on what trade-offs you're willing to make. Taking an overnight train would likely be less expensive than flying plus a hotel room for that night, but you also have to try to sleep on a train. I took an overnight train once, and decided to never do it again, because sleeping was difficult (your experience, of course, could be different.)

I've gone between Paris and Nice by train and by plane and I much prefer flying.